OT: IIHF World Championship 2015 (Red Wings players @ tournament)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No, I'm being a realist. You're being country-centric with this.

Does Russia pay his sizable salary to play for the Detroit Red Wings? The last time I checked they don't, unless the Kremlin purchased the Red Wings from the Ilitch family yesterday and I missed it.

I bet there is number of bidders in Russia willing to pay his salary if he plays in Russia. So don't act like he has to be thankful he has a job at Ilitch's(who is a great owner and Detroit fans really can be thankful there).

And what you call country-centric is a very common thing in Europe. Playing for the national team is an honor and always above any team, league or salary.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I bet there is number of bidders in Russia willing to pay his salary if he plays in Russia. So don't act like he has to be thankful he has a job at Ilitch's(who is a great owner and Detroit fans really can be thankful there).

And what you call country-centric is a very common thing in Europe. Playing for the national team is an honor and always above any team, league or salary.

You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask again. Does Russia pay his salary to play FOR the DETROIT RED WINGS?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask again. Does Russia pay his salary to play FOR the DETROIT RED WINGS?

You overlooked the main point of my post. It is not about money. It is not ABOUT who pays his salary in this case. And last time I checked he fulfilled his contractual obligations by playing his usual magic hockey in the game 7. After that he's free to decide if he goes fishing, goes to the gym or plays for his country because there are no more Wings games to be played. Believe me the whole hockey world admires the Wings mind blowing consecutive playoff appearances record. But the team needs to reload quite substantially to be a contender once again. You might be not used to it as a Wings fan, but that's how it works. Once the NHL season is over for players many of them go to play at the World Championship.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Last thing Zetterberg needs is to play more hockey this year, same with Datsyuk. Just take the damn summer to rest.....please.

Z has played in the World Champs once the last nine years. Pavel twice in 10 years. It's a natural thing to want your players to rest but these guys have earned the right to do whatever they feel is right. May 15-September 15 is after all still a four month rest.

My guess is Pavel might be a late join for Russia, a couple group stage games and then the playoffs.

Only Swedish wing still on the table is Nyquist. However since he's a RFA I don't think he'll join, few players take that risk.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Both Tatar and Jurco should be joining the Slovak team.

Tatar might join the team as soon as on Saturday. Juco says that he's a bit battered and will stay in Detroit forr 3-4 days.

As for Jurco not going to the AHL, but to the WC. As has beeen peviously mentioned, Slovakia plays the group stage in Ostrava this year, which is just a short drive from the Slovak border and there will be so many Slovak fans that it will be a home atmosphere for them. You also have to realise that in some European countries like Slovakia the World Championship is the hockey event of the year in the non-Olympics years (in fact for a lot of people it's the only time in the year when they watch hockey) and it is hyped by all the media even more than TSN hypes the World Juniors. When the Czech or Slovak team wins a medal at the tourney, they can count on having a party with tens of thousands of fans in the streets afterwards, of becoming celebrities etc.

It might sound ridiculous to you, but we're talking about mostly people who (don't) care about the NHL at least as much as the American/Canadian fans (don't) about the World Championship. Therefore, it's no wonder that European players might have more motivation to play in the tourney than Americans for example, even moreso a young player like Jurco who has never played at the tourney before.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
hopefully Red Wings will get a good agreement with Jurco.

I don't personally care where he will play, as long as he plays. I just like when he plays men's games, American hockey League or WhC, both games will develop him.

If he likes to go to this tournament, then go and be back at American hockey league playoffs after that, if Griffins are having a long run.

With Mrazek.. if there's no starter position available with Czechs National Team, I would go to Grand rapids. Pavelec sucks, but if that's Czech coaching management choise to mess their home Tournament, that's their problem. :)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Both Tatar and Jurco should be joining the Slovak team.

Tatar might join the team as soon as on Saturday. Juco says that he's a bit battered and will stay in Detroit forr 3-4 days.

As for Jurco not going to the AHL, but to the WC. As has beeen peviously mentioned, Slovakia plays the group stage in Ostrava this year, which is just a short drive from the Slovak border and there will be so many Slovak fans that it will be a home atmosphere for them. You also have to realise that in some European countries like Slovakia the World Championship is the hockey event of the year in the non-Olympics years (in fact for a lot of people it's the only time in the year when they watch hockey) and it is hyped by all the media even more than TSN hypes the World Juniors. When the Czech or Slovak team wins a medal at the tourney, they can count on having a party with tens of thousands of fans in the streets afterwards, of becoming celebrities etc.

It might sound ridiculous to you, but we're talking about mostly people who (don't) care about the NHL at least as much as the American/Canadian fans (don't) about the World Championship. Therefore, it's no wonder that European players might have more motivation to play in the tourney than Americans for example, even moreso a young player like Jurco who has never played at the tourney before.

heard there's some agreement between slovakian gm and holland that jurco is going to whc if he clears a medical test.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Does the country which taught him hockey have a say in it? You're so money-centric with this.

It's up to Pavel to decide anyway.

You're on a wings board. You're going to get opinions on what's best from a wings fans mindset. I'm not on the Russian or international tournament board saying this. Has nothing to do with money and everything to do with my view as a wings fan.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Z has played in the World Champs once the last nine years. Pavel twice in 10 years. It's a natural thing to want your players to rest but these guys have earned the right to do whatever they feel is right. May 15-September 15 is after all still a four month rest.

My guess is Pavel might be a late join for Russia, a couple group stage games and then the playoffs.

Only Swedish wing still on the table is Nyquist. However since he's a RFA I don't think he'll join, few players take that risk.

They absolutely have the right. No where in my post did I say they didn't. I understand their desire to play for their national team. All I said was last thing he needs is to play more hockey. I don't really think it's debatable it would not be ideal for him to put more miles on his body and would be better suited resting over the summer. Based on his decision he clearly knew that.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
You're on a wings board. You're going to get opinions on what's best from a wings fans mindset. I'm not on the Russian or international tournament board saying this. Has nothing to do with money and everything to do with my view as a wings fan.

Thank you. Well put.

I personally care about what's best for the Detroit Red Wings, not what's best for the Russian team.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
heard there's some agreement between slovakian gm and holland that jurco is going to whc if he clears a medical test.

That's standard procedure AFAIK. All NHL players have to pass the medical tests before playing at the Worlds. Tatar has to pass them too. It's one of the reasons why they're likely won't make it until Slovakia's 3rd game.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Article says also Kronwall and Ericsson said no, because of injuries.

What is that? Ericsson played all season 82+7 games, Kronwall 80+6. Got some rest and supension.

Just like Jimmy Howard had the flu last playoff run :sarcasm:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Larkin getting PK time in the tournament opener vs Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->