GDT: IIHF WHC: Time to close thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No new GDT today so I thought I’d comment in here. I’m not saying Bill Peters is a lousy coach but when you’re at a tournament like the Worlds and you coach a Canadian team that gets blown out by Finland one day and then struggles to beat Latvia next, then that’s probably the case. Good Luck Calgary.

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No new GDT today so I thought I’d comment in here. I’m not saying Bill Peters is a lousy coach but when you’re at a tournament like the Worlds and you coach a Canadian team that gets blown out by Finland one day and then struggles to beat Latvia next, then that’s probably the case. Good Luck Calgary.

I was gonna post the same thing in the Mains GDT.

Peters is brutal.

And some of the Canadian players look like they forgot how to play

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Looking forward to the Oil playing a Peters coached Flames 6 times next year.

Reactions: frag2

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I was gonna post the same thing in the Mains GDT.

Peters is brutal.

And some of the Canadian players look like they forgot how to play

And who is the captain of this worlds team?? uggghhhh ugly win on a nice batted in goal, but seriously, time to elevate the play. This tournament is always so weak, and how many players are over there just getting more gassed. If I was Katz I would say NO to my assets going...

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm not saying that Peters is a bad coach or anything, but from what I've seen of him in Carolina and here he seems like a very uninspired, by-the-numbers cookie cutter coach, it's like he and McLellan are stepbrothers.

And it's starting to come clear why for all of the hype Parayko brings, his goal totals are strangely pedestrian...he misses the net a LOT.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm not saying that Peters is a bad coach or anything, but from what I've seen of him in Carolina and here he seems like a very uninspired, by-the-numbers cookie cutter coach, it's like he and McLellan are stepbrothers.

And it's starting to come clear why for all of the hype Parayko brings, his goal totals are strangely pedestrian...he misses the net a LOT.

Lol if we traded for him and paired him with Klefbom the end boards would be destroyed every game!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lol if we traded for him and paired him with Klefbom the end boards would be destroyed every game!
I really think we need to practice the miss shot more. I mean we can't hit the net so at least try for some sort of ricochet scenario.

Reactions: Aerrol

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know that it really was his fault. They actually did better than I expected.

Eh with how good their defense should be and how many talented young forwards they have I saw no reason they couldn’t have beaten Jersey out for a playoff spot. They’ve been ‘a team on the rise’ for five seasons now and nothing to show for it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Eh with how good their defense should be and how many talented young forwards they have I saw no reason they couldn’t have beaten Jersey out for a playoff spot. They’ve been ‘a team on the rise’ for five seasons now and nothing to show for it.
Their defense is so young Faulk at 25 and Van Riemsdyk at 26 are the grey beards of that defense

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
we are not clear yet

we now need to beat germany or hope Demark loses to Latvia

Technically not accurate. Canada has 12 points, Denmark 11, and Latvia 10. However, Latvia plays Denmark making it impossible for both teams to pass Canada (as Canada beat them both thus getting the tiebreaker in a tie with either of them or a three way tie).

That said, finishing fourth in this pool (which is possible) would be a huge disappointment.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Technically not accurate. Canada has 12 points, Denmark 11, and Latvia 10. However, Latvia plays Denmark making it impossible for both teams to pass Canada (as Canada beat them both thus getting the tiebreaker in a tie with either of them or a three way tie).
That said, finishing fourth in this pool (which is possible) would be a huge disappointment.

canada loses to the Na...germans and Denmark beats Latvia--Denmark 13 Canada 12

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
canada loses to the Na...germans and Denmark beats Latvia--Denmark 13 Canada 12

Top 4 teams advance though, so it's just the draw they get that would change. And your scenario gives Denmark 14 points (iihf has the 3-point system for wins).

3rd or 4th isn't much different though as it would be Sweden or Russia with 3rd getting the loser of their game tomorrow and 4th getting the winner.

Both teams would be pretty tough to beat.

What they really need to hope for is a US win in regulation against Finland coupled with them beating Germany by any means or US win in OT and win vs. Germany in regulation. That would allow them to catch 2nd and draw Czechs (though they wouldn't be much easier considering how Canada has played).

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
People comparing Peters to McLellan, who actually won the Worlds, is a bit harsh on Todd right now I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->