GDT: IIHF WHC: Time to close thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Sure a lot of people pretending they don't care that Canada lost in the bronze medal game.

It's not the Cup or the Olympics but come on, the Canadian performance last couple of games was less than inspiring.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sure a lot of people pretending they don't care that Canada lost in the bronze medal game.

It's not the Cup or the Olympics but come on, the Canadian performance last couple of games was less than inspiring.

Trust me, I am not pretending that I don’t care because I don’t care who finishes first or last in this tournament. I am too busy caring about the SC Playoffs insofar as sports is concerned this time of year.

As for this annual tournament, I only care if the players under contract to the Oilers come away injury free and had a positive experience that will make them better next year. And I hope all Flames and Leafs players contract syphillus and/or food poisoning while they are out cavorting the red light districts of whichever European city they are holed up in.

So if the Oilers had 4 players playing for Swaziland, I would hope Swaziland does well. Otherwise, this tournament means less than Minor Hockey Week to me, I just don’t care about it and never have, never will.

Adam Larsson from all accounts had a fantastic tournament, so that’s good for us.

Reactions: Summary

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Most people don't give a shit about the hockey world cup. I don't know one person that watches this. Its a consolation tournament. Nations that are over represented in the NHL tend to be underserviced by this tournament. If you can fly under the radar like Switzerland or Latvia, Germany, Slovakia and not have many players in NHL you can have some success in these world cups.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I was cheering for the Swiss in the Semis, as I really could care less if Canada won.

These games just don't really get me going. It's not just the fact that we sent goaltending that would barely make the Oilers.

The Americans were missing Wheeler, Guentzel. Russia was missing Ovechkin, Orlov, Kuznetsov,Vaseliseky

I just want to see a tournament that includes the best of the best.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I get the level of competition. But why send anybody if they're going to mail it in in the important games?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As with every year, we have a flood of posters filling the WHC thread with posts letting us know how little they care about the WHC. Which I always have found odd. If you don't care, why clutter the discussion up with your loud statements about how you don't care? No one is forcing you to care, but it pretty significantly derails any attempt to talk about the actual tournament for people who do care.

At least most of it was saved until after the tournament was done this year, so I'm thankful for that. Wasn't as hard as it usually is to follow via updates from @LaGu

Reactions: LaGu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As with every year, we have a flood of posters filling the WHC thread with posts letting us know how little they care about the WHC. Which I always have found odd. If you don't care, why clutter the discussion up with your loud statements about how you don't care? No one is forcing you to care, but it pretty significantly derails any attempt to talk about the actual tournament for people who do care.

At least most of it was saved until after the tournament was done this year, so I'm thankful for that. Wasn't as hard as it usually is to follow via updates from @LaGu
I followed, but not as a Canadian. It's become more of an individual tourney for me.

It had to nothing to do with tournament itself. I wanted to see how Sekera's leg was going to hold up. I wanted to see if Larsson could rebound and once he did rebound I wanted to see what he could do against some better teams. Was also nice to see Leon do well by himself

I then found myself pulling for the Swiss. Didn't really care how McDavid and Nuge did as I think we knew the chemistry was there already.

As a side note I'd be happy as a Leaf fan to see Andersen bounce back as well.

That Jekyl and Hyde Nilsson must make some Nucks fans a bit happy as well.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I followed, but not as a Canadian. It's become more of an individual tourney for me.

It had to nothing to do with tournament itself. I wanted to see how Sekera's leg was going to hold up. I wanted to see if Larsson could rebound and once he did rebound I wanted to see what he could do against some better teams. Was also nice to see Leon do well by himself

I then found myself pulling for the Swiss. Didn't really care how McDavid and Nuge did as I think we knew the chemistry was there already.

As a side note I'd be happy as a Leaf fan to see Andersen bounce back as well.

That Jekyl and Hyde Nilsson must make some Nucks fans a bit happy as well.

This makes much more sense to me. I tend to view the WHC similarly as well - Canada winning would be nice, but isn't really my primary interest if there aren't Oilers or Pens stars on it. We never field a 'full strength' team so we always have that excuse to fall back on. I just like to see how individual players do. In addition to the players I follow due to team, it was neat to see Hughes play and acquit himself decently. Did a lot to allay my concerns about how he'd adjust to the NHL - though he didn't blow the tournament away. Bit of a shame that Dahlin didn't come, but the Swedes might not have been able to give him much time anyways with that amazing blue-line they fielded.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This makes much more sense to me. I tend to view the WHC similarly as well - Canada winning would be nice, but isn't really my primary interest if there aren't Oilers or Pens stars on it. We never field a 'full strength' team so we always have that excuse to fall back on. I just like to see how individual players do. In addition to the players I follow due to team, it was neat to see Hughes play and acquit himself decently. Did a lot to allay my concerns about how he'd adjust to the NHL - though he didn't blow the tournament away. Bit of a shame that Dahlin didn't come, but the Swedes might not have been able to give him much time anyways with that amazing blue-line they fielded.
I found myself cheering for the Swiss during the semi game. They just looked like they deserved it and would've been a helluva story and a win for them and their Country.

I don't worry myself too much with prospects in the tourney to be honest. I mean they light it up there is something to be excited about, but the fact is for a lot of these guys it's a major shock. Playing with and against people they look up to. Potentially playing with Men or Pro's for the first time. There is a lot that must be going through their minds.

Reactions: Aerrol

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Most people don't give a **** about the hockey world cup. I don't know one person that watches this. Its a consolation tournament. Nations that are over represented in the NHL tend to be underserviced by this tournament. If you can fly under the radar like Switzerland or Latvia, Germany, Slovakia and not have many players in NHL you can have some success in these world cups.
Who are most people?
25% of Swedes watched the finals. 25% of Finns watched it (and they weren't even in the finals). Last time the Swiss reached the finals almost 20% of the Swiss watched it.

Just those three countries and we're already north of 5 million viewers. Add Germany, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Russia and I would probably more correctly say that most actually do give **** about the WHC.

The world cup (played in September 2016) as you referenced was not viewed nearly as much though, so I guess you are actually right there, sorry ;)

The thing about smaller nations upsetting bigger ones and having success is not based on facts. Smaller nations have upset bigger ones in IIHF WHC as well as the Olympics. Canada needed OT to beat the Swiss in the last best on best and had trouble against Latvia. Sweden lost to Belarussia in the QF in the Olympics, etc etc. It happens because the players in smaller nations play together much more often and are much more like a team than the teams stacking up with NHL players. That is the reason they manage to do some damage. That being said it is no coincidence that Switzerland, which right now have more and better players than ever in the NHL and just had a 1 OA pick for the first time, went to the finals. It is thanks to that, not despite of it. The most stacked team normally, not always, goes through to the semis and finals and the most stacked team almost always wins.

Edit: to each his own though. I am also glad these post didn't take over the thread sooner, which is what normally happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I found myself cheering for the Swiss during the semi game. They just looked like they deserved it and would've been a helluva story and a win for them and their Country.

I don't worry myself too much with prospects in the tourney to be honest. I mean they light it up there is something to be excited about, but the fact is for a lot of these guys it's a major shock. Playing with and against people they look up to. Potentially playing with Men or Pro's for the first time. There is a lot that must be going through their minds.

Oh I agree about the prospects. With Hughes I just meant to say he did much better than I expected which was good to see.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Who are most people?
25% of Swedes watched the finals. 25% of Finns watched it (and they weren't even in the finals). Last time the Swiss reached the finals almost 20% of the Swiss watched it.

Just those three countries and we're already north of 5 million viewers. Add Germany, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Russia and I would probably more correctly say that most actually do give **** about the WHC.

The world cup (played in September 2016) as you referenced was not viewed nearly as much though, so I guess you are actually right there, sorry ;)

The thing about smaller nations upsetting bigger ones and having success is not based on facts. Smaller nations have upset bigger ones in IIHF WHC as well as the Olympics. Canada needed OT to beat the Swiss in the last best on best and had trouble against Latvia. Sweden lost to Belarussia in the QF in the Olympics, etc etc. It happens because the players in smaller nations play together much more often and are much more like a team than the teams stacking up with NHL players. That is the reason they manage to do some damage. That being said it is no coincidence that Switzerland, which right now have more and better players than ever in the NHL and just had a 1 OA pick for the first time, went to the finals. It is thanks to that, not despite of it. The most stacked team normally, not always, goes through to the semis and finals and the most stacked team almost always wins.

Edit: to each his own though. I am also glad these post didn't take over the thread sooner, which is what normally happens.

Most people in NA. With hfboards being based in North America and this board based on the Edmonton Oilers, in NA... Do I have to explain the point of reference you encounter on this board?

For most people here the World championship is a sad consolation tournament for NHL players that don't make the playoffs or stay there. In anycase I already explained my posts yesterday, no reason to carry on, just responding to your query.

I get that the view on this tournament can be different in Europe. But this isn't Europe. If I had posted what I did on a Euro Centric board (I didn't) then you could call me out on what I detect as plurality here. Most people here watch NHL playoffs.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Most people in NA. With hfboards being based in North America and this board based on the Edmonton Oilers, in NA... Do I have to explain the point of reference you encounter on this board?

For most people here the World championship is a sad consolation tournament for NHL players that don't make the playoffs or stay there. In anycase I already explained my posts yesterday, no reason to carry on, just responding to your query.

I get that the view on this tournament can be different in Europe. But this isn't Europe. If I had posted what I did on a Euro Centric board (I didn't) then you could call me out on what I detect as plurality here. Most people here watch NHL playoffs.
Ouch, that almost hurt a bit, or at least it made me feel more of an outsider than before.

The point is though that you used a broad generalisation which is off, so now it's NA, or more specifically people in Edmonton. Honestly I would probably counter that with that it is actually the posters in a thread with the title IIHF WHC that counts in this case.

Coming in and saying that no one gives a shit in a thread with this title is a bit dickish towards the posters who want to discuss and read opinions about Oiler related IIHF WHC news.

I really don't see any point of what you are posting here, unless you are just trying to stir something up.

Anyhow, tournament is over. Thanks and bye to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

No one is forcing you to post in this thread. This is (was) a thread for people watching the tournament. If you don't enjoy watching it and discussing it, it's pretty easy to stay away from it as the title of the thread gives away what it's about. Going in here and talking about how no one cares is kind of stupid. Obviously some people care otherwise this thread would be empty.

Also good job on making europeans feel welcome around here. Sorry we're such a nuisance to you ;)

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
No one is forcing you to post in this thread. This is (was) a thread for people watching the tournament. If you don't enjoy watching it and discussing it, it's pretty easy to stay away from it as the title of the thread gives away what it's about. Going in here and talking about how no one cares is kind of stupid. Obviously some people care otherwise this thread would be empty.

Also good job on making europeans feel welcome around here. Sorry we're such a nuisance to you ;)
Yup. I skip over a lot of threads that don't interest me. This one does. He loves to complain.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

heh, my parents are from Europe, I'm first generation. As such a detached European but with it flowing in my veins. Glad you were jk, I engage a lot of Euro posters here and have welcomed many. More specifically posters that are willing to discuss different aspects of the OILERS TEAM than just the players of a certain heritage.

I left the thread, only came back to it to answer questions. If I don't do that I'm ducking questions, if I do do it I'm dominating a thread, I'm doing neither.

That aside so much of me feels euro even though I have lived all my life in NA. Everything I tend to like is Euro, music festivals, music, art, programming, economies etc. I'm a misfit in NA. I wonder how many feel that way.

Anyway I'll keep not posting in the thread as people continue to comment on my past posts in the thread. ;)

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

This board is based on the internet, "most people" can be from anywhere. The Edmonton Oilers fanbase is vast and global. Using the HFOil mods as a composite, one of our moderators lives in the Pacific ocean on an island full of spiders; half the moderators don't even live in Alberta!

Do I have to explain the point of reference you encounter on this board? Please don't go making others feel unwelcome, I don't think the results would be in your favour if the board got to choose who they'd rather have around.

Thread has run its course. Apologies it didn't get closed earlier...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->