Status
Not open for further replies.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
http://www.slamsports.com/Slam040617/hky_iihf-cp.html

ZURICH (CP) -- The inaugural Super Six club championship of Europe will be played in St. Petersburg, Russia, Jan. 13-16, 2005, and the International Ice Hockey Federation says it hopes eventually to arrange to have the European champion play the Stanley Cup winner to determine world club supremacy.

"Many fans are still talking about the great games between CSKA Moscow and the Montreal Canadiens in the 1970s and 1980s and the potential of games like these is even bigger today," says IIHF president Rene Fasel.

Interesting idea...not sure how well it would work though. I don't watch any European club teams but would they really be competitive with the Stanley Cup champs? Fasel draws the comparison between the CSKA-Habs games in the 70's, but back then most European players stayed in Europe so I imagine the club teams were stronger. Now that the vast majority of skilled European players are in the NHL, I'm not sure if it would be much of a contest. :dunno:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I think the NHL won't accept it or it will dictate its own rules again : NHL rinks, coaches, schedule, and in North America.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
It would be nice but I'm not sure NHL teams would be interested.
But europen champion vs. Stanley cup champion should be a great game anyway.

BCCHL inactive

wilka91 said:
I think the NHL won't accept it or it will dictate its own rules again : NHL rinks, coaches, schedule, and in North America.

I agree in general...but why coaches?

My concern is that I'm not sure if the Stanley Cup Championship team would want to have their season go longer than it already has.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
wilka91 said:

Frankly, if the NHL is so keen to gain a wider audience, they should be all for supporting this type of event. Maybe they'd be better off trying to model themselves on the international popularity of soccer rather than trying to kidnap fans and TV contracts from the NBA or NFL. It shouldn't be about the Tampa Bay Lightning saying they're too tired to play, it should be about the NHL making it an established part of league tradition, and every Stanley Cup champion should be pumped to prove they are the best on the planet and that they play in the best league.

I guess it sounds like I'm in favour of the idea, huh? :)

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
colonel_korn said:
http://www.slamsports.com/Slam040617/hky_iihf-cp.html

Interesting idea...not sure how well it would work though. I don't watch any European club teams but would they really be competitive with the Stanley Cup champs? Fasel draws the comparison between the CSKA-Habs games in the 70's, but back then most European players stayed in Europe so I imagine the club teams were stronger. Now that the vast majority of skilled European players are in the NHL, I'm not sure if it would be much of a contest. :dunno:
I dont like the idea, the NHL season is already long enough and most of the really good Euro's play here anyway.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
if i had just won the stanley cup, i would definitly NOT want to go play some meaningless game/series, possibly in another part of the world. there's no way the teams would be up for it

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Maybe the NHL would be scared of it, cause what if they played this "meaningless game" and actually lost? Then I guess the ego of the NHL (the players, media, fans, franchise owners etc), which consider itself the top league in the world, would get kind of bruised... and since hockey is a game where anything can happen, that possibility shouldn't be ruled out, there have been many big upsets in the sport of hockey. So I doubt the NHL would want it's bubble to burst by possibly losing to inferior European teams.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Hey, obviously it wouldn't be after the cup finals, come on. That makes no sense, and the European season ends two months earlier than NHL's. Most likely they'd like to arrange the matchu on next preseason. Though, the teams wouldn't be the same.

heatley15

you mean this year? or next? ... If it was this years... Tampa Bay would win because over half is canadian.
Its like Canada vs. Europe
Canada always wins

mackdogs*

Petey21 said:
Maybe the NHL would be scared of it, cause what if they played this "meaningless game" and actually lost? Then I guess the ego of the NHL (the players, media, fans, franchise owners etc), which consider itself the top league in the world, would get kind of bruised... and since hockey is a game where anything can happen, that possibility shouldn't be ruled out, there have been many big upsets in the sport of hockey. So I doubt the NHL would want it's bubble to burst by possibly losing to inferior European teams.

It's called a no-win situation for the NHL - why would they be scared? If the NHL team wins, it was supposed to be that way. If the NHL team loses, it's probably due to European officiating/diving.

(sorry - just had to add something equally as stupid as that reply to this thread)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The NHL would never go for it. They got much bigger problems to solve right now anyways, but I'd be shocked if it ever happened cause I would love to see it, so it won't happen. Would be cool to see say, Omsk vs Tampa. :eek: :yo:

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
The only way this will work is if they split the difference from a true International Rink to an NHL rink and that would make both parties happy, IMHO

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
mackdogs said:
It's called a no-win situation for the NHL - why would they be scared? If the NHL team wins, it was supposed to be that way. If the NHL team loses, it's probably due to European officiating/diving.

(sorry - just had to add something equally as stupid as that reply to this thread)

That's not stupid (well your Euro officiating/diving comment was pretty stupid but that's another story), think of it: IF the NHL team would lose (despite NHL refs as I'm sure the NHL wouldn't allow anything but NHL refs anyway), the league as a whole would feel ashamed that their best team lost to an inferior opponent, and the fans that have always believed that the NHL was the best league (rightfully so, I must add) would be pretty embarrased or upset and say "Never again, this was a waste of time, the SC is the only thing that matters" etc... you can't say it would never happen, as there have been, and will always be, many upsets in sports history. Besides, motivation can sometimes beats class and I have a feeling that the NHL teams would hardly be the most motivated teams as they're not the underdogs.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I'd be all for an idea like this, but I think it would have to changed to a European All-Star team perhaps because I just don't think that the Euro Champions could hold there own.

And I'd have the game/series played in a develloping hockey nation (Italy, France, Denmark, Norway etc.) to help spread more interest.

ping

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
Don't you think also that they might not want to do it because it takes away from the Stanley Cup. The Stanley Cup is well regarded as one of the best trophies. There's history and everyone wants the cup. It's not like the NBA where half the people don't even know the name of the trophy. As such the way it is right now the Stanley Cup is a great marketing tool.

If this goes down then the ultimate winner can still lose. I may be out to lunch a little bit and I don't know if I even buy all of what I"m saying but I thought I'd throw that theory out there.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
AS a hockey fan i'd love to see this game concept go ahead. Unfortunately for a range of reasons i don't think it will.

Logistical and financial reasons are at the fore at this tentative time for the NHL and probably on the Euro side.

But what woul dhappen if the euro team won to the integrity fo the cup and the fans??

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
First of all, this game won't be held this year since there isn't a current European champion (the tournament will arraged next season after a 8 year break). Secondly, the only time it can be played is before the start of the NHL training camps.

Assuming they'll face each other in Europe, it should be at a neutral venue, possibly the biggest arena of the Euro champ's country. If that arena is the biggest of the country, fine. Should it be one single game or a best of 3 series? The NHL club could hold their tranining camp in Europe and play other teams as well, so the trip wouldn't be for just one game. A huge money prize should also be given for the winner (atleast 1 million €).

degroat*

A few things...

1. Like I said in another thread... it's foolish that their determining the European champion in January, 8 months after [and in the middle of the next season] the champions of the individual leagues are crowned. If this tournament to determine the European champion was held immediately after the conclusion of the finals of each league, this idea would have more of a chance.

2. The fear of losing European players would probably be enough to turn the NHL off of this idea. Many of these players don't like leaving their home countries to begin with and if they could play in their home country and play for a hockey 'World Championship' then some players would be inclined to play in Europe instead of coming ot the NHL.

Badger Bob

The finest European players want to play in the finest league, which happens to be the NHL. European leagues can identify themselves as "Elite" all they want, but it doesn't change the fact that the caliber of play is not of the same level. After two months of grueling playoffs, followed by a short summer to celebrate, then prepare for the next season, players would never go for the idea (as was already mentioned).

If this concept has any substance, let the European champion play against the AHL champion. The World Cup and the Olympics are the only international tournaments that matter.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Badger Bob said:
If this concept has any substance, let the European champion play against the AHL champion. The World Cup and the Olympics are the only international tournaments that matter.

European clubs wouldn't be interested in playing against AHL teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->