WC: IIHF The Totally Ice Hockey show podcast

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not sure if this is the best place for it, but thought people might be interested, and could not think of anywhere else. If not please move it Mods!

British based Muddy Knees Media (who have an extremely successful line in soccer podcasts, which have been critically acclaimed by the NYT and The Observer) have branched out into hockey at the IIHF Worlds.

Involves a 30 minute podcast that is released at around 00:00 EST each day reviewing the days play and looking forward to the next.

Freely available on Audioboom and Apple podcasts

Audioboom / The Totally Ice Hockey Show

‎The Totally Ice Hockey Show on Apple Podcasts

Pretty good way to keep up with the action if pushed for time or don't feel like watching some game.

So far have had guests such as Tuomo Ruutu, Darren Dreger, Uwe Krupp and Tony Hand. (and myself... ;))

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The podcast is available anywhere you can get podcasts, not just in those two places. I get it via my preferred podcasts app, Pocket Casts (available on both Android and iOS).

I listen to it every day, and it's nice, trying to pay balanced attention to all the teams. (Unlike, say, the annoying no. 1 Canadian hockey podcast, Hockey Central at Noon, which is, in reality, just a glorified Maple Leafs podcast, although it pretends to cover the entire NHL. I'm stunned that Canadians tolerate such blatant Toronto-centrism. There's lots of backlash here in Slovakia against Bratislava-centrism – and that backlash, not attendance concerns, is the main reason why Slovakia has been placed in the Košice group in this year's tournament, and such in-your-face, unabashed Toronto-centrism, as seems to be standard in Canada, would never be tolerated in Slovakia in relation to Bratislava.)

The British podcast host, James Richardson, is a pretty funny guy, and he's made me laugh out loud quite a few times with his remarks, exemplifying typical British humour. He struggles with the correct pronunciation of Košice every day but, actually, frequently gets it right. I listen to podcasts via earphones while walking down the street, so my bursting out laughing may have raised some eyebrows in passers-by. I don't think all the guests always get Richardson's jokes, even when they're native English speakers. The other day, Richardson asked a Canadian lady journalist, "Do you think they'll be able to deposit their Czechs in the game tomorrow?", and that seems to have passed her by, but I don't blame her – I barely caught the joke myself. :D

On the other hand, what annoys me is the praise James Richardson keeps lavishing on the IIHF app ("fabulous, superb, excellent"...), highlights from the tournament, etc. I know he's probably contractually obligated to do so (most of us are expected to fawn to our employers), but it's still annoying.

The IIHF goal highlights are outrageously bad. Just 10-second snippets, you can barely enjoy the goal, no replay, etc. Or, vice versa: one of the amazing Kaapo Kakko goals was posted only as slow-motion replay, no live action. That's pitiful. IIHF should look at NHL.com to learn how to produce goal highlights: live action of the goal (including full post-goal celebrations!), multiple replays, etc. Each NHL goal typically gets a 90-second highlight or so, not just the meagre 10 seconds.

Also, the IIHF tournament website is an abomination, but there, NHL.com is no better. Atrocious web design, difficult to navigate, lacking crucial data, ugly oversized fonts everywhere (as if all hockey fans were shortsighted) – a disaster. If you wish to get any meaningful stats (such as who was in goal in the game!), you need to avoid the tournament website, head over to 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship instead, and download awkward, difficult-to-parse PDF files there. Overall, a terrible situation.

So, if James Richardson and the podcast crew cannot criticize how awful the IIHF goal highlights and tournament website really are, I'd welcome if they at least stopped heaping such undeserved praise on them. ;)

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I just listened to one broadcast and while I enjoyed it it didn't seem like the broadcast team had a real good handle of or knowledge of the international game and games here in general. At some points it sounded like they were on the ball and in many others their analysis seemed really off.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Wish there was a daily recap NHL podcast similar to this.

I like Game Misconduct with Don La Greca, available, for example, here:

Game Misconduct with Don La Greca Podcast | Free Listening on Podbean App

He's a backup radio play-by-play announcer for the Rangers, so he tends to talk about teams from New York a bit more, but it's not as extreme as with the Toronto-centric podcasts. It's issued on weekdays (except when Don is too busy), 20 to 30 minutes per episode, short & sweet.

I just listened to one broadcast and while I enjoyed it it didn't seem like the broadcast team had a real good handle of or knowledge of the international game and games here in general. At some points it sounded like they were on the ball and in many others their analysis seemed really off.

"On the ball" is a good metaphor here. :D Actually, given that James Richardson has been covering football all of his life, I find it remarkable he's capable of producing ice hockey podcasts as well. Yes, there are occasional gaffes, but they're there in Canadian and US hockey podcasts, too.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

Yeah I had the same reaction. I actually think Richardson does a good job as host, but some of the guests have some of the blandest, most superficial takes possible. If you're asked to describe Germany's performance and you spend 5 minutes talking about Draisaitl, mentioning 8 times how he had 100 points in the NHL this year and completely ignoring the other 20 players on the roster, then you might not be a very good analyst.

Still, it's well-made and it's neat to see this coming out of the UK.

Reactions: Faterson

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah I had the same reaction. I actually think Richardson does a good job as host, but some of the guests have some of the blandest, most superficial takes possible. If you're asked to describe Germany's performance and you spend 5 minutes talking about Draisaitl, mentioning 8 times how he had 100 points in the NHL this year and completely ignoring the other 20 players on the roster, then you might not be a very good analyst.

Still, it's well-made and it's neat to see this coming out of the UK.
Yeah, that was my problem with it too, stuff like you just mentioned hit the nail on the head.

I will agree with you that it is cool to see it coming out of the U.K. Overall, I enjoyed the podcast aside from the stuff we mentioned.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I like Game Misconduct with Don La Greca, available, for example, here:

Game Misconduct with Don La Greca Podcast | Free Listening on Podbean App

He's a backup radio play-by-play announcer for the Rangers, so he tends to talk about teams from New York a bit more, but it's not as extreme as with the Toronto-centric podcasts. It's issued on weekdays (except when Don is too busy), 20 to 30 minutes per episode, short & sweet.

"On the ball" is a good metaphor here. :D Actually, given that James Richardson has been covering football all of his life, I find it remarkable he's capable of producing ice hockey podcasts as well. Yes, there are occasional gaffes, but they're there in Canadian and US hockey podcasts, too.
lol,"on the ball" didn't know he he was a football guy, thanks for that little bit of info. You are right, there are a few gaffes in Canadian and American podcasts as well, sometimes quite a few of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad