IIHF bans Russia and Belarus

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
Reading some hockey sources and the comments of Russian fans, they mainly don't care. Some suggested that they are looking forward for better attention to the MHL and as such better development. Hockey will suffer internationally.

Reactions: Fantomas

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Feel sorry for the people involved not backing this war up, but i dont really see Russia participating in anything internationally for a long long time.

It seems that participation in IIHF-sponsored events in the foreseeable future is out! Beyond that, the war will greatly affect when or if participation is resumed some time in the future.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Terrible for Russian and Belarusian hockey, Ukrainian even more so obviously, but the level of their international integration has been so low that I don't see this damaging European hockey as a whole all too much.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Just in case, North Korea is playing international hockey games without any major issues I think.

They were attending the IIHF World Championships annually for about two decades until the pandemic. But at the same time it must be said that they haven't been well-integrated in international hockey, as good as never taking part in any other events. For example never joining the Olympic qualification tournaments or playing any exhibition games.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Realistically Russia will be the North Korea 2.0 for the next 20+ years. I will be very very surprised if we will see an international game that involves Russia in that timeframe.

I dont think, this will last so long. Imo, next season at least Russia will be in some form back. This war will end until summer and after that they will do everything possible to make things as usual.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
I dont think, this will last so long. Imo, next season at least Russia will be in some form back. This war will end until summer and after that they will do everything possible to make things as usual.
I could be wrong of course, but I think some of the sanctions will remain longer than that even if we can get an agreement between Ukraine and Russia very soon.

I think the swift ban will be lifted almost immediately since no one will benefit from Russia turning into a third world country. But on the other hand the western countries need to statue an example that is is not acceptable to invade another country and that the drawbacks will just magically disappear.

Let’s not forget that during this time Russia has also managed to:
* Threatening the world with nuclear weapons.
* Violated Swedish airspace
* Explicitly threatened Sweden and Finland with military attacks.

As a Swede I wouldn’t just be able to stomach going back to status-quo without Russia suffering long term consequences from this.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Reading some hockey sources and the comments of Russian fans, they mainly don't care. Some suggested that they are looking forward for better attention to the MHL and as such better development. Hockey will suffer internationally.
That's some prime copium on their part.

"I don't care and I didn't really like international hockey anyway." Yeah, sure buddy.

Nope. Summer's gone and the war hasn't ended. Russia in international hockey is not happening anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino