Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
IIHF - New OT format at Worlds

The new overtime format is as follows:
  • Preliminary round games: 5-minute 3-on-3 + shootout
  • Quarter-finals/semi-finals/bronze medal game: 10-minute 3-on-3 + shootout
  • Gold Medal Game: 20-minute periods 3-on-3 sudden-death

So no more shootout in the gold medal game.

Off topic but there needs to be a World Championships prefix like on the old board.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Fixing an old problem by creating a new one isnt really fixing the problem in my mind.
Nothing but 5-on-5 sudden death should decide a championship game of high-level hockey. I'm sure we agree on that.

This is a step in the right direction.

member 305909

In the knock-outs it should be 20 min overtime. What difference does it make if it is 5, 10 or 20 as they are not playing the next Day.

In soccer shoot-outs are awesome but in hockey somehow artificial to end a game.

However, if you don't want to go to the next morning that is the least worst option.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In the knock-outs it should be 20 min overtime. What difference does it make if it is 5, 10 or 20 as they are not playing the next Day.

In soccer shoot-outs are awesome but in hockey somehow artificial to end a game.

However, if you don't want to go to the next morning that is the least worst option.

Multiple games being played on the same arena the same day. You can't have games being postponed due one game going long. That would create scheduling conflicts for the broadcasters.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't disagree with the idea, but most broadcasters likely wouldn't agree to that.

The chances of a game going beyond one overtime are pretty low. Also, despite the protests of some European fans (not to single Albatros specifically out) it seems that the IIHF should be more like the NHL and focus less on money and what broadcasters want.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Theoretically it would be nice, but the reality is that this season ca. 25 million francs of their 31 million total income is from marketing contracts (coincidentally managed by ex-FIFA boss Sepp Blatter's nephew by the way), so the broadcasters inevitably have massive influence.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The chances of a game going beyond one overtime are pretty low. Also, despite the protests of some European fans (not to single Albatros specifically out) it seems that the IIHF should be more like the NHL and focus less on money and what broadcasters want.

That's exactly the opposite of how a governing body of a sport should do. Remember that the men's Worlds, along with the WJCs, are one of the main revenue sources for the IIHF. That revenue covers the costs of the lower divisions tournaments and all the other tournaments that don't make a profit and help with all the other projects a world governing body does. Many of the broadcasters are not sports networks and thus have to consider their tv schedule. IIHF and the sport of ice hockey are not in a position where they can ignore the finances and broadcasters.

Edit: Albatros covered the marketing revenue above so that just reinforces the position of not ignoring the bradcasters.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Theoretically it would be nice, but the reality is that this season ca. 25 million francs of their 31 million total income is from marketing contracts (coincidentally managed by ex-FIFA boss Sepp Blatter's nephew by the way), so the broadcasters inevitably have massive influence.

I think it's Infront who handle the tv contract of far too many sports in my opinion. They are one of the reasons national broadcasters are having trouble getting the rights to major sporting events. Even commercial networks and pay tv have complained about or are having issues with the prices. For example, Finnish Viasat lost UCL and LA Liga.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's exactly the opposite of how a governing body of a sport should do. Remember that the men's Worlds, along with the WJCs, are one of the main revenue sources for the IIHF. That revenue covers the costs of the lower divisions tournaments and all the other tournaments that don't make a profit and help with all the other projects a world governing body does. Many of the broadcasters are not sports networks and thus have to consider their tv schedule. IIHF and the sport of ice hockey are not in a position where they can ignore the finances and broadcasters.

Edit: Albatros covered the marketing revenue above so that just reinforces the position of not ignoring the bradcasters.

My post was primarily sarcastic given how sanctimonious posters get regarding the NHL compared to the IIHF. Anyway, that's all well and good, and I expect to see you chime in the next time there is a stampede of nauseatingly pro-IIHF posters who are in a race to call the NHL "corrupt" or "greedy" for allowing money to impact its decisions.

Reactions: Past Considerations

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The IIHF competitions cost ten times more to organize than they bring in without broadcasting or sponsorships (after which they barely break even), greed is not their motivation. Corruption there obviously is in international hockey as well.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
One step forward, one step back...

I find it funny that nominally the gold medal OT is 20 min. With 3vs3 that ever going beyond 10 minutes would require some pretty magical goaltending.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad