IIHF 2021 World Hockey Championships could be cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I'm not surprised it's delayed and I completely understand why it was done, but now my flight will be about $250 more expensive to get over there. Drat!

member 305909

What do you think: Could Belarus be divested of hosting next year's tournament if the political turmoil escalates in that country? Should they lose the tournament?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
What do you think: Could Belarus be divested of hosting next year's tournament if the political turmoil escalates in that country? Should they lose the tournament?

Fair question.

Also, we don't know what the COVID-19 situation will even be like. Can the tournament take place without any fans?

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Why are IIHF putting a tournament in that dictactor ship? Switzerland should host this tournament not belarus. This is a joke, no good Swedish player want to travel there.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

If this situation go further and also in Mai there were angry people on the streets, the WCH will be played in other country. No doubt.
There could be also some players, that will refuse to play, because dictator...

And no, this tournament cant be played before empty seats.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
If this situation go further and also in Mai there were angry people on the streets, the WCH will be played in other country. No doubt.
There could be also some players, that will refuse to play, because dictator...

Yeah sure. Same as WCH 2014.

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Riga was expensive accomodation wise because it was their first big tournament of any kind post Soviet occupation and anyone who could gouged. That's not likely to be the case this time, as it left a very bad mark on the country and affected over-all attendance. People were litterally flying in for games cheaper than staying there. But there are also more hotels now, and with only half the tournament, there will be less demand.

I just did a quick search on TripAdvisor and unfortunately, it is still the case for next year. Hotels that would go for $80 are being jacked up to over $200 per night...hello AirBNB!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well that certainly makes things interesting. Neither country would be able to host on its own due to arena size regulations and I think it would be far too late for another country to step in as co-host. Who knows, maybe it will revert to Switzerland after all.

I think, Russia can help its Belarus friends.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

“To be clear, the Expert Group’s job will be to review all potential risks that currently exist with the ability of Minsk/Riga to function as tournament hosts,” said IIHF General Secretary Horst Lichtner.

What If:
- they will find out all is in good conditions, Belarus government assured us, there will be no issues with people on the streets
- Latvia will still refuse to cooperate because the political situation in Belarus

Will they:
A) search for a other country to co host the WCH with Latvia
B) dismiss Latvia and will seek to make it in Russia alone (they can do it without much issues)
C) dismiss Latvia, stay with Belarus and they will do it with Russia

GX

Dec 28, 2011
I would believe that if (when) IIHF will declare Belarus fit to host, Latvian government might decide to strip the Latvian federation of the extra financing allocated for co-hosting the tournament. At that point, either someone else provides the financing (some sort of IIHF emergency fund or a 'donation' from Gazprom) or Riga group is played in Russia as the sole hockey country ready to co-host it with Belarus at this point.

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Riga group is played in Russia

I'm not doubting this as a possible outcome, after all, everything seems to be possible at this point. However, depending on when the call is made for Russia to host the Riga group, imagine the nightmare that would be getting the necessary visas for players, officials, tournament staff, and pretty much everybody else.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Latvia should stop embarassing themselves. I would rather see Latvia scratched for their antics.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I REALLY missed the World Championship in 2020 so let's hope it gets played in 2021. :sarcasm:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Props to Latvia. Clearly they have motives in this but until Belarus has a real legitimate government they shouldn't be hosting anything.

Has UN declared Belarus government illegitimate or is it just some countries from a certain power bloc?

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Canadian and Russian hockey federations need to get together and get this sorted out with these two countries.

We can’t have another year without the IIHF tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad