WC: IIHF 2019 Bratislava

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Yes, the post-communist mentality makes people rapacious. It is what it is. It's the earliest, crudest stages of capitalism around here, and there's a price to pay for that. Especially by those who live 365 days a year here, though not in hotels. When I wish to have a civilized shopping experience, I walk over from Bratislava to the first Austrian village. ;)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes, the post-communist mentality makes people rapacious. It is what it is. It's the earliest, crudest stages of capitalism around here, and there's a price to pay for that. Especially by those who live 365 days a year here, though not in hotels. When I wish to have a civilized shopping experience, I walk over from Bratislava to the first Austrian village. ;)

I decided to book a town about 30 minutes by train from the Arena--£110 for 13 days

Productive day at work today

Booked my Hotel and flight--Flying into Budapest and tacking the 3 hour train to Krosic(I lived in Budapest and have lots of friends there)

Flight +Accommodation = £180

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Well, to be honest, Canada playing in Kosice put a slight damper on my travel plans. Was going to do Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Bratislava - Budapest, but will take overnight train from Prague to Kosice instead (or fly) then do Budapest/Vienna. Anyone know what to expect in terms of ticket cost? Aiming to be in Kosice for Canada vs. Finland game.

Getting my sports fix with French Open in Paris (end of May) and Cricket World Cup in London in early June. :naughty:

member 305909

We Finns have fond memories of the tournament held in Slovakia. Perhaps history will repeat itself.

Reactions: Jussi

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It will be interesting to see how the pricing is. Hopefully the Slovaks do not do what the Danes did and allow all the locals to buy them first then resell them and try to get huge return.

Most of the games last year sold out--but the arenas were half empty due to the fact people who usually fly in to do the games did not fly in because they could not get tickets ahead of time

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
So 60 euros for Tier 1 and 45 euros for Tier 2 tickets (Canada vs. Finland). Ticket sales begin September 19th. You guys think it'd be safe to wait till January to buy the tickets, or should I buy them ASAP?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Just to clarify: the tickets going on sale this Wednesday, September 19th, will be daily tickets, not tickets to individual games. If Canada happens to play on the same day as Slovakia, those tickets will be gone instantly. (Obviously, when they play each other, too.) Also, you can buy "all round-robin games by Canada" tickets (starting from €380) or "all games in Košice/Bratislava" tickets (starting from €1015/€1590) this Wednesday. Tickets for individual games will only go on sale in February 2019 – if there are any left, I guess. (Perhaps it's mandatory for at least some of them to go on sale that way, too.) Hard to tell about that Canada vs. Finland matchup specifically – it's an attractive one, so it might well sell out quickly... or not. :skeptic:

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Just to clarify: the tickets going on sale this Wednesday, September 19th, will be daily tickets, not tickets to individual games. If Canada happens to play on the same day as Slovakia, those tickets will be gone instantly. (Obviously, when they play each other, too.) Also, you can buy "all round-robin games by Canada" tickets (starting from €380) or "all games in Košice/Bratislava" tickets (starting from €1015/€1590) this Wednesday. Tickets for individual games will only go on sale in February 2019 – if there are any left, I guess. (Perhaps it's mandatory for at least some of them to go on sale that way, too.) Hard to tell about that Canada vs. Finland matchup specifically – it's an attractive one, so it might well sell out quickly... or not. :skeptic:
Hmm, I see. I mean, that package is not a bad deal. 95 euros for two games including CAN/FIN and US/SVK.

Reactions: Faterson

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sadly--the prices are a bit low for follow your team--so I suspect that we will have a replay of this year in Denmark where the locals grab the tickets to resell them

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
We Finns have fond memories of the tournament held in Slovakia. Perhaps history will repeat itself.

Plus we happen to have the same coach now as then. Jalonen is also on good terms with out NHL players and I think they're contract situation is promising for us, Apart from Laine, I think most potential key players have signed new ones recently.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So 60 euros for Tier 1 and 45 euros for Tier 2 tickets (Canada vs. Finland). Ticket sales begin September 19th. You guys think it'd be safe to wait till January to buy the tickets, or should I buy them ASAP?

I waited last year and all tickets were sold. The Danes bought tickets just resell them. Because of that a lot of people who usually go did not go. For the Canadian games atleast

oksun

Jan 2, 2013
U all critzied the danes, when they sold tickets, no you are wrong that was a proper sell, but this is so bad, i have been on since 9.00 am, can't even get in on this shit, I only want to buy a team package for Denmark, shitholes

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Yeah, I just gave up. Will try for single game tickets in February. If that doesn't work, I just won't do Slovakia as part of my trip.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
This country is thoroughly dysfunctional, governed by ex-communists for 10 out of 12 most recent years, with neo-nazis entering the parliament 2 years ago, etc. etc. You can't expect ticket sales, out of all things, to work as expected in a country like that, can you? There have been news reports today about server collapses, hacking attacks, large-scale resellers, etc. etc.

(For the record, the previous world championships in Slovakia were held in 2011, which was one of the two exceptional years when Slovakia was not governed by ex-communists. Not that it necessarily means anything – just a fun fact... Although there's also a funny and entirely fact-based graphic somewhere showing that whenever ex-communists were in power in Slovakia, Slovakia bombed at the world championships the following year. Whereas when pro-Western prime ministers were in office, those were the best days of Slovak hockey, with lots of medals including gold. That trend goes back to the 1990s, and it's quite an amazing "coincidence", isn't it?)

Reactions: palsoft

member 305909

What do you think? Was South-Korea last spring the worst ever team to have appeared in the too-flight? Far worse than Japan were when there was the silly Asian-quota.

Or perhaps Greæt Britain was the worst ever in 1994?

Hopefully GB can put up a better performsnce next spring. Hopefully Belarus will not be promoted back. In 2020 they are guaranteed prologiin as they are the hosts in 2021.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
No complain about the technical aspect of the sale, I went on the ticket portal at 10.20 am (had a meeting at work, I couldn't try earlier) and managed to buy two day packages at 11.40. I thought the website handled the traffic load pretty well.

Unfortunately I couldn't get any good seat, and a quick look at stubhub and viagogo clearly shows who bought the tickets. Frustrating, but I don't know what (if anything) can be done against scalpers.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's weird. Apparently, for three teams – Slovakia, Czech Rep, and Germany – the "Follow Your Team" tickets immediately sold out yesterday. At least those that were supposed to go on sale yesterday. For all other teams, the webpage currently says "Not on sale yet" for the "Follow Your Team" tickets. I don't think that's how it was announced the ticket sales would proceed. But again, no chaos in this country should surprise you. There's even a saying for that: "Na Slovensku je to tak." ("That's just the way it goes in Slovakia.") :D

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->