WC: IIHF 2019 Bratislava

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I guess I’m not a millionaire hockey player with a model girlfriend who needs to blow thousand of dollars on designer stuff (joke based on several players and their girls I saw last year in Germany) but I’m excited the US is in Kosice. I can climb mountains in three countries and watch the USA games.

No offense to anybody I did not want Bratislava

Reactions: Faterson

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Canada are apparently up in arms about having to play in Kosice... Are Canadians that arrogant that they think they can bully the IIHF to change this?

Slovenskí organizátori hokejového šampionátu majú problém: Kanada nechce hrať v Košiciach!

Canadian entitlement issues? Shocker... Having Canada in Teplice makes sense because Italy, Austria and the Czech Republic get to play in Bratislava. Which means more fans for those games. If Canada doesn't want to play in Kosice, maybe they should just stay home

Reactions: Faterson

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I can climb mountains in three countries and watch the USA games.

Which would be the third country? ;) I'm only aware of Slovakia and Poland in the vicinity (in terms of mountains). Paying a visit to the High Tatras is a must, and most of it is located on the Slovak side of the border. Košice is a lot closer to the mountains than Bratislava is, so for tourist purposes, no one can really ask for a better location. It's always possible to visit Bratislava on one's way back and out of Slovakia. (You can literally walk out of Bratislava to Austria.) Eastern Slovakia as a whole is backward, but that doesn't really apply to its major city, Košice, and to Slovakia's main tourist attraction, the Tatras. So, all is well, I'd say. :nod:

Reactions: McCoy

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Which would be the third country? ;) I'm only aware of Slovakia and Poland in the vicinity (in terms of mountains). Paying a visit to the High Tatras is a must, and most of it is located on the Slovak side of the border. Košice is a lot closer to the mountains than Bratislava is, so for tourist purposes, no one can really ask for a better location. It's always possible to visit Bratislava on one's way back and out of Slovakia. (You can literally walk out of Bratislava to Austria.) Eastern Slovakia as a whole is backward, but that doesn't really apply to its major city, Košice, and to Slovakia's main tourist attraction, the Tatras. So, all is well, I'd say. :nod:

I would assume Ukraine?

In regards to Canada complaining about playing in Kosice, that's just ridiculous. If they grant that Canada be moved to Bratislava and Sweden to Kosice I will be majorly pissed off. I am looking forward to seeing Sweden in Bratislava.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
So here's the deal the IIHF can offer Canada: the NHL will interrupt their precious play-offs for the duration of the tournament, just like all the other hockey leagues from all the other countries on this planet (except NA), so that Canada (and everyone else) can send their best team to compete, and in exchange for that, Canada will be allowed to play in Bratislava instead of in Košice. I believe that's an offer Canada can't refuse.

And Košice ain't no ****hole – I believe it's fully comparable to Halifax where Canada themselves hosted the tournament back in 2008. At any rate, Košice is a lot closer to Slovakia's tourist attractions (High Tatras and others) than Bratislava on the periphery of Slovakia (and, in fact, on the crossroads to Austria and Hungary).

I'm saying that despite living within walking distance of the Bratislava arena where the tourney will be played. But I'm fine with all those great teams playing the preliminary group in Košice. There will still be the decisive play-off games in Bratislava, after all.

Oh, and to our Finnish friend: Finland may well get to play their quarterfinal game in Košice, too (Slovakia is, as an exception, guaranteed to move to Bratislava for a potential play-off game, regardless of its seeding), so the only way Finland can be guaranteed to play in Bratislava next year at all is if they move on to the semifinals. Otherwise, it could be all over in Košice for them. But, as said, that's no big deal.

Do you honestly think Hockey Canada has the power to change the NHL schedule?

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
I suppose the Canadians had a bad experience last time around playing in Kosice.

The ice quality in the Danish arenas was absolutely horrendous. Hopefully they won't have those problems in Slovakia.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Well, if they don't, we can hear how meaningless the tournament is anyway

Lol the tournament for the most part is meaningless, Canadians say this when we win it too. Its nothing more than a fun spring hockey exhibition tournament in Europe, a little pre day warm up to the Stanley Cup playoffs that air later in the evening here in North America. Nice to win sure, but losing it doesn't really determine anything. Cheers! :thumbu:

Reactions: jj cale

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Do you honestly think Hockey Canada has the power to change the NHL schedule?

I wouldn't bother arguing with him, he legitimately thinks Hockey Canada has a say in how/when/where international tournaments are held. That alone kinda says all you need to know about his knowledge on international hockey.

Reactions: jj cale

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Ukraine. The Karpaty region is kinda the last corner of that country I haven’t been to. I’m not at all familiar with how much of the Tatras are in Slovakia or Poland. Just know they run through both and having seen photos im well stoked to go spend a week in Kosice area. I’ve been to Bratislava and it’s fine but if the US was there I’d prinably stay for a few games and leave.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Finnish teams Olympics 2022 of current talent in secondery threads.

Last edited:

member 305909

I am lookingforward to next year's tournament. Hopefully there will not be as many one-sided games as this year.

Also hope that Great Britain avoids relegation. Unlikely but one can always hope.

member 305909

Either South Korea this year or Great Britain in 1994 has been the worst ever team in modern times to have appeared in the top flight. Therefore, as I hope that GB avoids relegation, which may be a futile hope but hopefully they will be able to put up a bit better performance next year than 25 years earlier in 1994.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
me and my hooligan friends are talking about the world championships and I am starting to see why Canada did not want to play in Kosice.. A few of my friends have done business there and due to the size of the city most of the hotels, BnB's and apartments will be taken up by countries involved and that you if you want to go--you will need to book a place outside of the city and try to commute to the games.

Also--they said it will be interesting to see how many no's team Canada and team USA. Not saying anything bad about the city, but I know a lot of guys who travel who say that they wont be going to Kosice but might take games in Brataslav

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am amused by how much the hotels in Kosice jacked up the rates during the games. A small hotel that usually sells a room for £20 per night is now selling it for £120

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As if that wasn't happening wherever a prestigious sporting event was taking place...

In my previous experience with world championships--not as much as this time around.

I have done 10 here in Europe and most jacked up their price by 25 to 30%

but in researching and talking with different hotels we are now talking about 200 to 300%

I was in Kosice before and I paid £100 for 4 night--the same hotel for four nights is asking for between £250 to £350 per night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad