IIHF 2011 DIV III worlds South Africa...

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
South Africa - Israel.

IT'S ON MOTHER****ERSi!!

Last edited:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
And so it began...

South Africa leads Israel 2-1 after the first period.

Last edited:

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
I wonder how these guys would stack up compared to the average local guy around here.

A guy I played Junior C with practiced with the South Africa team for the 2 years he lived there. Said as a 16-17 year old he was one of the better players on the ice. On our junior C team he was a bottom 6 winger.

That is the only thing I have ever heard about hockey in these countries. Take it for what it's worth.

Edit: Also just noticed South Africa has a goalie on their team that is 6'8" and weighs 304lbs!

20 BOCK Ashley GK L 2.02 / 6'8'' 138 / 304 20 AUG 1987 Pretoria Warriors

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I'm mostly astounded at the South African goaltender, listed at 6-8, 304 pounds. If he had any mobility, he might be a pretty good goalie.

babblemoth

my heart and I agree
Mar 7, 2010
ON
bock.jpg

Ashley Bock on left and Gary Bock on the right.

Article here - http://www.icehockey.lu/championshi...nd-down/bock-brothers-do-it-for-south-africa/

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Holy **** thats big. Any better than the Sumo that Sports Science had?

My friend lives in South Africa, but shes never mentioned anything about hockey (Besides mentioning they have a few ice rinks). Knew they had a team though.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately I arrive in Cape Town just after the tournament ends.

Would have been great to see some hockey while in South Africa, oh well.

So how do these teams match up against North American players? I know there was a South African playing junior A here last year, but I can't say I've heard of too many more.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

So how do these teams match up against North American players? I know there was a South African playing junior A here last year, but I can't say I've heard of too many more.

If I had to take a wild guess I'd assume a bit better than a mens senior league, or maybe Junior C or low end Junior B.

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
I know there was a South African playing junior A here last year, but I can't say I've heard of too many more.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=64301

Israel has Eliezer Sherbatov on roster, he scored two important goals tonight, GTG 5 minutes before end of regulation and GWG in overtime.
Daniel Erlich (Guelph Storm, OHL), Oren Einzeman (AHL/ECHL this season) and Max Birbraer (only Israeli player drafted ever) were on preliminary roster, first two probably declined invitation, Birbraer needs undergo surgery.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
I remember watching a segment on Swedish TV a couple of years ago about the national team of Luxembourg. Don't remember much, but I do remember that they were going to play a game and no one had the national anthem on a cd/tape or whatever. So someone played a midi version of it on a cellphone before the game.

psuflyer

Feb 27, 2002
Drexel Hill,PA
Visit site

According to the schedule there are still games going on. Three today of which two have taken place and it looks like the last two games are on Sunday.

His Beardliness*

Israel - Greece 6 - 0

First not done.

:facepalm:

I am actually enyjoing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad