Prospect Info: Igor Shvryov [125th overall]

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I like him strictly for the name.

I know absolutely nothing about anyone we've drafted out of Makar.

So I'll enjoy learning about them from the more knowledgeable posters :laugh:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Gotta like his numbers. And I have no problem with an overager this late. Seems intriguing at first glance. I like what I'm hearing from you guys who know about him as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh boy I am happy about this one! The challenge will be getting him over to NA. The kid can really play and is dominant offensively. He struggles when played physically, but you can't teach his hands, skating, smarts combo. Elite offensive skill set... elite.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
From what I've read he sounds like a Maxim Afinogenov type player; speed to burn and great stickhandling, but a really bad shot who doesn't play with much physicality.

For a 5th rounder, he's a decent pick. Some of these Russian kids can come out of nowhere a few years after they've been drafted so it's nice to have one like that.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Oh boy I am happy about this one! The challenge will be getting him over to NA. The kid can really play and is dominant offensively. He struggles when played physically, but you can't teach his hands, skating, smarts combo. Elite offensive skill set... elite.

Would be awesome if we could bring him over now. He would get a lot of playing time in SA, could get use to NA ice and adjust to the physicality.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

We did manage to convince Mironov to come over eventually. We'll have four years now to do so.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Where do you think he would have went last season, sans the Russian factor??

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Where do you think he would have went last season, sans the Russian factor??

He has a top 10 worthy skill set, but you can't just eliminate the Russian factor. Very similar to Gusev in that manner. Huge upside, has shown absolutely no desire to come to NA.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
One of Russia’s top young talents who was Stalnye Lisy’s first line center and scoring leader, Shvyryov is arguably Europe’s most talented draft-eligible playmaker. The work needed to get him to leave Russia for North America is part of what keeps him relatively obscure — he was kept off Central Scouting’s rankings despite being one of the MHL’s top point and assist producers. Shvyryov is a dynamic offensive player with excellent vision and hockey sense, and he’s deadly in odd-man situations. He has very good straight-line speed and can hammer the puck with accuracy, plus he’s defensively responsible and won 56 percent of over 1000 faceoffs. Stalnye Lisy relied on him for every key moment, and their power play was humming thanks to Shvyryov’s stickhandling, patience and ability to draw penalty killers away from the middle of the ice.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft-headquarters/2017-draft-profiles/c-igor-shvyryov/

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Second most exciting pick for me. Really want him to come over. Everything I've read says he has wow factor offends and is a game breaker.

Excellent pick.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
With a few Russians on the team (Zadorov, Varlamov, Mironov), it might help convince him to come over.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
With a few Russians on the team (Zadorov, Varlamov, Mironov), it might help convince him to come over.

I agree he's more likely to want to come over seeing that group besides not.

He did post extremely good numbers and based on his highlight package, has insane vision and playmaking. I'm all for high IQ and vision players. Seems like a great pick even if there is the Russian factor.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Any idea what his plans are as far as playing in Russia? Will he be moving up to the KHL?

Played ten games for Metallurg last year and I would guess he will definitely get more games next year. Metallurg is always a top team in the KHL, just lost in the Gagarin Cup Finals this past season, but they're always a very good club. Because of that, he might find himself playing more VHL games this year as those top KHL teams rely more on veteran talent (he's also too good for the MHL it seems so no point putting him there). VHL is pretty much the AHL league of Russia.

Can't really see him enjoy Magnitogorsk too much.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...rks-mmk-donat-sorokintass-picture-id628514660

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
How do you pronounce his name? Sheev-rov?

Швырёв - Shvyr'ov.

Sh-v-: you pronounce it exactly as written.

-y-: you don't have this vowel in English. The closest one is -i- or -ee- but you need to make the sound deeper in your throat.

-r'-o-v: you need to pronounce palatalized r (another concept English doesn't have) and then simply finish with ov. If you've done your homework and learned how to properly speak Varlamov's name (which is Sem'on) then you just need to do the same thing.

The stress is placed on -o- because in Russian "ё" is always under stress.

It's simple, really :popcorn:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Played ten games for Metallurg last year and I would guess he will definitely get more games next year. Metallurg is always a top team in the KHL, just lost in the Gagarin Cup Finals this past season, but they're always a very good club. Because of that, he might find himself playing more VHL games this year as I think he's too good for the MHL. VHL is pretty much the AHL league of Russia.

This is what I expect. Metallurg is likely too good for him to get significant minutes, but VHL would be perfect for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad