Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Also means SKA will try harder to sign Shestyorkin to a new contract next year when it’s up. (probably)

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
Anyone got a stream for this one?

BTW, hope its OK to discuss streams on a game like this. Norway Russia B before the WCHs. Would anyone even take the rights if they got it for free?

It will be on Norwegian TV (just checkedm it's on TV2 Sportskanalen), but I guess they didn't have to break the bank to acquire them. If you have a Norwegian friend with a TV2 Sumo account, that's also an alternative.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

It sounds like he's going to the Oilers instead.

This is great news for Shesty. He'll be the #1 for them next season. He can come over the next year after getting a full season as a starter under his belt in a professional league.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Maybe this is somewhat useless information but I'll post it anyways. I noticed that the Rsngers official Instagram account started following Shestyorkin's Instagram page maybe a week ago.

Interesting timing, will they somehow get him over now? Or have they started courting him, making sure he doesn't sign another deal with SKA?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Maybe this is somewhat useless information but I'll post it anyways. I noticed that the Rsngers official Instagram account started following Shestyorkin's Instagram page maybe a week ago.

Interesting timing, will they somehow get him over now? Or have they started courting him, making sure he doesn't sign another deal with SKA?

Former seems unlikely. You'd have to hope that they are in fairly regular contact with him though. Make him feel wanted in NYC.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

They can't bring him over now, because the buy-out window has already passed. He can't buy out the last year of his KHL contract.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Must be thinking longterm with Shesty departing after next season. But this sure doesnt help Shesty’s development by having another veteran come in and steal playing time.

Yeah, NHL retreats routinely get preferential treatment even when they leave NA without any kind of notable success (or worse).

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Russia HC said Shesterkin will be the started in one of the upcoming back-to-backs against Slovakia or Sweden.

Putting him in raw against Sweden would be a little bit too much. Remember, how Canadian goaltenders faired against Finland yesterday. Just asking for trouble. So it´s probably a start against Slovakia. He should start against both, though.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Putting him in raw against Sweden would be a little bit too much. Remember, how Canadian goaltenders faired against Finland yesterday. Just asking for trouble. So it´s probably a start against Slovakia. He should start against both, though.

Let’s not come up with excuses just yet. His role here is as #2 goalie so it is what it is. Koshechkin has been very average so far, so Shesty just need to take care of his part and let the chips fall before elimination round starts.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am going out on a limb here, but I would like to claim that we without competition have the best back-up goaltender outside the NHL!? ;)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah this was my thought too when I saw that SKA lost Koskinen. Nilsson or someone like that will surely be signed.

Since then Nilsson said that he’s not looking to get out of his contract and relocate to KHL just yet.

Reactions: Ola

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
We will be having Igor Eronko on my radio show Off the Post tonight at 5:30. We will be discussing Shestyorkin coming over as well as his Islander highly touted counter part Ilya Sorokin. Tune in/call up! 631-676-2968. We will also be asking him about Ilya Kovalchuk

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just to update here, Magnus Hellberg has been traded to SKA. He'll compete with Igor for playing time.

New interview from the SKA and Russia goalie coach. He did one last week as well that I posted in the World Championship thread, but here's what he said this week.

- He is not going to leave for the NHL?
- He has another year of contract in SKA. As far as I know, after that he wants to leave. We with the club discussed the question of how to try to keep it. We would be interested. But I do not know if it will be possible. And is it correct to do so at all. There is always a time when goalkeepers need to leave and develop. While last season, when Igor began to often appear in the SKA, he immediately attracted attention from the "New York Rangers". This season he was also called from there. So there is interest from the NHL to Shesterkin. In this case, Lunquist has two more years of contract with the Rangers. Therefore, Igor needs to think whether he should leave next year or it will be better to play a season in SKA.

Рашит Давыдов: «На Чемпионате мира у нас не было вратарских поражений»

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Just to update here, Magnus Hellberg has been traded to SKA. He'll compete with Igor for playing time.

New interview from the SKA and Russia goalie coach. He did one last week as well that I posted in the World Championship thread, but here's what he said this week.

Рашит Давыдов: «На Чемпионате мира у нас не было вратарских поражений»
Two interesting things here:

1. Sounds like he definitely intends to come over after next season. Assumed that was the case but always good to see more to suggest its happening.

2. We'll have a recent guy we have some idea of the NHL skillset for playing in the same system with the same supporting cast to compare Igor with. If Hellberg puts up similarly eye popping numbers, I'm personally going to be a bit concerned but I doubt he will.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koskinen put up somewhat similar, albeit worse numbers over two years, and now he's getting a chance to be the backup in Edmonton. He didn't initially make it it in the NHL. He went back to Europe, and improved. Thats what Hellberg's trying to do now, and I think he's doing well. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 seasons he's back in the NHL. I also don't think he's that bad. He was a good AHL starter. Its not that inconceivable that he could improve some and be an NHL back up 3-4 years later.

Shestyorkin also obviously isn't an elite NHL starter already or anything like that. Its not that unlikely that he might not be significantly better right now than a fringe NHL guy. But he's also 4.5 years younger than Hellberg, and there's no regular NHL goalie younger than him, so that has to be kept it in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->