Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yes Dawes is saying details are wrong
Such as the team slaughtering a sheep and pouring its blood on the goalposts

Or that the team slaughtered a sheep but didn't pour the blood on the goalpost, it simply slid down the ice... None of this says the entire story is false. The ending with "I do not even understand why it ended up in the media" seems sketchy to me.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I meant to reply to this earlier, I have nothing against someone blowing of steam like Malamud did. Everyone wants to be so politically correct, but sometimes you get worked up. Fine.

But I just cannot see any substance behind what he is writing. What does Putin have to do with it? SKA has some very rich ‘owners’ (it’s not a pro league so it doesn’t work like over here (NA)). These owners has — kept —supporting their team through a period many other teams have had cut backs.

Now SKA has pwned the KHL thanks to it. So they are getting a call here and there? I watch a SKA game now and then — sometimes it’s like refs want to stick it to them. Are they getting calls at other times? I would guess so, but its very not unique that the most powerful teams manage to build up a reputation. Barca got calls against Chelsea in the CL — AGAIN. Real feels like Barca is getting calls against them too.

European sports have never been equal. Many many sport leagues across Europe have a few number of teams that win everything. In soccer, how many teams in the top 20 leagues has ever won a championship? 25%? It’s not 50%.

I just see nothing odd there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I meant to reply to this earlier, I have nothing against someone blowing of steam like Malamud did. Everyone wants to be so politically correct, but sometimes you get worked up. Fine.

But I just cannot see any substance behind what he is writing. What does Putin have to do with it? SKA has some very rich ‘owners’ (it’s not a pro league so it doesn’t work like over here (NA)). These owners has — kept —supporting their team through a period many other teams have had cut backs.

Now SKA has pwned the KHL thanks to it. So they are getting a call here and there? I watch a SKA game now and then — sometimes it’s like refs want to stick it to them. Are they getting calls at other times? I would guess so, but its very not unique that the most powerful teams manage to build up a reputation. Barca got calls against Chelsea in the CL — AGAIN. Real feels like Barca is getting calls against them too.

European sports have never been equal. Many many sport leagues across Europe have a few number of teams that win everything. In soccer, how many teams in the top 20 leagues has ever won a championship? 25%? It’s not 50%.

I just see nothing odd there.

Have you seen all the comments people on twitter have made that because of this tale by Malamud that Shestyorkin's production is basically invalid? :laugh:

Reactions: Ola

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Have you seen all the comments people on twitter have made that because of this tale by Malamud that Shestyorkin's production is basically invalid? :laugh:
Yeah, that is so infuriating. People who have actually seen him play gushes about his technique and play. That’s what’s most important, anyway.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Maybe he'll play if they lose another game.

Why isn’t Shest playing?

In 2006 Russia worked to ban foreign goaltenders in the Russian league:
Ryssland förbjuder utländska målvakter - DN.SE

It’s behind a paywall, but I kind of remember the content. It’s what the headline says. They didn’t think the young Russians got enough of a chance, many teams got experienced foreign goaltenders.

Between a young Russian and a Finn — I would definitely expect the Russian to play if it were close. It’s close. It doesn’t matter who SKA puts between the pipes — they are winning it anyway. I am surprised that Shest is sitting? This is the type of thing that the Don Cherrys of Russian hockey surely would blow a fuse over — why is that old Finn in the net and not our young future?

Is SKA not happy with Shests future plans? Would be good for us! :)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I understood last year when Shesterkin was a backup but he became their starting goalie this season so this is a switch to a trusted back up.

Koskinen is not in the same same hierarchy as Hank, but I could see a situation when Shesterkin comes over, eventually takes over as a regular season starting goaltender but coach decides to go with Lundqvist when playoffs hit.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Hasn’t there been a history of KHL teams burying young talented goaltenders to prevent them coming over to NA?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why isn’t Shest playing?

In 2006 Russia worked to ban foreign goaltenders in the Russian league:
Ryssland förbjuder utländska målvakter - DN.SE

It’s behind a paywall, but I kind of remember the content. It’s what the headline says. They didn’t think the young Russians got enough of a chance, many teams got experienced foreign goaltenders.

Between a young Russian and a Finn — I would definitely expect the Russian to play if it were close. It’s close. It doesn’t matter who SKA puts between the pipes — they are winning it anyway. I am surprised that Shest is sitting? This is the type of thing that the Don Cherrys of Russian hockey surely would blow a fuse over — why is that old Finn in the net and not our young future?

Is SKA not happy with Shests future plans? Would be good for us! :)

Hard to know.

I would guess its as simple as Koskinen had won them a Gagarin Cup before Shestyorkin established himself. And then Koskinen won another last season. He's played well in the playoffs, also.

I don't think there's much doubt over who the better goalie is, but let's remember this is also the same coach who played Kosechkin at the Olympics over Shestyorkin and Sorokin because he has more pro experience. Didn't seem to matter that he was clearly the worst of the three and nearly was losing them matches by himself.

But I don't think Koskinen can play poorly and not have his spot under threat. If we remember back to last season, Koskinen got injured, Shestyorkin played well and then kept his spot for the beginning of the next series even when Koskinen returned, although the leash on Shestyorkin was ridiculously short. One loss and he was out.

So I think it's a situation where they trust Koskinen, despite probably knowing he's worse, but won't trust him until he loses them a series. I don't think there's a terribly long leash for him. Contract status might also contribute. Koskinen's in the final year of his deal, and he's said he wants to try to play in the NHL, although the NHL has to have a team offer him a contract for that to happen. I'd prefer he re-ups with SKA, so they are less likely to make a big push to sign Shestyorkin.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
If Shestyorkin isn't coming to NY this summer, after the treatment he's been given by Znarok in both SKA and the national team, I wouldn't expect him to come over, ever. Nobody with an ounce of ambition and self-respect would stay with that organization unless he's just happy to collect the paycheck & stay at home.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He's repeatedly said his goal was to come over and play with the Rangers, and that his idol is Lundqvist.

But please, go ahead and assume the worst.

Reactions: Dactyl

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If Shestyorkin isn't coming to NY this summer, after the treatment he's been given by Znarok in both SKA and the national team, I wouldn't expect him to come over, ever. Nobody with an ounce of ambition and self-respect would stay with that organization unless he's just happy to collect the paycheck & stay at home.

I agree with one thing: He is not coming over this summer. Because he is signed until 2019. Everything else in this post is nonsense

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Maybe hes staying there because he's still under contract, and not that he doesn't want to play in the NHL?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He should buy out the final year of his contract and get the f*** out of dodge.

I see all of these reasons for him not playing while being the better goalie.

How does that help him become better.

And I'm asking that from his POV not mine.

He's got a long career ahead of him be that here or there, sitting behind an inferior goalie will atrophy his career if he's not careful.

Buy out the final year of your deal, come o NA and work with one of the best goalie coaches on the planet in Benoit Alaire along side a 1st ballot Hall of Famer in Lundqvist.

Reactions: klingsor

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should buy out the final year of his contract and get the **** out of dodge.

I see all of these reasons for him not playing while being the better goalie.

How does that help him become better.

And I'm asking that from his POV not mine.

He's got a long career ahead of him be that here or there, sitting behind an inferior goalie will atrophy his career if he's not careful.

Buy out the final year of your deal, come o NA and work with one of the best goalie coaches on the planet in Benoit Alaire along side a 1st ballot Hall of Famer in Lundqvist.

He would have had to do that by January. 18 months advance notice of the end of the contract.

Reactions: pld459666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad