Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
So I know I complain about him giving up tough goals but outside of that and him not getting a shutout (until tonight!) is really the only thing to complain about him. He's been remarkably consistent. Other than one really bad game his rookie year coming back right after a car accident where he gave up 5 goals in 39 minutes he's never given up more than 4 in the other 33 games and has only given 4 5 times in 34 games.

I compared it to Hank's first 34 games and Hank's were actually better, not accounting for minutes played they were better by 0.23 (2.38 vs. 2.15) BUT the save percentage is 0.927 for both. Granted most of that is from Igor's first season.

Here's the breakdown by goal:

Goals againstIgorHank
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Man this team has been spoiled by great goaltending.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Blackburn's weightlifting injury is on my list of top Rangers health-related regrets, below the death of poor Cherry, obviously, but somewhere amid Sauer's concussion, and the knees of Kloucek and Cherneski.
Almost thought you forgot about Stefan until I read the last word.

It is crazy how many things occurred in the not so distant past.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So I know I complain about him giving up tough goals but outside of that and him not getting a shutout (until tonight!) is really the only thing to complain about him. He's been remarkably consistent. Other than one really bad game his rookie year coming back right after a car accident where he gave up 5 goals in 39 minutes he's never given up more than 4 in the other 33 games and has only given 4 5 times in 34 games.

I compared it to Hank's first 34 games and Hank's were actually better, not accounting for minutes played they were better by 0.23 (2.38 vs. 2.15) BUT the save percentage is 0.927 for both. Granted most of that is from Igor's first season.

Here's the breakdown by goal:

Goals againstIgorHank
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Admittedly the shutout thing never bothered me. I kind of treat shutouts like hat tricks. They're great to see, but if I had a choice, I'd trade the milestones for consistent game to game play.

I think we've talked about Shesterkin for so long around here that we've almost forgotten he hasn't even played 40 games at the NHL level. It FEELS like he's been around forever, but he's a rookie and getting his first look at quite a few teams and players. Heck, there are going to be teams and players he only sees for the first time next season. So for as good as he is, there's still a lot left for him to do.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
My only concern with the kid is his groin. Once you’re injured, no matter how great it feels with rehab, it’s never the same. With Lundqvist we were absolutely blessed to see a long, thriving career with minimum games out due to injury. To see Igor at his age, already out two years in a row with groin injuries, concerns me.

Reactions: DekeR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i remember but 3 years isn't really that long look at the Flyers lol.

But yeah, Blackburn was a heartbreaker, and then Dunham in the pre-lockout years... but that team was just trash up and down

You forgot Guy Hebert.

Edit: Just looked him up, he played in 00-01 for the Rangers, which I think is before Richter retired.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
i remember but 3 years isn't really that long look at the Flyers lol.

But yeah, Blackburn was a heartbreaker, and then Dunham in the pre-lockout years... but that team was just trash up and down
3 years is like above-average for an NHL team lol.

It blows my mind that there are NHL teams out there that historically cannot find a goalie. Historically.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
...according to MoneyPuck’s model (min. 10 games [and yes, I realize some of these stats sound ridiculous:laugh:])
  • 7th - Goals Saved Above Expected
  • 8th - Goals Saved Above Expected Per 60
  • 10th - Save % on Unblocked Shots
  • 7th - Wins Above Replacement (Goalies)
  • 7th - Save % on Shots On Goal
  • 6th - Medium Danger Unblocked Shot Attempt Save %
  • 8th - High Danger Unblocked Shot Attempt Save % Above Expected
upload_2021-4-15_18-36-20.png

Flame away.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
...according to MoneyPuck’s model (min. 10 games [and yes, I realize some of these stats sound ridiculous:laugh:])
  • 7th - Goals Saved Above Expected
  • 8th - Goals Saved Above Expected Per 60
  • 10th - Save % on Unblocked Shots
  • 7th - Wins Above Replacement (Goalies)
  • 7th - Save % on Shots On Goal
  • 6th - Medium Danger Unblocked Shot Attempt Save %
  • 8th - High Danger Unblocked Shot Attempt Save % Above Expected
View attachment 422781

Flame away.

So you can be a top 5 goalie and just give your team an extra 3 points in 40 games? Or am I reading this wrong?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So you can be a top 5 goalie and just give your team an extra 3 points in 40 games? Or am I reading this wrong?
6 standings points over 82 games is a lot. Colorado (1st) and Buffalo (31st) are separated by 37 standings points. 6 is not close to 37 but getting 6 standings points from 1/20th of your roster is a shitload. IIRC Panarin had 4.4 WAR last season which is literally bananas.

Remember, though, it’s a rough/approx. estimation of value, not like an Atomic number or something. :laugh:

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
6 standings points over 82 games is a lot. Colorado (1st) and Buffalo (31st) are separated by 37 standings points. 6 is not close to 37 but getting 6 standings points from 1/20th of your roster is a shitload.

Still it’s a rough/approx. value, not like an Atomic number or something. :laugh:

Do skaters have that stat?

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Do skater have that stat?
F/D/G all have:
WAR (Wins Above Replacement)
GAR (Goals Above Replacement)
SPAR (Standings Points Above Replacement)

Just read about it online, man, there are numerous articles that explain all of it infinitely better than I can. :laugh:

You can read about it on Evolving-Hockey. Unfortunately, you have to be a Subscriber to actually view the stats themselves (other than basic box score stats,) however...
“The raw data used to create the metrics found on Evolving-Hockey is acquired via our scraper which can be found on GitHub.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad