Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have felt personally he needs to get in there and find his game, not keep going back to Georgie so often. I'm not denying both goalies weren't great early on, but I would have preferred he let him work through it.
It does not appear to you that Shesterkin has found his game?

Again, he is playing 70% of the time. Where is this “Georgiev is playing is often” narrative coming from?

Reactions: haveandare

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I still think Igor isn't quite where he was last season but he's close. He actually reminds me a lot of Henrik when he first got here and how aggressive he was, but Benoît will no doubt reel him in.

I still see him chasing too many wide pucks out past the posts and really putting himself out of position when it comes off of lively boards. All this stuff is correctable and will be.

I'm not worried at all and glad we got this kid, even with the hairband.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I still think Igor isn't quite where he was last season but he's close. He actually reminds me a lot of Henrik when he first got here and how aggressive he was, but Benoît will no doubt reel him in.

I still see him chasing too many wide pucks out past the posts and really putting himself out of position when it comes off of lively boards. All this stuff is correctable and will be.

I'm not worried at all and glad we got this kid, even with the hairband.

He's given up 3 goals like that this season. Is that some kind of record?

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
He's given up 3 goals like that this season. Is that some kind of record?

lol no idea - but it infuriates me to no end since for years I've coached minor hockey goalies away from that habit. It really should be something gone within this season, he's clearly been doing this long before he came here. Just a bad habit that gotta be broken :)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
lol no idea - but it infuriates me to no end since for years I've coached minor hockey goalies away from that habit. It really should be something gone within this season, he's clearly been doing this long before he came here. Just a bad habit that gotta be broken :)

I'm sure he would have gotten better at it during a regular season. He probably can't practice with Allaire like he would in a normal season.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
That may be the worst non contact injury I’ve seen for a goalie.

Lets hope this isn’t Blackburn part 2. That would be our luck wouldn’t it?

Goalies don’t recover from those easily

f***

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It frustrates me that he hasn't been able to get a shutout and that he gave up a few big goals in the third but one thing he's better at than Hank early in their careers is that Hank used to have these games where the roof caved in. Igor in his career gave up 5 goals once and 4 goal a handful of times. He almost never has a real bad game not judging by the scale I judge him which I'll admit is unfair.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, that 5 goal game was right after his car accident and was such an outlier last year you have to think that was the issue. And one of the 4 goal games was game 1 against the Islanders this year where no one was ready to start the season under weird circumstances.

Reactions: McSauer

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let's hope last night gets him rolling. A very Game 6 vs NJ Richter-like performance last night. Let two in and then stood on his head and closed the door for the rest of the game.
I was more thinking the performance was like many we have seen Henke do over the years. Absolutely giving his team a chance to win by saying "None Shall Pass"

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Think the Thatcher Demko 5x5 contract that he just signed is probably a pretty good comparable for Shesterkin. Both from the ‘14 draft class. Demko was a 2nd rd pick. He’s played twice as many games as Shesterkin and his numbers overall aren’t quite as good, but he’s been good for a bad Vancouver team this year.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'll probably get shit for saying this but he's a better talent than Lundqvist... doesn't mean he'll be a better player
This guys has bailed the team out more times then I can count. A lot of these games would be laughers or too out of reach if it wasn’t for him in 1st periods. He keeps it close when the team continuously comes out flat of forgets the start time is 730 not 8. Were very fortunate to have him. He’s like Gibson in Anaheim. Your never out of it while he’s between the pipes

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
This guys has bailed the team out more times then I can count. A lot of these games would be laughers or too out of reach if it wasn’t for him in 1st periods. He keeps it close when the team continuously comes out flat of forgets the start time is 730 not 8. Were very fortunate to have him. He’s like Gibson in Anaheim. Your never out of it while he’s between the pipes

Sure, but I wonder if he will be like Raanta. Fantastic when healthy, but can he stay healthy for long?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I know I complain about him giving up tough goals but outside of that and him not getting a shutout (until tonight!) is really the only thing to complain about him. He's been remarkably consistent. Other than one really bad game his rookie year coming back right after a car accident where he gave up 5 goals in 39 minutes he's never given up more than 4 in the other 33 games and has only given 4 5 times in 34 games.

I compared it to Hank's first 34 games and Hank's were actually better, not accounting for minutes played they were better by 0.23 (2.38 vs. 2.15) BUT the save percentage is 0.927 for both. Granted most of that is from Igor's first season.

Here's the breakdown by goal:

Goals againstIgorHank
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->