Igor Ozhiganov

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Question about this guy...

I heard that this kid didn’t play over Marchenko in the lineup in Russia but is quite a bit better looking over here? Can someone confirm if this was true and why?

Nobody complains about Oz here which says a lot since a third pairing D in Toronto gets criticized more than a top pairing D on most other teams.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Question about this guy...

I heard that this kid didn’t play over Marchenko in the lineup in Russia but is quite a bit better looking over here? Can someone confirm if this was true and why?

Nobody complains about Oz here which says a lot since a third pairing D in Toronto gets criticized more than a top pairing D on most other teams.
I personally think his ice time in Russia was a result of he rumours that he would be joining the leafs this season. Why play a guy who is leaving?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
AHL or NHL, by the expansion draft he would qualify as a pro anyways.
If he stays with the Marlies another year his ELC slides again. If he plays with the Leafs his clock starts on his ELC. We'd basically be protecting him without using a slot by keeping him with the Marlies another year.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Another thing to add to my previous point, he only has 8 PIMS. It's nice that he defends pretty well without taking penalties.

I don't really envision him moving up the lineup, but I am comfortable with him as a #6 guy moving forward. I think he should be able to put around 15-20 points when he gets more comfortable as well.

If he can become a reliable PK guy, and soon, that would be great. We could explore moving Zaitsev and acquire a good puck mover.

My outlook on next year:

Rielly - cheap complimetary guy
Dermott - trade acquisition
Rosen - Ozhiganov
Ex. 2 of Borgman/Marincin/Holl

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Could Stralman be cheap enough to pair with Rielly?

He's a solid defensive RHD who has played big minutes against top competition alongside another #1 in Hedman.

Not saying to break the bank but think he could maybe be affordable? Say 3 years around $4.5-5M? Similar to what Jake is making now but more balanced for us (I.e. RHD) and cheaper than what Jake likely comes in at this summer.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I personally think his ice time in Russia was a result of he rumours that he would be joining the leafs this season. Why play a guy who is leaving?
I would think you would want to ice the best team possible and play your best players so choose the guy who is clearly better regardless of their situation, no?

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I would think you would want to ice the best team possible and play your best players so choose the guy who is clearly better regardless of their situation, no?
Yes. But the team he played for was going to be the best regardless. They are owned by a huge oil company and have 2/3 full rosters. On any given day, a star KHL player is watching from the stands

RLF

May 5, 2014
If he stays with the Marlies another year his ELC slides again. If he plays with the Leafs his clock starts on his ELC. We'd basically be protecting him without using a slot by keeping him with the Marlies another year.

That's what I thought as well. It would be smart to keep in mind when to move guys up in regards to expansion.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
All I know is that this guy is a keeper. He's got great hockey sense and IMO has top 4 potential if he improves his mobility a bit.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
All I know is that this guy is a keeper. He's got great hockey sense and IMO has top 4 potential if he improves his mobility a bit.
ya he's really started to look good in the last couple of weeks to me, his brain works fast enough and he handles the puck well enough to not have to force it to his first option like Zaitsev does. If Dermott is as good as we think he is, Ozhiganov is probably fine to round out a second pairing even if he was less than a #4 in a vacuum. I also think we'd get him at a 3rd pair price which would help to offset Zaitsev's contract, if you have a #4 & #5 at $6M total AAV, that's not terrible

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
This guys a decent bottom pairing guy. Would rather someone a bit more mobile and better at zone exits (Like Holl, i don't understand why babs doesnt play him)

Reactions: mulefarm

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Liljergren should make a push for his job after the TDL.

Highly doubt it. If he plays 10+ games he then falls under draft protection if I recall correctly. Liljergren is in his second year pro now (all first and second year pros are exempt from lottery), but playing the 10+ games burns a year.

This guys a decent bottom pairing guy. Would rather someone a bit more mobile and better at zone exits (Like Holl, i don't understand why babs doesnt play him)

Holl constantly turns the puck over in his own zone with weak plays along the boards when pressured. Very much like Zaitsev does. I'd like to see Holl get more of a chance, but I doubt it happens unless and injury occurs.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why is Ozhiganov given so much loyalty from Babcock? Ozhiganov is dragging Dermott down.

Ozhiganov, Zaitsev, Hainsey is arguably the WORST right side of any D core in the NHL. All of them are 6-7 guys.

Holl deserved a look in October, how is Holl in the same condition as the other guys after sitting all year? Ozhiganov is a downgrade from Roman Polak.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Meh, guys like OZ are just place holders for players like Lily and Sandman.

However, I do like Oz, and he could grow a lot more.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Dermott and Hainsey both are getting .32 points per game. One is a +23 the other is a -4. Yes Hainsey gets more ice-time but it's while penalty-killing. Fan evaluation of players is quite interesting and usually is 80% based on the ability to create offense. But if we're looking at the right now, there's a difference separating the men from the boys. Dermott is a fine kid, who's is going to make mistakes. You might always have that element as player's careers begin and end. When fans wonder why this prospect or that prospect isn't being used now with Dermott also on the roster , it's mainly because it won't allow a coach to hide that player's mistakes with more then one wet behind the ears kid. With this possibly being Hainsey's last season, the biggest need on the blueline will be for someone who can kill penalties. If OZ can do that over any Marlie, his job is secure. Lily and Sandman better hope Gartiner isn't resigned.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He certainly has been better as of late but he is a third pairing RHD which is fine because we need one.

Here are his stats:
Igor Ozhiganov Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

If we can extend him for 1-1.5 for the next couple and add a true top 4 to play with Reilly our D will be fine. Liljegren is another year in the AHL away IMO.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Oz is starting to come around and moves the puck fairly well. I don’t ever see him as a top 4 guy but as a number 6 can’t ask for much more

Reactions: smitty10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad