Igor Ozhiganov

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well hes a RD, and hes fine at his current AAV. Dont have much RD so I'd probably sign him for another year at like 1M.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better RD for the 3rd pair. The question is whether he is willing to be paid like a 3rd line defenseman. If he wants much more than 1,000,000 he may just end up back in Russia.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I dont mind a 1-2 year deal to assess it more but ya im fine with him on the team np just don't see any top 4 upside IMO.
I'd be tempted at a little longer if he improves a bit as he adjusts, at the same money hoping that he turns out a little better than we hoped. I could see a #4 out of him, not what we'd typically call "top 4", but maybe someone who doesn't get steamrolled in that usage playing with a partner that carries him a bit

I don't have any doubt he'll get another contract from us based on what he's been so far though

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better RD for the 3rd pair. The question is whether he is willing to be paid like a 3rd line defenseman. If he wants much more than 1,000,000 he may just end up back in Russia.
Average 3rd pair money right now is closer to $1.5m, but he wouldn't make anywhere close to that in Russia. It's hard to find KHL salary numbers but $1M is around the cut off for top 30 paid players in the league and Oz wasn't an impact player there. We should be holding all the cards for renegotiation

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Average 3rd pair money right now is closer to $1.5m, but he wouldn't make anywhere close to that in Russia. It's hard to find KHL salary numbers but $1M is around the cut off for top 30 paid players in the league and Oz wasn't an impact player there. We should be holding all the cards for renegotiation

We held all the cards on Nylander too...

If players want to push for more money, they'll do it.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Ozhiganov is another free wallet signing by the Leafs (Zaitsev, Rosen, Borgman). Not sure why Zaitsev got his long contract, but he did. I don’t think, based on Rosen’s extension, that Leafs will give another Zaitsev deal out to OZ. I think OZ is doing very well all-around and deserves a contract. Babcock likes him. He is showing some confidence and it is showing in his game.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
happy with the guy. just wish he could get a few seconds on the tail end of powerplay he has weber like one timer. he just is never on his off side to unleash it.

i wouldnt mind seeing him in gards place jf the pp struggles time to time

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I like Oz, looks like he's improving in time too. I think he's growing in confidence.

Let's also remember the guy is learning English on the job. Communication is key, particularly in a fast paced game where movement occurs in all areas.

I think we'll see him continue to grow.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Oz looks fine in his current role to me.

I could see Dermott playing the RHD in the top four and bringing Rosen or another LHD in for the third pair.

I don't like the idea of losing Gardiner, but money talks.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
We held all the cards on Nylander too...

If players want to push for more money, they'll do it.
Nylander had the leverage of being a core player in the NHL from a wealthy family with no dependents.

I don't see that happening with Ozhiganov who was blackballed in the KHL, as of right now is slightly above a replacement level NHLer and has a young family that he uprooted to come here

The Nylander situation is very much the exception rather than the rule

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is very true. Feel losing Gardiner would be bad timing. Hoping Liljegren can fill his potential but he’s not near contributing at gardeners level for at least a few seasons. Gardiner and Reilly are very important for our offensive attack. Dermott is getting better every game. Reilly, Gardiner, Dermott on the left side is actually pretty strong. Just don’t have as much on the right side. OZ I feel is great for the 6th dman role. Zaitsev is adequate as a 4. Need a solid D guy for Reilly though.
We have the oddest defense in the league. We have arguably the strongest left side, and the weakest right side.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Nylander had the leverage of being a core player in the NHL from a wealthy family with no dependents.

I don't see that happening with Ozhiganov who was blackballed in the KHL, as of right now is slightly above a replacement level NHLer and has a young family that he uprooted to come here

The Nylander situation is very much the exception rather than the rule

Nylander had way more to lose than Ozhiganov.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nylander had way more to lose than Ozhiganov.
Everything's relative I guess, Ozhiganov could literally have to go home and get a real job if he doesn't get a contract here where Nylander was going to be one of the highest paid players in another league and could live well for the rest of his life off of family money. Is there any precedent for this level of player holding out? Every one I can remember is the Nylander-ilk of young star, there's no leverage if the team can just replace the player and move on while holding that player's NHL rights until he hits UFA which completely messes up his career

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Everything's relative I guess, Ozhiganov could literally have to go home and get a real job if he doesn't get a contract here where Nylander was going to be one of the highest paid players in another league and could live well for the rest of his life off of family money. Is there any precedent for this level of player holding out? Every one I can remember is the Nylander-ilk of young star, there's no leverage if the team can just replace the player and move on while holding that player's NHL rights until he hits UFA which completely messes up his career

Ozhiganov would go play in the KHL, right?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Oz looks fine in his current role to me.

I could see Dermott playing the RHD in the top four and bringing Rosen or another LHD in for the third pair.

I don't like the idea of losing Gardiner, but money talks.

Funny how many say the Leafs Dmen are so bad. Here are the Leafs a top five team with Dermot with just 12 months of NHL experience and Ozzie with 2 months. Two "new" players in the NHL this season.

Reactions: Mork

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ozhiganov would go play in the KHL, right?
he sorta got blackballed there because he came was coming to the NHL and was basically sat the whole year last season, not sure if he'd be signed if he went back. And he'd be making little money there if he did, the 30th highest paid guy in that league is around the $1M mark and safe to say that he wouldn't be that high

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
When Igor Ozhiganov arrived in Canada last summer to start his NHL career, the defenceman barely spoke English.
His language skills are said to have come a long way in the months since, and haven't been a barrier to Ozhiganov learning what it takes to succeed at hockey’s highest level.
“Ozi has unbelievable skill, size, stick, brain, good defensively,” said Babcock. “He’s got to get quicker. Knows that, has worked at it and we’re hoping that with more time in the league he’ll end up being what we think he can be. Ozi is way down in weight and way up in muscle in a short period of time and it takes time [to adjust].”
After playing seven seasons in the KHL, Ozhiganov didn’t step into an NHL spot next to a seasoned veteran, either. He’s played primarily on the Leafs’ third pairing with 21-year-old Travis Dermott, presenting a learning opportunity for both.
“They have to be better defensively,” Babcock said. “Dermy has the quick-twitch fiber and he can move the puck and do all those things, but you have to be good defensively. You can’t make mistakes at key times in games.”
Once Ozhiganov has a better handle on the defensive complexities of the game, the Leafs want to see his special-teams role increase in a big way.
“We think he can be an elite penalty killer, we really do,” said Babcock. “We haven’t even penalty killed him yet. So that’s our plan moving ahead.”

https://www.tsn.ca/slow-offensive-start-is-trying-nylander-s-patience-1.1228986

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Oz has been steady, and he keeps improving. He also has some great skills with the puck in close quarters.

He looks like a real solid pick up that didn't cost us any assets.

Reactions: FishManSam

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
looking better each game! Babs thinks he has to do things just a bit quicker but likes his all-around game, should be fixed with TOI

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Pretty good third pairing guy so far. Plays in soft competition with an outstanding partner, but he makes decent breakout passes and makes solid defensive plays. I'm hoping they get some tougher minutes because I want to see what they both have. Oz is a great pickup so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad