Igor Ozhiganov

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by ViD, Oct 1, 2018.

1. ViD

ViD #CBJNeedHugs

I must admit I didn't see Maple Leafs pre season games, although I noticed they were pretty good for the most part.

How did Ozhiganov look in these games? Is he making the team?

2. Melo Meds

Melo Meds Registered User

I think he makes the team. For someone still adjusting to NA ice I was impressed. Oz skates well, can be physical, has a good shot, and he fills a position of need (RHD). He's outplayed Carrick without a doubt for a spot in the third pairing. Seems like Babcock likes him as well. Will need to see more of a sample size of just a few preseason games but so far so good.

3. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

yes he's making the team. I think he's been pretty solid considering he's adjusting to so much. he's got some work to do but so far I like him

4. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Registered User

Had a good start to his NA career. He has size which we lack on the blue line and he noticeably outplayed everyone else in contention for a roster spot. He makes good decisions with the puck and will be fairly sheltered on the 3rd pairing next to Dermott to ease his transition.

Babcock seems to like him so that should help. Based on his quotes early in training camp, he seems to think that the language barrier was an impediment. So as Oz improves his English, there is hope that he can continue to progress.

So far there is a lot to be optimistic about and it looks like we have found an answer to our 3rd pairing RHD woes.

What is your opinion as far as his playing time last year? He seems too good to have played so little. I know that citing politics annoys many KHL fans but through this small sample size Oz has impressed which only gives more credence to that argument.

5. cannucky

cannucky Registered User

he's this years Borgy if he stays solid he'll get 45 games or so then he'll get sent down whole he's still waiver exempt .

6. Spirit of 67

Spirit of 67 Registered User

I thought he was hit and miss.

Did some nice things. Struggled with others.

7. Buds17

Buds17 Registered User

Assuming he has, and it seems likely, he's done well to make the team. He's not that young, but considering he hasn't played any NHL games yet and is waiver exempt where some others aren't, I'd say it's impressive that he'd be getting the opportunity from the get go.

8. IceColdBear

IceColdBear Registered User

He has good tools: can skate, has size & is somewhat willing to use it, and seems to have decent puck skills.

He has struggled, however, with the smaller ice & making the quick decisions & passes under pressure that are more common over here.

I think he will be able to adjust over time, and become an above average bottom pairing defender who can move in to the top 4 if injuries make it necessary.

9. SteadyFreddie

SteadyFreddie Registered User

I really liked what I saw from him, I would much rather have him on the team than Carrick. Considering this pre-season was the first competitive hockey he's played on NA ice, he didn't look that out of place to me.

He'll continue to grow and develop, but I believe he's locked down his roster spot as the leafs 6th D-man this year.

10. Tak7

Tak7 Registered User

This is what I'm expecting too.

I think Borgman makes the team before playoff time - they want to give him some grooming time down in the AHL to work on specifics of the game. Penalty killing?

11. Monsieur Gustave H

Monsieur Gustave H Coming Home

His ice time was cut due to Russia stacking two teams (CSKA and SKA) with all the best talent in preparation for the Olympics. I believe 20 or 21 Olympians were from those two teams.

Pyromaniac likes this.
  12. OVO16

OVO16 #WeTheNorth

He looked solid...but he played a little too "Safe" in my opinion.

I understand playing it safe is better more often times than not...but one of his main attributes was Physicality and toughness along the boards.

He seems too soft in that regard and to passive. Like he was scared to make a hit or he might take a penalty. Again, he looked like he was playing it "safe"

13. Phion Keneuf

Phion Keneuf Bang Bang

Much better than Carrick.

14. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

Hopefully it's a matter of testing what refs will let him get away with and keep inching up the intensity game by game until he finds where the penalties start getting called.

15. Saint Blue

Saint Blue Registered User

Surprised how mobile and quick is decision making is. Real heads up player, which is what I think separated him from Borgman this camp, who couldn't seem to make plays fast enough under pressure.

Haven't seen as much physical prowess as anticipated though. Still a welcomed addition to the top 6, he's definitely an NHL player, just needs to get used to the pace.

16. slozo

slozo Registered User

He looked quite ok in the one preseason game I saw.

I like the comment, "he played too safe" . . . ha ha, sorry to laugh, but I don't mind a Leafs d-man playing "too safe" for once in this long-suffering franchise. At any rate, he looked to me (on that day, as much as I noticed him) that he had good poise, made solid decisions, and I think he made some good outlet passes if I remember correctly.

Could easily be a solid #4 d-man at first blush. Exactly what this team needs IMHO . . . a solid mid-range defensive defenceman.

Great pickup, and looking forward to what he might become.

ktownhockey likes this.
  17. HavocWreaker

HavocWreaker Registered User

Mostly good. He has nerves doesn't speak the language and new ice to adjust to. He has a lot going against him and for the most part has prevailed so kudos to him. He will get a bit better then what we have seem. I'm I'm happy with what he's been able to to and will do.

18. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    I believe Ozzy skating will be an issue when facing faster players.

His mobility and foot speed will be tested at the NHL level.

19. Burnie97

Burnie97 Registered User

I noticed in pre season a few times he got turned around and was chasing down the forward. So I'd have to agree.

In saying that it won't be worse then Polak... and he hasn't iced it 500 times already either... and he still looks like he brings an edge... so even a slight upgrade would be great . . and he's younger and new to the NHL.. so a lot of room to grow.

20. SprDaVE

SprDaVE Registered User

He's meh all around so far.

21. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    That is what I saw as well that he was forced to turn and chase as opposed to having the foot speed to handle the on coming rush, and that was in the preseason against lower level talent.

He is also use to big ice in Europe so you play differently, and there will be an adjustment period for sure, with angles and coverage and time and space. Perhaps he was playing safe in the preseason and unsure and that is what made is defensive zone play tentative.

Size, strength and physicality might be advantages but it appears skating is going to be his issue.

22. nuck

nuck Well I did ask for it:(

He is coming from a slower league so he may just need some time to accustom himself to what works and what doesn't. If he can simply learn and adapt then we could see that by game 20 or 30. If he is simply a half a step slow or doesn't think fast enough then he would have to improve just to hold the #6 job. A better physical package than Carrick so I do think he could move the needle a wee bit, but I am really hoping he shows enough growth that we can talk about him as a potential top 4 guy later this year.

23. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    Zaitsev looks like a significantly better former KHL player than Ozzy from early viewings and comparisons.

24. Havoc

Havoc Registered User

Only thing I liked was that he has a nice clear. Puck sailed out the zone guaranteed. Valuable to have on the PK.

Didn't like anything else. Not sure how people are coming to these conclusions. Decision making? Transition game is weak from the D zone. Plays were dying on his stick in the O-zone.

Relies on clearing it most of the time. Even if it's to no one in particular.

Good poise and skating? Players were easily zooming around him at times.

Good outlet passes? Not really. I remember a shift Hyman was wide open and Ozi iced it instead.

Still confused why they chose to get rid of Carrick if it's based on Ozi winning 6th spot.

25. my name is Bob

my name is Bob Registered User

I like him a lot tbh. Good awareness and simple playing.
    As he gets more comfortable, expect to see more of a skillset