Igor Knyazev?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
What ever happened to this guy? I stumbled across his name today while browsing through some stats and such, and totally forgot about him. Heck, I didn't even remember that Carolina traded him to Phoenix in the Danny Markov trade. I see he has played the last few years in Russia after two years in the AHL. Is it safe to say he's a bust? Do the coyotes still own his rights?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Yes and yes. Coyotes wanted him to start in the AHL but he refused and went to Russia.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
He was slated as the next Danny Markov, but never developed. In fact, Carolina traded him as well as David Tanabe to Phoenix for Markov. Markov was then traded for Justin Williams. That is the only remaining justice for those two busts.

Knyazev never got comfortable in North America. His offensive game never took off and his defensive game regressed. He is more comfortable in Russia and will likely stay there for the remainder of his career.

DeputyDan

Jun 25, 2006
He was also much slower on the ice than expected.

I think that his size had something to do with this, but he never caught on to the NHL scheme.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I think he was named Best Defensemen at the U20's one year or was it the U18's ?

Just an example of someone who completely stopped developing at 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->