Igor Grigorenko

member 30781

I guess hes not much of a prospect anymore?

But with that being said hes having quite the season in the KHL.. any chance he ever crosses the pond? Is he still property of Detroit?

I HIGHLY doubt he is still Detroit's property, but there is always a chance he comes over.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I guess most people don't realize that he DID come across the pond. He showed up to Detroit overweight and out of shape. He was sent to Grand Rapids and did absolutely nothing (i think he played 10 games and had 0 points in the AHL?), and he bolted back to Russia. He is still Detroit property but I assume they have given up on him.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I guess most people don't realize that he DID come across the pond. He showed up to Detroit overweight and out of shape. He was sent to Grand Rapids and did absolutely nothing (i think he played 10 games and had 0 points in the AHL?), and he bolted back to Russia. He is still Detroit property but I assume they have given up on him.

I know that, he showed up post-injury, it's been what 4 years after the injury and he's still not at the level he used to be, probably never will be again.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Not making excuses but in Russia it's not unusual for players to show up to camp (which starts much earlier, mind you) out of shape and then get back into game shape together with the rest of the team.

At this point I would assume neither Detroit nor Grigorenko are interested in giving eachother another shot...

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Not making excuses but in Russia it's not unusual for players to show up to camp (which starts much earlier, mind you) out of shape and then get back into game shape together with the rest of the team.

At this point I would assume neither Detroit nor Grigorenko are interested in giving eachother another shot...

actually they are trying to get away from that and tell players to come to TC in camp now-days

irishtemper

Jun 9, 2008
well Detroit doesn't have his right still, but I'd love it for him to come over and try and play with Datsyuk again...either that or go to NJ with Kovalchuk

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I'm sure he was well aware that he needed to show up to North America in shape.

The Wings drafted him before the new CBA, so they should have his rights indefinitely.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Well that's a name from the past. Watching the WJC and following his progress I really thought he'd be a star. Such a shame that he got into that serious car accident.

Grigorenko, Svitov, Chistov, Polushin, Perezhogin, Taratukhin, Glazachev, etc..

I thought they'd all be a part of a new Russian wave.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Well that's a name from the past. Watching the WJC and following his progress I really thought he'd be a star. Such a shame that he got into that serious car accident.

Grigorenko, Svitov, Chistov, Polushin, Perezhogin, Taratukhin, Glazachev, etc..

I thought they'd all be a part of a new Russian wave.

They all are pretty good KHL players...Taratukhin is struggling a bit..

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Dude would have been a stud with the Wings had it not been for that car accident. :shakehead

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
They all are pretty good KHL players...Taratukhin is struggling a bit..

Going back a bit (2000 draft) but Alexeev, Vorbiev, Yakubov, Smirnov, Mikhnov were disappointing to say the least...drafted ironicaly in the Top 19 that year, before Frolov & Volchenkov went late in the 1st rnd. The Russian Factor strikes again.

--
Christopher (Chris) Ralph

*Prospects and draft analyst at The Hockey Writers (THW). My archives at THW: http://thehockeywriters.com/author/cralph/

*The Future Of Puck (from the files of The Hockey Spy) - focusing on the future of hockey - the prospects and the entry draft.
http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com
"The future of hockey revealed...right here, right now."

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm sure he was well aware that he needed to show up to North America in shape.

The Wings drafted him before the new CBA, so they should have his rights indefinitely.

The Wings signed him to a one-year deal for 2007-2008 that included an escape clause allowing him to return to Russia. To retain his rights the Wings would have had to make him a minimum qualifying offer after the season, which they declined to do.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Going back a bit (2000 draft) but Alexeev, Vorbiev, Yakubov, Smirnov, Mikhnov were disappointing to say the least...drafted ironicaly in the Top 19 that year, before Frolov & Volchenkov went late in the 1st rnd. The Russian Factor strikes again.

--
Christopher (Chris) Ralph

*Prospects and draft analyst at The Hockey Writers (THW). My archives at THW: http://thehockeywriters.com/author/cralph/

*The Future Of Puck (from the files of The Hockey Spy) - focusing on the future of hockey - the prospects and the entry draft.
http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com
"The future of hockey revealed...right here, right now."

not sure what you mean by Russian Factor - usually it means players not coming over. Mihnov - disappointment? really? always NT player with great hands. may be lacking speed a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad