Ignorant Ekblad question

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
oh hes finished alright. the concussions stalled whatever it was that he was turning into in his first 2 years (which was not a great dman anyway) and now hes just flat out ugly to watch. hes not going to turn into a true top pairing D the way those guys did. u saw flashes of elite level skill from them in their early years that u never see from ekblad. oh and also they could skate which i hear is important in hockey. ekblad should be traded if at all possible in a creative package for a real dman. he had a deceptively good season last year which makes him almost sort of tradable. we wont get that chance again.

Respectfully disagree. Ekblads concussions are a red flag for shortening his career down the road, but theyre not the type of injury that hampers your play once you recover. It’s not a torn acl or lingering soft tissue injury that will nag him the rest of his career or make him a worse player. Psychologically it’s a much different story, but he’s proven that he’s past that. Played with confidence again last year.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Respectfully disagree. Ekblads concussions are a red flag for shortening his career down the road, but theyre not the type of injury that hampers your play once you recover. It’s not a torn acl or lingering soft tissue injury that will nag him the rest of his career or make him a worse player. Psychologically it’s a much different story, but he’s proven that he’s past that. Played with confidence again last year.
tell that to pens fans. crosby was dominant, but never the same. we actually never got to see a prime crosby. and i dont think ekblads got it completely out of his mind. theres a little part of him that plays scared.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
tell that to pens fans. crosby was dominant, but never the same. we actually never got to see a prime crosby. and i dont think ekblads got it completely out of his mind. theres a little part of him that plays scared.
Probably. There’s a part of Barkov that wants to avoid being hit like that, so he doesn’t hit much, maybe thinking the golden rule applies on ice or something.

On the other hand, name the skilled players who don’t play somewhat scared or cautious? Nobody’s going out there LOOKING to maybe get hit to the point of concussion. And if you do hit a lot and expect to be hit a lot, then your other game suffers.

Ek’s mistake, and the mistake of many players who’ve been concussed, maybe was that they were too sure of not getting hit in the head. They need to be aware at all times.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Probably. There’s a part of Barkov that wants to avoid being hit like that, so he doesn’t hit much, maybe thinking the golden rule applies on ice or something.

On the other hand, name the skilled players who don’t play somewhat scared or cautious? Nobody’s going out there LOOKING to maybe get hit to the point of concussion. And if you do hit a lot and expect to be hit a lot, then your other game suffers.

Ek’s mistake, and the mistake of many players who’ve been concussed, maybe was that they were too sure of not getting hit in the head. They need to be aware at all times.
ive always wondered what barkovs hits would be like if he really threw that body around. he could probably crush people. i dont think his kindness is returned by most players. he gets hit a lot. i remember wanting to kill abdul-qadir after that high hit that concussed bark. whata pointless play.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Ekblad is 23. He’s just now entering his prime. Look at the Doughtys, Webers, Hedmans, Letangs, Suters, Burns, Josis,, Keiths, Subbans, etc etc of the world. Age 23+ season is when they become that stud #1 we know them as. Not saying Ekblad is as good as those guys, but scoring an average of 10-15 goals, 35+ points, and usually being a + player as an 18-23 year old dman is nothing to sneeze at. Ekblad is so good for his age and is in no way a finished product. Watch

D-men take longer than 23 years to reach their prime. A lot of elite D-men have their best years after turning 30.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Bump, fellow Ekblad watchers. Haven't been able to catch him yet.

How's his skating looking so far? Does it look like he's put in work this summer?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
i know the numbers would overwhelmingly suggest that, but when i see the way they shoot it really looks like jones is even better at that. i think what it is, is that ekblad is better at getting in position to get a shot through and lucky **** happens when you do that. he has tons of ugly goals whereas jones' goals look a lot prettier. that would still make ekblad the better goal scorer cause who cares how they go in, but i believe jones will get better at that whereas ekblad cannot replicate jones' skating, stickhandling, and shot. jones will end his career with more goals imo. there wont be a thing ekblads better at by the end if their careers. this is the thing i most hope im wrong about as the panthers will live and die with how good or bad ekblad becomes.
This whining is pathetic. People already agree that Jones is overall the better player, now you’re ridiculously implying that the one thing Ekblad is better at is based on luck. Well guess what dude - you’re wrong!

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
This whining is pathetic. People already agree that Jones is overall the better player, now you’re ridiculously implying that the one thing Ekblad is better at is based on luck. Well guess what dude - you’re wrong!
not sure if jakey comes around any longer, wait for the season to start and he will crawl out from the sticks, eventually.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
not sure if jakey comes around any longer, wait for the season to start and he will crawl out from the sticks, eventually.
I didn’t realize it was an old post from him.... I thought he was back so I wanted to give him a special welcome.... my bad....

Reactions: drktmplr12

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
In all honesty though, think Ekblad has maxed his "skating" potential... unlike Barkov, he is unable to get to that next skating level for whatever reason. Here is hoping he understands this weakness in his game and adjusts accordingly. As far as points, I could care less how many he gets as long as he is solid/great defensively and can make good exit passes.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
In all honesty though, think Ekblad has maxed his "skating" potential... unlike Barkov, he is unable to get to that next skating level for whatever reason. Here is hoping he understands this weakness in his game and adjusts accordingly. As far as points, I could care less how many he gets as long as he is solid/great defensively and can make good exit passes.

if he has, it's because of a lack of drive or lack of guidance.

there's so much that can be done to improve foot speed and mechanics, both on and off the ice.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have a question that I hope posters don't think is ignorant (or trolling) but, as a Leaf fan, I don't see or hear about Florida so...

How is Aaron Ekblad doing as a player?

Has he been everything you hoped?

Do you think he would have any chance of making Team Canada (Olympics or World Cup)?

If these questions offend anyone, I apologize and feel free to delete this post, but I was just wondering because I was a fan when he was young and I hoped he'd be GREAT!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I have a question that I hope posters don't think is ignorant (or trolling) but, as a Leaf fan, I don't see or hear about Florida so...

How is Aaron Ekblad doing as a player?

Has he been everything you hoped?

Do you think he would have any chance of making Team Canada (Olympics or World Cup)?

If these questions offend anyone, I apologize and feel free to delete this post, but I was just wondering because I was a fan when he was young and I hoped he'd be GREAT!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Ekblad is a good, top pairing Dman. When paired with Weegar he's looked like a legit #1D with Weegar helping his game a ton. Q, like Bob, Rowe and GG think Yandle-Ekblad is the top pair we need. It is absolutely holding Ekblad back. This is coming from a fan of Yandle.

Pairs should be Weegar/Ekblad. Matehson/Strals. Yandle/Warm body not named Pysyk.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Ekblad is a good, top pairing Dman. When paired with Weegar he's looked like a legit #1D with Weegar helping his game a ton. Q, like Bob, Rowe and GG think Yandle-Ekblad is the top pair we need. It is absolutely holding Ekblad back. This is coming from a fan of Yandle.

Pairs should be Weegar/Ekblad. Matehson/Strals. Yandle/Warm body not named Pysyk.
Thanks!

How are his concussion issues?

He is only 23. Do you think he has enough upside to be considered a Top NHL D Man in the future?

Team Canada perhaps?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Thanks!

How are his concussion issues?

He is only 23. Do you think he has enough upside to be considered a Top NHL D Man in the future?

Team Canada perhaps?
Concussion issues are not a problem until you get another one, so he has no problem at the moment.
No. He's not flashy enough for that. At best he'll get a treatment similar to OEL imo.
Maybe. It's still a few years in the future and young guys can come up and make abig splash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad