Speculation: Iginla?

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
I don't believe Iginla announced his retirement yet, so, what do you think he does? Any teams need a player like him? Or even have the room?

Does he sign a 1 day contract to retire a flame?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That’d be great actually.
His career is wrapped up. Come home, sign your one day; retire on the team that made you, you.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Islanders are in panic mode so maybe them?

But seriously, I think he'll do the Modano one-day contract with the Flames.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
One thing that strikes me is that Iggy had hip surgery last year, so as far as I know, with him not announcing retirement, it's possible that he's been physically restored to a form greater than what he was in his last year of playing.

Aug 3, 2010
One thing that strikes me is that Iggy had hip surgery last year, so as far as I know, with him not announcing retirement, it's possible that he's been physically restored to a form greater than what he was in his last year of playing.
Basically, the Selanne-Lockout effect?

Could be.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
sign Iggy to a PTO, to try and help him find a gig this year. If he can't get one, give him the one day contract to retire a Flame. Then on Dec. 12th put his number in the rafters with Lanny and Vernon
Yup. Because at least then he could ice up for a preseason game in our sweater

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Time is up
Iggy needs to retire or find a real job

And yes, he deserves a good sendoff

Aug 3, 2010
Didn't we do the same thing with Fleury a couple years ago? I'm down.
Though I don't care for his personality, I felt he should have made the team on merit (as in he was better than some of the players Calgary started with that year, pre-Phaneuf trade.)

Regarding Iginla, it's difficult. I've said I want him to retire already, but how many people in the world honestly get to chase their dreams for a living? Most people don't, or rather have to settle/readjust their life goals. I can't fault him for trying for the Cup; I just want it to happen already or have him give up, as harsh as the reality is.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Though I don't care for his personality, I felt he should have made the team on merit (as in he was better than some of the players Calgary started with that year, pre-Phaneuf trade.)
If I recall correctly, they told him he would only be offered a contract if they saw him as a legitimate 'top-6' option.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
If I recall correctly, they told him he would only be offered a contract if they saw him as a legitimate 'top-6' option.
This is true, but they also cut him with like 3 more preseason games left. He absolutely deserved another game or two.

Aug 3, 2010
I didn't recall that, but it's a bit of a joke. He could have played a spot duty on the second line, but the truth is that it's too bad, because the bottom six sucked that year.

Jaffray, Sutter, Lundmark, Sjostrom, Prust, Boyd...

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
He did not play at all last season and is 41.. he is finished in the NHL, would like to see him retire a flame though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fleury easily should have made the team that year.

Maybe we can sign Iggy at some point this season, especially if we look like a contender.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What Fleury were you guys watching? He was decent, but he wasn't good either.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
What Fleury were you guys watching? He was decent, but he wasn't good either.

That could sum up our team that year as well. And Fleury was easily better than at least 4 of the forwards who started on the roster that year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That could sum up our team that year as well. And Fleury was easily better than at least 4 of the forwards who started on the roster that year.
All likely better suited for their roles than he would have been, all with better conditioning, likely all with better attitudes too

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I remember being at the preseason game where Fleury scored the shootout goal. That was pretty cool. I feel like a lot of his play in preseason was hype and adrenaline, I'm not really sure if that would carried through the whole season especially at his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad