Line Combos: Iggy with Krejci Loui with Bergy- Did we get it right?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The lines need at least 5 more games before Claude decides to scap the line combo's. We expect as fans instant line chemistry, but coaches know it takes sometime. To me the worse kind of coach is the reactionary type, that change things the minute they are not clicking.

Now in 5 games or so, if they are not working still, by all means Claude will change it up

I agree. I feel patient with it, because I see some really good things happening with the top unit.

Also... Soderberg is a wild card right now. He could fit anywhere from a top six role, to not being good enough to have a regular place in the lineup. We just don't know until he gets healthy and has time to gel with this club. I have a feeling we're going to see him with Bergeron on line 2.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
Lets stop trying to recreate how the 2011 team was. I like the lines as they are. Iggy is a sniper and needs to be fed one timers. I think the team has been working to get this going and its only been 5 games so give it sometime. Let the players play the system and out work the opponents.

I really like what I have seen from Rielly Smith. if anyone should move up I think its him. Seems to have that hockey sense and makes good decisions with the puck.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I agree. I feel patient with it, because I see some really good things happening with the top unit.

Also... Soderberg is a wild card right now. He could fit anywhere from a top six role, to not being good enough to have a regular place in the lineup. We just don't know until he gets healthy and has time to gel with this club. I have a feeling we're going to see him with Bergeron on line 2.
I'm excited to see what Soderberg will bring once he gels.. But I see the possibility of him moving between lines quite often this season as injuries occur just because of his greater flexibility than others...

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Kelly - Spooner - Iginla
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Sorry to post this in here but I am avoiding the GDT like the plague tonight.

This idea of setting up Iginla for a one-timer on the power play isn't working. He isn't getting clean looks.

It just isn't working.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Smith - Bergeron - Eriksson
Lucic - Krejci - Soderberg
Marchand - Kelly - Iginla
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

Iggy on the third line because he has created some chemistry with Kelly, on the PK and such, and he might be that veteran presence that can help Marchand with his slump. It might be too much to put Soderberg on the 1st/2nd line, but the way he plays along the boards could benefit that line. Just a thought.

OutspokenMinority*

Couldn't help thinking to myself last night how much I'd like to see this line

Kelly-Bergeron-Iginla.

Opens up a spot for Spooner too.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think we get too hung up on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line classifications. In our system, the lines get a pretty good balance of play. Just because someone plays on our 2nd or 3rd line doesn't mean they are a '3rd line talent' It speaks more to our depth and balance.

I think we did get it right putting Iginla with Lucic & Krejci; reminds me of the Horton line prior to concussion issues. However, I think we have Ericksson slotted in the wrong spot. I'd put him on the third line with Kelly & Soderberg; that would spread the wealth more, and he'd still get top minutes with power play and penalty kill lines.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Soderberg-Kelly-Ericksson
Paille-Campbell-Caron
Thornton

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It was in the playoffs when he played for the Pens. No too sure what people expected here. Chia sort of had to sign him after Horton left, but I think he's cooked. To me he's a great 3rd liner now.

He was far from cooked in the playoffs, up to the Bruins series where our boys held almost everyone off the score sheet, he put up solid numbers, not 100% sure but think he finished with about 12/13pts in 15 games while playing well.

Still nowhere near time to start shifting he and Loui in and out of line combos at this point IMO

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Boys played a great game last night and I'm not harping on lines but I'd just like to see a few line changes for curiosity's sake...
I think we have good pairs and need to find the right compliment as the third guy.

Obviously Krejci/Lucic, I'd like to see Eriksson or maybe even Soderberg.

I'd like to see Bergy back with Marchy (even though his play isn't super right now). Stick in Iginla on line 2.

To me Kelly is playing awesome hockey thus far (tempered expectations of course) no matter who's out there with him. Eriksson and Smith seem to have pretty good chemistry - maybe that could work.

4th line as is, with a sprinkling of Caron over Thornton every now and then.

Lucic/Krejci/Soda Pop
Marchand/Bergy/Iggy
Smith/Kelly/Eriksson
Merlot

Wouldn't mind seeing Soda flipped with Eriksson either.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bergy commented about the ever improving chemistry with Loui....he`s playing nowhere else IMO

I don`t move Iggy too, you won`t convince me a move to Bergy/Kelly`s line will have him pop one. He`s playing hard, playing well, getting his chances, it`ll come, unlike Jagr where I NEVER felt he`d score, I don`t see this with Iggy, I`ll bet once he gets that first one, he`ll exhale and all will be fine

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Bergy commented about the ever improving chemistry with Loui....he`s playing nowhere else IMO

I don`t move Iggy too, you won`t convince me a move to Bergy/Kelly`s line will have him pop one. He`s playing hard, playing well, getting his chances, it`ll come, unlike Jagr where I NEVER felt he`d score, I don`t see this with Iggy, I`ll bet once he gets that first one, he`ll exhale and all will be fine

Fair enough. I like the lines as is too. And Claude ain't switching them up on a whim that's for sure. I think most people would agree they'd at least like to see Eriksson with Krejci...curious more than anything.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fair enough. I like the lines as is too. And Claude ain't switching them up on a whim that's for sure. I think most people would agree they'd at least like to see Eriksson with Krejci...curious more than anything.

I would`t make line changes based on curiosity, There isn`t any indication of any lack of chemistry or disruption between Looch/Krejci and Iggy, there isn`t any amount of missed assignments based on being confused about where one another are or should be on the ice.

This is about Iggy just burying one, just no need to shift anyone up or down the lineup at this stage IMO.

oreillyisgod

Unregistered User
Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts
Now that we've had a chance to see Loui for a few games, wondering what others think of him. Dont claim to know anything but I am appreciating him more and more. Not sure if I can clearly put this to words, but it seems like the puck follows him. I find myself thinking "gee how did he wind up with the puck", seems like he has really good hand-eye skills.

maswe12

Feb 27, 2002
orlando, fl
I thought the lines really started to come together last night. Soderberg and Marchand on the 3rd line is intriguing. I've liked the Smith-Bergeron-Loui line which now seems like it is rounding into shape as Bergeron shakes off the rust of an injured offseason and Loui adjusts to a new team. Erickson might not be as dynamic offensively as Seguin but he plays smarter and isn't allergic to the front of the net--things which should be even more appreciated once the playoffs start.

Iginla has a big goose egg right now, but I still like the way he is playing. I think he is gripping the stick a little too tight trying to get that first goal. Lucic also looks much better than he did at the start of last year. I'm willing to give those guys more time together. It seems like everyone is off to a slow start but we are still 5-2.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Now that we've had a chance to see Loui for a few games, wondering what others think of him. Dont claim to know anything but I am appreciating him more and more. Not sure if I can clearly put this to words, but it seems like the puck follows him. I find myself thinking "gee how did he wind up with the puck", seems like he has really good hand-eye skills.

I like he and Iggy, both are looking more and more comfortable with Julien`s system and their line mates. How easily we forget just how long it took Kelly/Pevs to finally understand the intricacies of this system, the reason this team has been so successful is the unique system they use, and almost every player who is new to the Bruins has stated as much.

Puck isn`t following him, he`s just in the right place almost all the time:)

For a few shifts I focused solely on he and Bergy`s defensive approach...unbelievable how many passing lanes the two shut down

OutspokenMinority*

Repeat: switch Iggy and Eriksson. The worst thing to happen now would be for Iginla to get a goal, because that will only prolong this inevitable switch to their natural pairings, but that aside, yes, even out of curiosity's sake, they should try it. This allergic reaction to possibly trying other combinations is so annoying.

Ok, I won't keep the reason secret any more. The reason you put Iggy with Bergy and Loui with Krejci is because of their PERSONALITIES. Iggy and Bergy HATE TO TAKE EVEN A SINGLE SHIFT OFF. Playing with someone who has no problem taking several shifts off (Krejci) is ANNOYING to someone who wants to battle every single shift. Loui and Krejci (like Horton before him) have more laid back personalities that match. Iggy and Bergy are warriors who take it all very personally.

You're welcome and I'm available at exorbitant rates for additional paid consultations. No more freebies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Why are people going crazy with line combinations? If anything is going to switch, it'll be Marchand and Smith. Nothing else would be necessary at the moment.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Why are people going crazy with line combinations? If anything is going to switch, it'll be Marchand and Smith. Nothing else would be necessary at the moment.

5-2 record, should be 7-0 with Iggy/Loui and Marchand all having 14pts each:sarcasm:

Too many always panicked, rather than look at the optimistic side that WHEN Iggy and Loui/Marchand start hitting their stride, this team will be even stronger.

Some just simply stretching for crud to complain/worry about. Sox are in the WS, the B`s are playing fine, the Pats doing well, man, what a tough crowd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->