Line Combos: Iggy with Krejci Loui with Bergy- Did we get it right?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Iginla is ridiculously similar to Horton to me, so I like that line. Eriksson isn't meshing with the Bergeron line as well as I'd like, but they need more time. If anything, I'd move Smith up to the Bergeron line and Eriksson down with Kelly to give us more scoring depth.

In theory yeah, I think Iggy should be a superior version of Horton. But I think that 35(?) year old Iggy doesn't have the same physicality that 28 year old Horton/Iggy did. So far at least he doesn't seem to be great along the boards and have the same impact or oomph that Horton/Lucic combo did.

I think if you put him on the Bergy line he doesn't have to have that presence along the walls as much because Bergeron and Marchand own that space and just need someone in the circles/net front to slap home the bisquits they routinely fire through the slot.

Too early to tell but if Iggy has slowed down a bit I think the 2nd line is the spot for him.

Also, Loui looks dynamite and I think its been too long since Krejci has gotten to play with another skilled Euro.

Last edited:

Kaoz*

Seguin playing like a giant ***** and Jagr being a no show had more to do with it.

Seguin had 4 points in 6 games against Chicago which made him one of Boston's most productive forwards in the series. Hell, even Jagr put up 3 points. Boston lost because Chicago was better, plain and simple. Their offense was better, their D better, and their goalie better. No matter how slight they were better as a team.

As for Ericsson on Krejci's wing, I agree, he should be there because of his defensive acumen alone. That lines inability to keep the puck out of the net is horrendous and has been for a couple of years now. Add Ericsson, get some speed and awareness on that line. Iggy with size and a shot on the Bergeron line will add a different dynamic to it that is sorely needed, and has been lacking for years as well.

Regardless of how far we into the season and what our record to date is, there is something to be said for achieving a balance on the lines and the Krejci lines inability to be solid in their own end and the Bergeron lines lack of size and therefore inconsistent offense has haunted us and continues to do so. They have the pieces to fix it, they for some reason don't.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In theory yeah, I think Iggy should be a superior version of Horton. But I think that 35(?) year old Iggy doesn't have the same physicality that 28 year old Horton/Iggy did. So far at least he doesn't seem to be great along the boards and have the same impact or oomph that Horton/Lucic combo did.

I think if you put him on the Bergy line he doesn't have to have that presence along the walls as much because Bergeron and Marchand own that space and just need someone in the circles/net front to slap home the bisquits they routinely fire through the slot.

Too early to tell but if Iggy has slowed down a bit I think the 2nd line is the spot for him.

Also, Loui looks dynamite and I think its been too long since Krejci has gotten to play with another skilled Euro.

Horty completely abandoned the physical part of his game, Iggy initiates contact virtually every shift. It may not be a bruising check, but he`s doing all the little things right.

And speed wise?? Sorry, I miss something? Horty was far from a speed demon, putting him(Iggy) on the 2nd line with Bergy and Marchy(who will be reunited at some point) is actually a line that plays more up tempo than the first so that theory just wouldn`t cut it IMO.

He`s on the perfect line for him right now. Everyone needs to chill, it isn`t as though he`s invisible out there. Why is it that Iggy, the GM/Coach aren`t concerned about his start yet so many here are, it`s been 5 bloody games.

There`s a guy in Detroit who signed a 5.5 million dollar contract this off-season who just scored his first one last night, and having been on the Wings board alot prior to their game Monday, I`m not so sure I read one fan who was in half the panic mode some here are

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's a very real pissibility that Iginla is cooked IMO.

I don't see this at all. As another poster mentioned, Iggy is leading the team in shots and is getting his chances, they are just not going in for him right now. I have no issue with the lines as is, or swapping Loui and Iggy, they are different combos, but I think both would work. I also think you need to give it time when the two players involved are new to the B's system.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't see this at all. As another poster mentioned, Iggy is leading the team in shots and is getting his chances, they are just not going in for him right now. I have no issue with the lines as is, or swapping Loui and Iggy, they are different combos, but I think both would work. I also think you need to give it time when the two players involved are new to the B's system.

I`m never opposed to trying new things but it "appears" like Loui and Bergy in the last few games are becoming more familiar with one another and I see Iggy/Looch working that cycle game really well, I`d stand pat and let em play

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hmmm. I personally think we got it wrong.

I think Eriksson would go off playing on the wing opposite Milan Lucic and we are being silly keeping those 2 separated with Krejci a great fit to center those 2. Krejci could make a few passes Bergeron might not. Bergeron then gets Iginla who is capable of having a Recchi-like presence on the boards and in traffic.

I think Eriksson and Marchand are small. Who is supposed to be the more physical guy of the two? Brad who may be smaller than Krug? Or Loui who isn't physical?

I know that Iginla can play the Horton role and actually is an upgrade over Nate. But due to Horton's and that lines success in the playoff I have a feeling the three together is much set in stone. I don't think we'll get to see Iginla playing Recchi which stinks and Loui with Krejci and Looch sounds good to me he doesn't need to be physical on their line.

Claude is stubborn and if we keep winning which we will with Rask, 7 good D, and good 3rd and 4th line he will not make the change even if the first two lines continue to be average or good and not great. I am not really not trying to be overractive/critical/negative I think Iginla and Erikkson are awesome but are just on the wrong lines and should be swapped.

Jagr never got to play with the kid who had his posters on his wall and despite playing OK for us and working very hard we never saw a salute. Now I'm not trying to have 20/20 vision after the fact and say a productive playoff Horton should be demoted however Claude is extremely stubborn and these top 2 lines might be set in stone barring injury until 2016. We might be really screwing this up just because Iginla has a similar body to Horton.

Marchand and Bergeron excel on the boards. Iginla is a better board player than Loui. Iginla could be Recchi with speed.

You make the change and Loui gets to use his smarts and savy to pick up the most physical player in the NHL's scraps and get on the end of dishes from the more creative of our 2 great centers. I'm personally convinced we should swap them but I doubt Claude does it.:(

Eriksson is small??? Hm, 6`3 ain`t small where I come from but..

Slapshot18

Dec 20, 2010
Seguin had 4 points in 6 games against Chicago which made him one of Boston's most productive forwards in the series. Hell, even Jagr put up 3 points. Boston lost because Chicago was better, plain and simple. Their offense was better, their D better, and their goalie better. No matter how slight they were better as a team.
I agree Seguin didn't have a great playoff but I think he played very well in the finals. That pass where he set up Daugavins for a failed backdoor tap in in OT will haunt me forever.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I too have said in the past that Iginla should be on Bergeron's wing since he is a BRUIN. IMO that line could use some size. I disagree that, at this point of his career, he is better than Horton.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Horty completely abandoned the physical part of his game, Iggy initiates contact virtually every shift. It may not be a bruising check, but he`s doing all the little things right.

And speed wise?? Sorry, I miss something? Horty was far from a speed demon, putting him(Iggy) on the 2nd line with Bergy and Marchy(who will be reunited at some point) is actually a line that plays more up tempo than the first so that theory just wouldn`t cut it IMO.

He`s on the perfect line for him right now. Everyone needs to chill, it isn`t as though he`s invisible out there. Why is it that Iggy, the GM/Coach aren`t concerned about his start yet so many here are, it`s been 5 bloody games.

There`s a guy in Detroit who signed a 5.5 million dollar contract this off-season who just scored his first one last night, and having been on the Wings board alot prior to their game Monday, I`m not so sure I read one fan who was in half the panic mode some here are

Good points... Especially the speed issue. Iggy ain't slowing anything down with Krejci and Lucic, though he would be the slowest next to Bergeron and Marchand.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good points... Especially the speed issue. Iggy ain't slowing anything down with Krejci and Lucic, though he would be the slowest next to Bergeron and Marchand.

Thx, I just see the Krejci line as one where it`s more about working the boards/cycling, stop/start, a more physical approach, and when Bergy`s line has been successful in the past, it`s always been about the flow, moving the puck crisply and quickly, using Marchand`s speed and elusiveness, to put Iggy on it, IMO, would drastically change the potential for quick transitions.

Loui is perfectly fine and fits well on that line in my opinion

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Gotta wait and see for at least another week or so... I mean things haven't settled in yet, the only thing that's worried me about this team is Chara looking pretty bad and he has the worst rating on the B's right now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Gotta wait and see for at least another week or so... I mean things haven't settled in yet, the only thing that's worried me about this team is Chara looking pretty bad and he has the worst rating on the B's right now.

Not even close to something I am worried about, guy plays against every team`s best, was burned by one of the best forwards this fan has seen in decades of watching the game in Datsyuk..hardly the first who has been

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Considering Iggy is always known as a slow starter...I wouldn't put too much stock into this. He's getting his chances and the team is still getting use to each other.

Give it time....

TripleOT

Feb 27, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
Like your line combos....

Too soon to start questioning line combos. Before the season started I liked your lines also (still do). For the sole reason that Loui is a defensively sound winger, thus allowing Krejci to focus a tad bit more on his offfensive game.

I think Soderberg will eventually challenge for a top-6 spot once he gets rolling. I can see Marchand producing on the 3rd line with Kelly as his center. Marchand is just one of those guys who produces on his own & creates his own chances despite who his linemates are.

Lucic Krejci Ericksson
Soderberg Bergeron Iginla
Marchand Kelly Smith
Paille Campbell Caron

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod

Wait when did I say Horton was speedy? Recchi was never a speedster and we won a cup with him on Bergerons line. I'm not panicking I even said it's too early to tell, but there is some validity to the fact that the 2011 cup was won when the top line had 3 players in their prime and an aged Hofer on bergys wing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wait when did I say Horton was speedy? Recchi was never a speedster and we won a cup with him on Bergerons line. I'm not panicking I even said it's too early to tell, but there is some validity to the fact that the 2011 cup was won when the top line had 3 players in their prime and an aged Hofer on bergys wing.

My bad, you didn`t mention it, but truth be told, the 2nd line is the last place a player should be if they can`t skate. That lines strength is it`s fluidity, not board work/physical play. Iggy is exactly where he should be, and in spite of Recci playing on that wing, at that time, this team did not have the kind of skill and game that Loui can bring, I didn`t think Ryder (floater) was a 2nd liner, and I sure don`t think Pevs was especially with that chemistry he had with Kelly, Rex was on that line IMO as another player who could keep Marchand good and focused

OutspokenMinority*

Agreed on both counts.

I'll add that IMHO, what people mistakenly view as Claude "not seeing the obvious" is actually Claude just being patient. From day1 he's talked about the combo's the OP mentioned, but Chiarelli obviously got Iginla to be a Horton replacement so they're giving that time to bear fruit, and unlike the 63-37-21 combination, there have been some encouraging signs. Evaluating that combo is made more difficult by Iginla's typical slow starts, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. For now, I'm content to let that line ride for a few more games while we see what this team looks like with Soderberg in the mix and where he fits best.

Getting player X to be a fill-in replacement for player Y is just not how things work, imo, and I certainly hope that's not the mindset. I assume the idea is to spread out skill and grit evenly, I just don't think it was the right decision in this case. I believe the current combinations are square peg in round hole and vice versa. Iggy-Bergy and Loui-Krejci seem like the obvious pairings but these guys have earned the benefit of the doubt so fair enough. :pumpkin:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Getting player X to be a fill-in replacement for player Y is just not how things work, imo, and I certainly hope that's not the mindset. I assume the idea is to spread out skill and grit evenly, I just don't think it was the right decision in this case. I believe the current combinations are square peg in round hole and vice versa. Iggy-Bergy and Loui-Krejci seem like the obvious pairings but these guys have earned the benefit of the doubt so fair enough. :pumpkin:

can`t figure out yet why it appears "obvious" to put Iginla with Bergeron?? I`ll wager if you have 29 other coaches polled, they would all say Iggy with Looch is the best place for him to be

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
can`t figure out yet why it appears "obvious" to put Iginla with Bergeron?? I`ll wager if you have 29 other coaches polled, they would all say Iggy with Looch is the best place for him to be

I think that stance is just as silly as saying it is "obvious" to put him with Bergeron.

Intelligent people that follow this team disagree on where he best belongs. I'm sure intelligent coaches would too.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I wonder why you would feel that way?

To me, one of the weaknesses of LKH, was that it was rather slow and could be neutralized by a quick out transition. (and one of the weaknesses of the Marshand/Bergeron/Seguin line was that it had two guy who were willing physical participants, one that wasn't and was overall SMALL)

By putting Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic, you increase the skating ability and defensive awareness of that line... Quick transitions are no longer an easy out for the opposition our top unit would be less likely to get boxed in their own zone. Horton had a better shot than Eriksson, but not by much. And that's all the line really loses from Nate to Loui.

Putting Lucic with Bergy and Marchand? Gives a big body presence to that line and three guys together who all think the game at a high level.

Not sure why 29 GMs would agree that Iggy and Lucic together on one line is the obvious way to go.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
The lines need at least 5 more games before Claude decides to scap the line combo's. We expect as fans instant line chemistry, but coaches know it takes sometime. To me the worse kind of coach is the reactionary type, that change things the minute they are not clicking.

Now in 5 games or so, if they are not working still, by all means Claude will change it up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad