NHL Entry Draft If Zadina falls to the Sens should they take him?

If Zadina falls the the Sens should they take him. Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Drafting in terms of need is stupid in most cases, but Ottawa's doing ok in terms of skill on the blueline (assuming that EK stays), and there's a serious void of skilled players to fill the holes in the top 6. I'm hopeful for Brown, Batherson, Formenton, White and Chlapik, but other than Brown, I don't know if the others will become top 6 skill guys. I think Zadina will.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Drafting in terms of need is stupid in most cases, but Ottawa's doing ok in terms of skill on the blueline (assuming that EK stays), and there's a serious void of skilled players to fill the holes in the top 6. I'm hopeful for Brown, Batherson, Formenton, White and Chlapik, but other than Brown, I don't know if the others will become top 6 skill guys. I think Zadina will.

BPA is the way to go if there is a clear separation in the ranking. If you have a glaring need .. and that coincides very closely with how they are ranked... IMO its worth considering. If Svechnikov was available I think there there would be a clear separation in the rankings after that it gets muddier.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1) you seem to be approaching this argument under the assumption that I am of the belief that "acquiring the best players we can who are usually only available at the top end of the draft" is a thing I'm known for saying... I can assure you, we have never had this debate before, and I'm not sure why you are directing this line of thought at me. That said...
2) every draft is different.
3) There's a lot of debate on the difference in impact guys in the 3-8 pick range will have in this draft. A lot of people's 3-8 picks are all over the place. It's hard to say exactly what this org, or any scout, believes.
4) clearly, I was not advocating downgrading from 4th overall to 6th overall without getting anything in return - the price someone is willing to pay to move up 2ish spots would have to be worth it for us, and therefore have significant value
I should have made my point clearer, sorry. That is not what I meant regarding you, but in general & was looking for an opinion on that front which you have provided. My guess is similar that if the player they want & regard highly or higher than the others on the board & there is an opportunity to acquire an extra asset than it's understandable to move down from a team's perspective who has done their due delengency.

However, from a fans perspective & this is the case every draft becomes who they by-pass, if that player becomes the better player & was ranked higher yet this scouting staff decided on the wrong player. Typically, one would think that the better players are ranked higher, but yr after yr we see players drafted later being so much better than some players drafted before them & conclude it's a crap shoot.

We also see some players highly ranked reach their potential & conclude almost every opinion has the potential to be right until it's not. It's just I hear it so often on this board that this team needs more skill & typically those players are at the top & now we are reading how many want to move down the order, it seems odd. It's exactly the reason most teams pick the BPA & deal with their "needs" at a later date.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hoff-duchene-tkachuk (Ryan)
Or
Zadina (dzingel/Ryan/Batherson/formenton)-Brown-stone

I hope zadina is picked so we can just take tkachuk.

Zadina type player is less rare and easier to find somewhere else.
We have guys like Batherson, chlapik, Formenton who can play that role. (Not saying they are as good)

Having said that, either will be good. Or a couple of the d choices. Can’t see them screwing it up. But wouldn’t be surprised if they pass on tkachuk(I will be disappointed)

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Perfectly valid.

I don't solely like 'one dimensional soft perimeter players'. I think I'm pretty fair when it comes to criticizing players regardless of the type of game they play.
"Fair" is in the mind of the individual making the point from their perspective & IMO from the kind of player they prefer. Everyone prefers different players for different reasons & IMO no one is wrong or right for preferring who they like.

Demeaning someone for their preference is where the line should be drawn because someone else doesn't like that player & tries to demean the person that does. However, formulating an argument towards an individual player whether pro or con is valid without trying to demean anyone for their preference is & always has been my point.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
A line of Tkachuk/Brown/Stone would be so counter-intuitive based on the way the NHL is going right now (in terms of it being a speed game) but I honestly think they could feast on teams and could be one of the more dangerous lines in the league if Brown/Tkachuk pan out.

mix it up

Hoffman-Duchene-Tkachuk
Batherson-Brown-Stone

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I dreamt the draft was on during the finals and I didn’t even know it was on. I turned to the channel showing the draft and we had already picked. The good news is that we picked Zadina.

Reactions: InDucheWeTrust

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Nice compilation of Tkachuk's four most-relied on types of passes (as per Mitch Brown):

1. Saucer
2. Forehand through traffic
3. Adjusting reach to slip passes through defenders
4. Clever passes from scoring locations.

He’s got a bit of stone in him with the energy, drive, passing, intensity etc.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He’s got a bit of stone in him with the energy, drive, passing, intensity etc.

I've been leery of making that comparison around these parts, but I do see a little Stone in Tkachuk's game. He's great around the net and is a much better passer than he's typically given credit for. I'm not saying he's a carbon copy, but I definitely see what you do.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

Nice compilation of Tkachuk's four most-relied on types of passes (as per Mitch Brown):

1. Saucer

Thanks!

If anyone has time, look at his WJC highlights. He shows speed, creativity(a no look pass, and little redirect) and tenacity. This kid has hockey smarts and he makes plays. He finished with 9 points and he could of ended up with a lot more.

I just hope Montreal doesn't take him and ends up being a thorn in our side for years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks!

If anyone has time, look at his WJC highlights. He shows speed, creativity(a no look pass, and little redirect) and tenacity. This kid has hockey smarts and he makes plays. He finished with 9 points and he could of ended up with a lot more.

I just hope Montreal doesn't take him and ends up being a thorn in our side for years.

Yeah, he'll be a good player, but so will a bunch of guys in that range. I'll be very happy with any of the guys ranked 3-8, and perfectly satisfied with a couple others. I've got my favourites, but can see the value and upside even in the guys I'm not as high on. I actually think the 22nd OA will be a more interesting pick. I really like Miller as a bit of a sleeper, would be thrilled if Wilde drops to us (is that reasonable? he's probably outside our reach) and can think of a few other nice options in that range.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, he'll be a good player, but so will a bunch of guys in that range. I'll be very happy with any of the guys ranked 3-8, and perfectly satisfied with a couple others. I've got my favourites, but can see the value and upside even in the guys I'm not as high on. I actually think the 22nd OA will be a more interesting pick. I really like Miller as a bit of a sleeper, would be thrilled if Wilde drops to us (is that reasonable? he's probably outside our reach) and can think of a few other nice options in that range.
I'd like a few forwards at 22 as well
Kaut
Kupari
Bergrenn
Foudy
Dellandrea
Thomas
Lundestrom

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

1. Saucer

Brady is far more skilled than some are giving credit. He has solid vision and is an excellent passer

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely, BPA every single time especially with the mess this teams currently in. I find the similarities in his game as a jr to Kucherov to be uncanny. He is the most skilled player in the draft, dont over think it just take him.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Thanks!

Montreal taking Tkachuk would be amazing. Bergevin has had the idea of making the habs bigger and tougher in his eyes for years and just keeps making that team worse and worse in his attempts. This would keep the Habs with us and the bottom feeders and we could reap the benefits be getting Zadina.

Tkachuk can ride the 4th line with McCarron and the other big plugs they love so much :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->