NHL Entry Draft If Zadina falls to the Sens should they take him?

If Zadina falls the the Sens should they take him. Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Its Erik Karlsson. Was 17th in the league in points as a D, leading in shot blocks and playing more than any player on his way to one of the great performances in this century in the playoffs and being robbed of the Norris. WTF? How is that even a question? You're gonna call Phillip's in his prime two way and not Karlsson??

Im not here to argue whether Karlsson fits the mold but hes currently our best two way guy. He still leaves a lot to be desired defensively outside of two seasons ago. Karlsson is better suited playing 2nd pk or against middle 6 lines. I dont think at this point defensively id use him to shut down other teams top lines and that's my criteria

Reactions: aragorn

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Im not here to argue whether Karlsson fits the mold but hes currently our best two way guy. He still leaves a lot to be desired defensively outside of two seasons ago.
We're one season removed from him being the best player on the planet.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Its why he wasn't included only spit balled about. Chara and Redden are the only two in my mind. Karlsson was two years ago but not last year
You mean this season?

He was very poor defensively this season I remember alot of people blaming his ankle for being poor defensively but I think it was more mental than anything. He had gone through quite a bit mentally.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Prime Phillips a two way defenceman?

He was solid defensively but not offensively.

He could have been better. Not elite, but maybe a 30 point a year guy. He had a decent shot if I remember correctly, and I think he usually got it on net. He could have been a decent option on a 2nd PP unit as a guy who just gets his shot on net and you can get a deflection or a rebound.

Remember how he would step up in the playoffs? If he played like that all the time he could have been a very valuable piece. Not that he wasn’t valuable, but he could have been even better.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's really jumped that much? I've been out of the loop for a while and it feels like a couple months ago he was looking mid-1st round.
I would say he's jumped into the the top 10 ... How high up will differ .. He could be in the 5-10 range though so it would be a bit of a reach but not that big. He's the best C in the draft and Montreal needs a C.. they could try to trade down but from 3 to say 6 .. I don't think they get that much on top because of how closely ranked the players are.. unless that team at 6 or where ever absolutely loves Zadina. But to me Zadina is a good player but he's not a franchise player so why give up assets to move up when you could potentially get a franchise Dman where you are or if you want a sniper .. you could get Wahlstrom and keep your other assets.

Reactions: Pocket Dog

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
If he falls and we take another forward, I will not really understand why and be pretty disappointed.

If he falls and we take a DMan, I will trust the team's judgment and get pretty excited about the guy we pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If he falls and we take another forward, I will not really understand why and be pretty disappointed.

If he falls and we take a DMan, I will trust the team's judgment and get pretty excited about the guy we pick.

From Reddit - comparing Brady and Matthew... just to help you understand possibly why ;)
NTDP intern chiming in. These are personal comments, do not reflect the management or coaching staff at all.
Both are excellent hockey players, but they are different sides of Keith Tkachuk. Matt is the scorer: was a better skater and better shot than Brady at this level. Brady is the grinder: the classic “play for the name on the front, grind out the cycle, take one for the boys” side of Keith.
Both are physical and excel with the puck on their stick and when the game gets tough. However, I personally think Brady can pick up a team better when it gets greasy out there. It’s why he wears the letters and is a great locker room presence.
Ceilings are going to depend on environments. Matt will succeed with a guy like Gaudreau who can spark the team and let Matt’s engine get to work in relief. Brady would do wonders with someone like Alex Barkov or Anze Kopitar: big body players who share the puck and play team-first hockey. Brady excels when he doesn’t have to lead the team in scoring, but can lead the team into battle, if that makes any sense.
TLDR: different players who exhibit the two sides of their dad. Ceilings will depend on who they’re lined up with: Matt can do it on his own but isn’t as much of a spark plug whereas Brady will need a team to get the points he can achieve, but can spark a dead whale to life.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
From Reddit - comparing Brady and Matthew... just to help you understand possibly why ;)
That would definitely make me want to not take him at 4. Worse skater and scorer than Matthew is the key here. Matthew doesn't play much with Gaudreau so its not like he's leaching goals there. Great, he can grind. That shouldn't be the most redeeming thing for a top 4 pick. Oh buy this guy is gonna be a helluva bust if he's taken in the top 10. What are we looking at here? 20 goal upside? Does he even have that?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That would definitely make me want to not take him at 4. Worse skater and scorer than Matthew is the key here. Matthew doesn't play much with Gaudreau so its not like he's leaching goals there. Great, he can grind. That shouldn't be the most redeeming thing for a top 4 pick. Oh buy this guy is gonna be a helluva bust if he's taken in the top 10. What are we looking at here? 20 goal upside? Does he even have that?
Yah we don't have to do this again. Lets see where the chips fall. I predict Brady Tkachuk will be an effective top 6 winger in the NHL within 2-3 years. I like players like Wayne Simmonds that play in the trenches and are productive in the dirty areas and are just hard.. Simmonds was never a scoring machine in junior but his game translated to the NHL well.. He was not a top 4 pick but I'd wager he'd go higher than he was drafted. Would you rather have Sam Gagner who when 6th OA or Wayne Simmonds who went 61st. Maybe a better one is Simmonds or Turris who went 3rd. I'd bet you'd want Turris. I wouldn't.

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I've read that comment before and I'm not super anti-Tkachuk or anything. If Svechnikov and Zadina are off the board, I'd be fine with taking Tkachuk even though there are other guys I'm personally more excited about. I agree with you that Tkachuk will be a good top 6er before long but Zadina has a pretty tantalizing combination of size, skill and goal-scoring ability.

I do worry a litttttle about Zadina busting, but only if he's selected by us lol.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Yeah, I've read that comment before and I'm not super anti-Tkachuk or anything. If Svechnikov and Zadina are off the board, I'd be fine with taking Tkachuk even though there are other guys I'm personally more excited about. I agree with you that Tkachuk will be a good top 6er before long but Zadina has a pretty tantalizing combination of size, skill and goal-scoring ability.

I do worry a litttttle about Zadina busting, but only if he's selected by us lol.

I don’t think Zadina can really bust his hockey IQ is too high. But I see where you’re coming from. I think Zadina will be a much better version of silfverberg and put up a lot of goals but that’s just my opinion.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
For me, the thing with Tkachuk is, you pick a guy like that when you don't have any glaring needs. A team like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa, etc. He would be super effective on teams like that, who have a lot of talent and some depth.

But with us, we could use high end talent at virtually every position. Having Tkachuk in Ottawa is like Montreal having Drouin but no centers to play with. On paper, you have a good player, but he can't do his job very well without the proper players around him.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
This may be abit of a stretch but I see a line of Logan Brown centre with the play making ability ( I have high hopes for this kid) Zadina unreal shot with great puck skills and Stone being the beauty he is makin plays.

IMO Sens have a bright future.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This may be abit of a stretch but I see a line of Logan Brown centre with the play making ability ( I have high hopes for this kid) Zadina unreal shot with great puck skills and Stone being the beauty he is makin plays.

IMO Sens have a bright future.

They would need a Alfie type to give them space. Good thing we have Stone.

Will we witness the rebirth of the CASH line? :p

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I haven't read anywhere other than in those comments that Brady is less of a gifted scorer than Matt, and both their speed seems to be similar. Grit appears to be part of a complete skill package, not his main attribute. Most scouts cite his IQ/vision as very high and his hands as being soft as silk. This isn't your typical grinder.

I'm all about Zadina if he's available, but if not, and we're going for a forward, Tkachuk is a wise choice. My only other choice would be Boqvist on D should that be a higher priority.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My #1 realistically plausible hope for this draft is Zadina, so yes, they absolutely should take him.

Honestly, would we even be having this conversation if we'd won the 3rd lottery spot? I feel like people have talked themselves into one Dman or another because they didn't want Tkachuk, and now are locking themselves in to that decision... maybe I'm wrong. Edit: Just looked at the voting results, and apparently my concern is unwarranted, I have little doubt that a small minority was higher on somebody outside the consensus top 4 and would still be looking elsewhere if Zadina fell to us.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
My #1 realistically plausible hope for this draft is Zadina, so yes, they absolutely should take him.

Honestly, would we even be having this conversation if we'd won the 3rd lottery spot? I feel like people have talked themselves into one Dman or another because they didn't want Tkachuk, and now are locking themselves in to that decision... maybe I'm wrong. Edit: Just looked at the voting results, and apparently my concern is unwarranted, I have little doubt that a small minority was higher on somebody outside the consensus top 4 and would still be looking elsewhere if Zadina fell to us.
Ill be happy with whomever we get,but the guys on here that have watched these kids do make some interesting points...I hadnt watched much of guys like Dobson,Bouchard etc,until SOA posted some highlights..I watched them all and came away very impressed

A rock solid two way defender,or a skilled possession driving forward is a real need ....Hopefully after this draft we will have filled at least one of these holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad