NHL Entry Draft If Zadina falls to the Sens should they take him?

If Zadina falls the the Sens should they take him. Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I honestly cant say whether i have Zadina ranked higher than Dobson or Bouchard . Ive written before about how D are much more impactful over W.

Mann spoke about guys 4 -8 all ranked closely and would be willing to move back and still get an impact player. That means that if our #3 guy falls to 4 we will likely draft him. Is it Zadina? Tkachuk? Nobody knows for sure at this point although hints have been to Zadina. So that means we have Zadina ranked significantly higher than the next group. That's significant because it means we are taking a player at a less important position (W over D) but also means we have him ranked a tier above which is also significant.

Im hoping for a D because the position is far more important.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
As far as trading back im not a fan of it unless we get an absolute insane offer. This franchise needs the best chance possible at obtaining elite talent and that's as close to the top of the draft as possible . This isn't the NFL draft where draft stock is worth more than a single pick. Not the same in the NHL imo

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I dont think it is a problem.
If they pick Zadina at 4th. It means he was the next best they put on there list.

Let's say there list is :
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Tkachuk
4. Bouchard
5. Zadina

If all three of Tkachuk, Bouchard and Zadina are still here at 4 they are going to take the next which would be Tkachuk or Bouchard.

If they take Zadina, it means he was the best remaining player on their list.

I was more referring to Bonk's thought of trading down if someone wanted Zadina and we didn't if he was available at 4. I agree with everything you posted. I want us to get the highest guy on our list at 4 regardless of what other teams want.

My thought was, If we traded down to 6th, that would leave the team at 5 to pick a player that may have been the higher guy on our list before we got a chance to, if that makes sense. Pick the BPA at 4 and move on is what I'm hoping.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Considering the quality of players is relatively close from 4 to 8-9, I think it'll be relatively hard to trade down because other teams' lists will be all over the place. It'll be pretty hard to chalk up what the top 10 will look like after the 2nd pick and also hard to predict what teams will do.

Unless you don't have a preference at all between 2-3 guys, then sure, but I highly doubt that's the case.

I would keep that pick and take the guy we like the most.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I voted no. I think we should take Dobson . Top pairing two way guy. Good enough offence to at minimum be a 2nd pp guy, but the skating and defensive acumen to play a shut down role and 1st pk.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
2nvw64l.jpg

Why not trade down from both? Well, it depends on who’s available at four. It also depends on how far back you want to move. Moving to six might be ok, but eight or nine? Not sure about that. This is the highest we’ve picked since 2001 I believe. It makes sense to stay at 4.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’d likely take him since he seems to be BPA.

That said, my hesitation is that Brown seemed to play very well with Brendan Lemieux whose style got him involved in games. I wonder if Tkachuk’s aggressive style could do the same. A “boom” development from Brown is one of the things that could save us from a rebuild in the next few years IMO; we’ve got a lot riding on him. Maybe Zadina fits even better, I don’t know. Food for thought.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm on the Dobson train but if Zadina is there you have to take him. He'll become our best goalscorer within a couple years. We just need talent and this guy is easily the most talented available at 4.

If Zadina is still there it will take away the pain of the draft lottery. It sucked to watch us finish second last and then end up with the fourth pick. You never know what teams picking ahead of you are going to do on draft day, so if Zadina is still there at 4 we should be ecstatic.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

That said, my hesitation is that Brown seemed to play very well with Brendan Lemieux whose style got him involved in games. I wonder if Tkachuk’s aggressive style could do the same. A “boom” development from Brown is one of the things that could save us from a rebuild in the next few years IMO; we’ve got a lot riding on him. Maybe Zadina fits even better, I don’t know. Food for thought.

Zadina Brown White

Future second line?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Why not trade down from both? Well, it depends on who’s available at four. It also depends on how far back you want to move. Moving to six might be ok, but eight or nine? Not sure about that. This is the highest we’ve picked since 2001 I believe. It makes sense to stay at 4.

I wouldn't want to move past #8 honestly, but if we can regroup and late 1st or early 2nd it might be worthwhile. Detroit, Vancouver and Chicago all have another late 1st or early 2nd round, so there could be a fit.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The trade off of picking one guy over another is big in this case because they all stack up so closely.... while bringing different strengths to the table.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
When was the last time we truly had a top pairing two way guy? A guy that defends against other teams top lines but also can efficiently move and skate the puck up and play the pk and pp? I truly cant remember. Prime Phillips? Not sure. His offensive game was never anything like Dobson. Gonchar? Maybe but his defensive game once he got here wasn't great.

This team for as long as i can remember has had top pairing offensive only guys, Karlsson, Gonchar etc or top pairing defensive only guys Phillips, A train etc.

Edit thanks to Dave. Chara for sure and ill add Redden. But that's a long time ago.

Its time we find a guy that can do and be counted on for both.

Dobson

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
When was the last time we truly had a top pairing two way guy? A guy that defends against other teams top lines but also can efficiently move and skate the puck up and play the pk and pp? I truly cant remember. Prime Phillips? Not sure. His offensive game was never anything like Dobson. Gonchar? Maybe but his defensive game once he got here wasn't great.

This team for as long as i can remember has had offensive only guys, Karlsson, Wideman, Gonchar etc or defensive only guys Phillips, A train etc.

Dobson

Chara?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Boom! And there it is. Lol completely forgot about him. Redden id say was a close 2nd to a top pairing two way guy. And look how impactful both these guys were for us. We need more of them

To a lesser extent I would throw in Sami Salo. He was a good two way guy, but he wasn’t a shutdown player who would match up against the other teams top line. I think he played 2nd unit PK and obviously would be used on the PP because of his great shot.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
To a lesser extent I would throw in Sami Salo. He was a good two way guy, but he wasn’t a shutdown player who would match up against the other teams top line. I think he played 2nd unit PK and obviously would be used on the PP because of his great shot.

I recall Salo as more of a 2nd pair guy but it's still a good comparison

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I recall Salo as more of a 2nd pair guy but it's still a good comparison

Top pairing two way guys are hard to find. Hedman would be one if were looking at other teams. I actually think Karlsson is much better in his own zone compared to when he came into the league, that he might be our best two way defenceman in team history. I guess it would be him, Chara or Redden.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Top pairing two way guys are hard to find. Hedman would be one if were looking at other teams. I actually think Karlsson is much better in his own zone compared to when he came into the league, that he might be our best two way defenceman in team history. I guess it would be him, Chara or Redden.
Doughty, Pietrangelo

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

This team for as long as i can remember has had top pairing offensive only guys, Karlsson, Gonchar etc or top pairing defensive only guys Phillips, A train etc.

Edit thanks to Dave. Chara for sure and ill add Redden. But that's a long time ago.

Dobson
Its Erik Karlsson. Was 17th in the league in points as a D, leading in shot blocks and playing more than any player on his way to one of the great performances in this century in the playoffs and being robbed of the Norris. WTF? How is that even a question? You're gonna call Phillip's in his prime two way and not Karlsson??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad