If your canadian, have you ever rooted against Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I've never cheered directly against Canada. Like if they're playing against any other team, then I'm going for Canada. But there are other teams that I like to see do well, provided it's not at Canada's expense.

west in the east

Sep 19, 2005
Vancouver
Im a nationalistic person. Born and raised Canadian. Why would I cheer against them? I always hope my Country-men and women do well in any sport. I cant see why anyone would cheer against them.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
west in the east said:
Im a nationalistic person. Born and raised Canadian. Why would I cheer against them? I always hope my Country-men and women do well in any sport. I cant see why anyone would cheer against them.

It surprises me that a Canadian would cheer against team Canada, but hey, it is a free country and we don't chose the place of our birth. I think what surprises me even more however is when someone choses to move to Canada and take Canadian citizenship only to turn around and support the team of the country from which he couldn't stand to remain in. This will never cease to baffle me. :shakehead

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I've never cheered against Canada and I can't imagine a situation where I ever would. They're my team. There'd be nothing that could make me cheer against one of my teams, be it the Canadians or the Canadiens.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Absolutely........I usually cheer against Canada in Hockey because they are the dominant team and I like too see other countries win....

However, in Baseball I always cheer for the BlueJays and in Basketball I would love too see the Raptors win ..............and if Canada ever had an NFL team, I would pull for them....just as I hate Brazil in international Football because they always win it is the same for Canada in Hockey...it gets boring....and its not good for any sport when one country or team dominates....

In international Hockey I usually pull for the U.S. and Russia....now when Alberta leaves Canada, then I will pull for Team Alberta.....only a matter of time now.. :yo:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
If you're born and raised in Canada and don't support the fellow Canadians overtop of other countries you should be deported to a poor country and your job should go to someone who is a real Canadian!

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
Born and raised Canadian, and I will always cheer for Canada. That said, it is a free country and people have the right not to cheer for their home country. I also have the right to say **** you to all those Canadians who don't cheer for Canada.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Insta said:
If you're born and raised in Canada and don't support the fellow Canadians overtop of other countries you should be deported to a poor country and your job should go to someone who is a real Canadian!

Yes, and then you should be shot. And your children that you'll never have should also be shot, along with your TV and your pet dog you had when you were 10 but died should be dug up from its grave and shot as well.

Vic Rattlehead*

I'm sorry, but I have never rooted against Canada, and I will never root against them. No way, no how.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Pathfinder said:
It surprises me that a Canadian would cheer against team Canada, but hey, it is a free country and we don't chose the place of our birth. I think what surprises me even more however is when someone choses to move to Canada and take Canadian citizenship only to turn around and support the team of the country from which he couldn't stand to remain in. This will never cease to baffle me. :shakehead

That's the most stupid thing I have read today.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Pathfinder said:

Not everyone emigrates from a country because they despise it. :speechles

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
thalunatik1979 said:
I would rather have my hands cut off than cheer against Canada... I am extremely proud to be Canadian and I could never chear agaisnt Canada in any type of event

dido

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I always cheer for Canada, never against them. and I enjoy being the best team. Beats all the times when we lose in an international event we're not good enough at and we have to hear that dumb "we tried our hardest and got our personal best" crap.

if you're born, raised, and live in Canada. I don't understand why you'd ever cheer against your home Country, but feel free. your choice.
I'll enjoy it even more when Canada wins.

now having Latvia tie the U.S.A. that was cool!

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
monster_bertuzzi said:
You just know there are some Canadian hockey fans out there that are rooting against team Canada because they don't want to see Bertuzzi get a gold medal.

I have never met such person :dunno:

However, people cheering for an underdog.....

That I can see

Jazz

I have - many times, and usually for an overmatched underdog...

But then I am actively monitoring hockey's popularity world-wide, and I know that positive (or close) results vs Canada brings media attention to hockey in that country. (such as when Denmark tied Canada 2-2 in the 2003 IHWC).

The only time I have routed against Canada in an elimination game was the 2002 IHWC QF vs Slovakia - reason was because I was disgusted with the IIHF's and NHL's treatment of Slovakia and not allowing them to ice their best team during the Olympics that year, and all the Slovak NHL stars made a point to show up to the IHWC to show they belong with hockey's elite. That plus because Canada had also just won the Olympics that year as well.... Slovakia went on to win the IHWC that year, and this has helped hockey maintain a close to #1 sport status in that country!

If you are a true hockey fan, sometimes you will look at the bigger picture....The more nations interested in hockey, the better for the hockey world

Zaddik

man i thought i was alone on this.

in the past after 2002 i absolutely despised team canada. reason being, they are THE unstoppable force currently in international hockey. no matter what, you are not going to beat this team with the kind of skill they have. it would have to take a team with players who are absolute game breakers (98 czech team had hasek, who was one of the greatest goaltenders in history). so rooting against canada has a way of rooting for the underdog. in essence i'm just not that nationalistic about our country.

but since bertuzzi got into team canada, i find myself rooting not for team canada but for bertuzzi. and i hope sweden wins the gold though we all know canada will win it ;)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
you might as well ask if i would ever cheer against the oilers, or the eskimos, or a family member playing a sport..... if you dont cheer for one country or one team all the time, no matter the circumstance or what tournament it is, then i just cannot see how you call yourself a "fan" of this team at all.... wouldnt that make you a fan of hockey "in general" and not of any particular team? thats fine and all, but to call youself a fan of a team, but say that you sometimes cheer against them..... well that simply doesnt make any sense

Rover*

monster_bertuzzi said:
You just know there are some Canadian hockey fans out there that are rooting against team Canada because they don't want to see Bertuzzi get a gold medal.

Yup and that's sad. It's even more sad that some people are rooting against gretzky in the gambling scandal cause he chose bertuzzi. Now that is even more pathetic if you ask me. :banghead:

dhasek3910

Sep 21, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I live in Edmonton, and don't cheer for the Oilers.
I will cheer for Canada, but I do root for the underdog (i.e. this morning, I put my arms in the air when Italy tied it up 1-1)
I did the same thing when Belarus beat Sweden in 2002, and the next game when they briefly closed the gap to 2-1 against Canada before getting blown out.
I cheer for individual players as well (the Europeans and goalies)
But at the end of the day, I am a Canadian, and if it's a big game, I will cheer for Canada. Memories of singing "O Canada" in my living room along with the Canadian fans at Salt Lake City was an amazing experience.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Not what the original question asked but I am American and have hated the US Olympic team since 98, when a few of the retreads retire I will probably cheer for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad