If your canadian, have you ever rooted against Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm Canadian, but have lived the grand majority of my life overseas. And even thogh I like Canada and hope they do well, sometimes in hockey I quietly find myself rooting for the opposite team. I am one of those people that likes to cheer for the underdog but Canada is never the underdog and is always expected to win, and usually does.
In womans hockey I cheer for any team besides Canada and the US.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I a traitor?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
As I said in the other thread, I hate routes, sometimes I'll find myself cheering for like the Ukraine, or like France because I hate seeing other teams get demoralized, but I'd never ever cheer for one of the other big 7 instead of Canada.

Ogopogo*

Chileiceman said:
I'm Canadian, but have lived the grand majority of my life overseas. And even thogh I like Canada and hope they do well, sometimes in hockey I quietly find myself rooting for the opposite team. I am one of those people that likes to cheer for the underdog but Canada is never the underdog and is always expected to win, and usually does.

I have done the same thing, as recently as this year's World Junior Championships. I just wanted another team to win and (gasp) I wanted the US to beat Canada.

It just gets boring having Canada win all the time. That is why I prefer the NHL, no one team can win almost all the time.

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
You are not alone.

I cheer for the teams I enjoy watching more. Why the hell am I going to enjoying watching a team more because I happen to be born in the same country as the players.

With other sports in the Olympics, for sure Canada all the way. Hockey is different, I can't explain why. I can't cheer for the home team just because it's the home team. I hate half the players on Canada anyways when their in the NHL.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Yeah, lots of times.

If someone considers you a "traitor" for not cheering for a hockey team, well, then that's just ridiculous. I'd tell them to stop being a fascist.

THE SOVIET*

Nov 16, 2003
YOU OUTGHTA KNOWWWWW
I only route for Team Canada if they have the players I would pick on the team, and this years team does so i'm cheering for them. I'm happy if they win, but I don't have to cheer for them just beacuse.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Chileiceman said:

I've rooted against Canada since they beat USA for the gold

well, that was the last canada i cheered for. after that ive cheered for Finns and Russia, and now I'm cheering for Czech

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I was indifferent when Canada won the World Cup. I was abivilent towards Canada at the World Championships last year and I plan on wearing my Italia jersey to work tomorrow. After that I'm all for Canadian gold if I feel they deserve it. This Gretzky thing isn't sitting right with me for no particular reason and I'm not crazy about the lineup. As long as the Czechs don't win, I'll be happy..

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
I would never root against my country or for another country, for that matter, but I don't look down at those who do it. No matter the size or importance of the tournament, no matter who's playing, it's never even occured to me to root for anyone else.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'm cheering for Russia this year, and also hoping Slovakia has a good run, just don't agree with/highly dislike some of the players on the Canadian squad this year.

Of course I'll hope Nash, Thornton, Regehr, Redden, Blake, Bouwmeester, and Sakic do well, I just don't like the rest of the team that much.

KariyaIsGod*

Never...

I will never in my life cheer for another country....

I Hate You All*

I always cheer for Canada, but I like Russia as well. If Canada ends up playing Russia in the finals then I will cheer for Canada.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Bure Fan said:
I always cheer for Canada, but I like Russia as well. If Canada ends up playing Russia in the finals then I will cheer for Canada.

tell me honestly, wouldn't you rather have

Kovalchuk- Datsyuk - Kovalev as your first line?

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Ovechkin_mvp said:

Over Gagne - Thornton - Nash? No.

I'll never cheer for another team. I do have a soft spot for Sweden though.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Ovechkin_mvp said:

No need to hijack threads by going way off topic. If it was win or die, I'd trade Canada's defensive corps for our Russian ones in half a heartbeat. Yet International hockey isnt about offering Canadian players Russian passports and appealling their elligiblity to the IIHF... its about winning with what you got and being proud of whatever your country (the one you're cheering for, not necessairly the one you were born in as illustrated by this thread) has to offer.

In any case, we have ourselves an exclusive Canadian old boys club here. The non Canadians are simply not allowed to participate eh?

Well since I am Canadian by citizenship I will share my rooting habits. I cheer against the favourite in most events, in Canada thats hockey... just the fact that everyone expects them to win and all the media coverage they get irks me and makes me cheer against Canada. I will cheer Sweden in a Sweden-Canada game despite not having any relation to Sweden whatsoever for example. The only exception to this is the USA, I will cheer against their hockey team if they play anyone, including Canada. Overall as a general rule, I cheer for Russia or any former Soviet Union republic (save Latvia) when they are not playing Russia. Apart from that I just go for the underdog, whichever team is playing more entertaining hockey, whichever team has players I like from the NHL, or simply whichever team hasn't upset me in recent memory by beating Russia.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Garbs said:
Over Gagne - Thornton - Nash? No.

I'll never cheer for another team. I do have a soft spot for Sweden though.

It's gonna be either Kovalchuk or Ovechkin as top scorers.

Jagr would probably number #2 or 3, and Nash then.

I think they are all great players.

all the best to Canada.

Lunatik*

I would rather have my hands cut off than cheer against Canada... I am extremely proud to be Canadian and I could never chear agaisnt Canada in any type of event

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I tend to root for the underdogs and the teams that haven't won a big tournament. This year I'll mainly be cheering for Sweden (largely due to the strong Red Wings connection) and I'd like to see a winner that is not Canada, the Czech Republic, or the USA (so someone who hasn't won a big tournament yet). I like seeing it get "mixed up" which shows that hockey is a really international, competitive sport.

Basically, my team is the Detroit Red Wings. International hockey is a fun diversion but not something I ever find myself getting emotionally attached to.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Ovechkin_mvp said:
I wish that canada would meet Russia in the finals.

Isn't it what most Canadians want to see???

absolutely. The north american media tries hard to fabricate a Canada/USA rivalry but everyone in Canada knows deep down that facing Russia in the final is the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad