If you were to do buyouts.. who would you target?

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Lets say you have the option to buy out 2 contracts (you have not been able to trade them)

Which two players who have a contract next year or beyond would you buyout (and why)

(You can not buy someone out that we have their RFA rights or someone on IR )

Here is the Sens page on Cap Friendly

Ottawa Senators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

My two are

1. Anderson - He has not been consistent for two years. Lets in weak goals all the time

2. Ryan - Makes too much money for the contributions he is giving

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Assume we are going to sign people that get us there

giphy.gif

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

In that case, just Boro, because I don't want him on the team anymore.

- Ryan is too expensive to buy out, plus it's not like the ownership is going to use his salary on a replacement player.
- Anderson only has a year left, so there's no long-term issues worth buying out, and is probably fine as a slightly overpaid backup goalie who can mentor a younger kid in that spot.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't see the point. If anything we should be actively trying to tank these next two years for some high end picks.

If we must though, Condon and Smith would get my vote.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Nobody

Buying out Ryan would be stupid. Would still cost significant money and even if he scores 40-50 pts, that would cost even more than the money saved to get on the UFA market. And if somebody comes with the argument "a young player could do his job!", I would just say "well, they already have well enough on their hands"

There's actually a tool on cap friendly to check this out.

Bobby Ryan Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Something that could be done with Ryan would be maybe trade him for a costly veteran D-man but with maybe less salary owed or a year less left.

That being said, you never know with Melnyk, his cash flow problems seem very real so it could be done to save money in the short term.

Sens are like 18 M$ under the floor right now, they will probably have a hard time to reach that floor. I mean, costly UFAs won't line up to come here with the current ownership.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bobby Ryan - he just can play past January in the NHL he’s in such bad shape.

Last 10 games he has 2 points and is -9.

Just get rid of him. It was a mistake from the second the trade was made, this rebuild is about fixing Ottawa and Ryan off the team would be a thing that needs fixing

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Anderson too - he’s just cashing cheques at this point. He wants out, his play is declining, move on

Reactions: gab6511

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Condon just so he doesn't take a spot from a younger guy, whether it's here or in Belleville. No one else is worth buying out.

I agree with this. Condon clearly can't play anymore, and has been passed on the depth chart by Hogberg. Just buy him out. Beyond that, for as much as I would like to buy out Smith and Anderson, we need them to hit the floor, and they fill a fourth line/back up goalie role for next year. Ditto for Bobby Ryan - he helps us hit the floor, and it's not like he will be taking the spot of a better player, at least next year.

Keep in mind that Ryan gets a bonus of $2 million which doesn't count against the buyout, making him an even less attractive buyout candidate. Once you buy him out, you have to replace his spot on the roster with someone. The day we have a kid making NHL minimum knocking on the door ready to take Ryan's spot, NOW you buy him out, but until then you just suck it up and keep him.

Finally, if you take a look at the list of UFAs who may fall between the cracks this summer, i.e. don't get an offer early and are still hanging around after week one, it is NOT a very attractive list. If a team likes a guy, they generally don't let him get to July 1. There are obviously a few high profile exceptions to that rule this year, but it definitely applies to the budget free agents we could afford to sign...

Reactions: DrEasy and Smeddy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not really any point.

But if we're serious about rebuilding and building up a team with the right culture...Ryan for sure. Just to get his lazy ass attitude away from the kids.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Due to Ryan's bonuses, buying him out would mean he'd get an extra 500k and three more years of money than his current contract is structured.

Also if you take the 2021 season as being when we're ready to spend, we wouldn't want to have any cap space tied up in buyouts, so that rules out Zack Smith.

But Condon and Borowiecki buyouts would be off the books at the end of 21,and in the process save 1.4M.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You're much better off trying to trade Ryan while retaining on his salary than buying him out especially when you take into account how his buyout would affect our cap.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't see the point. If anything we should be actively trying to tank these next two years for some high end picks.

If we must though, Condon and Smith would get my vote.
Exactly.

Buying out Ryan makes 0 sense for this team at this point. Wild that people look at this roster and don't want him. Smith is horrible.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
buyout Anderson, condon, Ryan, boedker, boro

trade Ceci for whatever people will pay.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Exactly.

Buying out Ryan makes 0 sense for this team at this point. Wild that people look at this roster and don't want him. Smith is horrible.

Bobby is also a really good dude. Say what you will about his on ice play, the guy's a vet and a pro, and we need guys like him now more than ever.

Reactions: bert and swiftwin

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant really see anybody we actually need to buy out next season,Andy is done after this season and likely could be moved at or before the TDL

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Smith - Shouldn't have to explain this one but here goes: he sucks. Bad penalties. No defensive awareness at times. Slow thinking. Slow skating. Terrible.

Anderson - Roll with Nilsson and Hogberg next year with Gus and maybe somebody else getting a few starts over the course of the year. Sort out our prospect depth in nets. Also let poor Andy go somewhere where he won't be beaten like a rented mule on a nightly basis.

Reactions: topshelf15

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Bobby is also a really good dude. Say what you will about his on ice play, the guy's a vet and a pro, and we need guys like him now more than ever.
He is always a guy who volunteers for interviews during uneasy times.
He seems to get overlooked as a vet when it comes time to hand out the "A" to players. Obviously not viewed as a leader!

Reactions: DrEasy

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Nobody. But if forced to pick, I guess Anderson. He's probably the worst starting goalie in the league and we'd be better off giving those games to someone else (and I think he'd like a change as well).
D0vX3wTXcAchDPd.png:large

Also, our D... one young player put in over his head and two vets who are very bad at what they do (and should be replaced next year).

D0yMwZfWkAEIpY-.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad