If you were the Leafs GM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
Lol keep thinking that. It’s horrible asset management and the Leafs plummeted Nylander’s value by giving him that huge contract. 7M AAS for a soft inconsistent player, I don’t think any team touches that.
Every team in the league takes Nylander with that contract.

After the dust settles this summer and all the big time RFA wingers have signed their contracts, Nylanders will look fine. He had a slow start but he’s been good lately. Just watch a game, he looks like a $7 million winger.

The leafs won’t have to sacrifice any of the big names anyways. It will just be a struggle to keep some of the good depth players like Brown, Kapenen, Johnsson etc.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
This shouldn't be a conversation. The whole point of locking in an RFA is to eat up years of UFA time while removing player risk. At the end of the day you gamble on getting future upside on the cheap.

It doesn't look like Toronto understands that.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Do people really think Matthews ceiling is higher than marners? I feel like Matthews gets a bit overrated.

Depends on how much you weigh points vs overall play.

Bergeron has never been a huge point producer but i'd take him over almost any winger in the game who outscores him.

I've always thought Marner would be the higher scorer but Matthews the more dominant player because he plays a more important position and we rarely see centers with his ability to score goals. To some that statement makes no sense as more points means the better player to some.

But I think you don't win without both driving separate lines as that type of depth is hard to duplicate for the other 30 teams.

In a world with an $80 mil and rising cap you can afford to have 3 big contracts as long as you know how to fill out your roster. We've been locking up all our depth through next year on very cheap deals. And still have players like Kadri to dangle if we want to make a bigger move to fill a hole elsewhere.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
This shouldn't be a conversation. The whole point of locking in an RFA is to eat up years of UFA time while removing player risk. At the end of the day you gamble on getting future upside on the cheap.

It doesn't look like Toronto understands that.

The point is to sign your players to terms and aav's you're content to move forward with.

There's lots of times for those young guys to get the max term on their 3rd contracts. Especially since there will be new CBA's and TV deals done by then likely meaning even more money for the upper tier guys.

Both the team and players can benefit from shorter terms and lower aav's if everyone is on board for the long haul.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Nylander.

Dubas really ****ed himself with these contracts. He should have just made Nylander sit the year to send a message. But instead now everyones getting paid.

Matter of fact, Dubas ****ed everyone in the league.

Making him sit the year would of been a bad situation all around. Trading him would of been an option although he didn’t get over paid by much. It’s the Matthews contract leafs fans have a problem with. Didn’t get the 8 year term but paid the 8 year price

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This year was Toronto's peak cap window. They'll run into the same problem as the Penguins had for years, not enough cap for the support players. It also becomes hard to draft good young players when your 1st round picks are close to early 2nds and you're pressured to throw away potential for a 3 month rental. Leafs are also in a worse place considering that the Pens signed their big contracts when they were allowed to be front loaded, cap was rising much faster and the Pens had better top end players.

The only way to overcome this is by focusing on guys who overperform their caphit and spending assets for other teams to retain salary on decent player. You can't sit around and keep guys like Nylander who's a luxury at a bad performance to cap ratio

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Do people really think Matthews ceiling is higher than marners? I feel like Matthews gets a bit overrated.

am a leafs fan; and i love matthews. that said, given his commitment on ice on everyday basis compared to marner; i dont think his ceiling is higher than marner.

marner on a nightly basis brings it and makes his line mates better. matthews isn't there yet; if you don't believe me go to the leafs board and see people whining about matthews' wingers - yet forget that marner carried kadri/marleau last season

marner's impact is such that when leafs play boston; cassidy plans for marner first then everybody else; how do i know this? look at his pressers

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would offer a 2nd and Bracco to the Rangers to take Marleau and his contract.

Look to trade Kadri for a young cost controlled RHD. Maybe if Vancouver is serious about surrounding Pettersson with some actual talent a trade like Kadri for Woo would be of interest? I'm probably selling a tad low here but the

I'm not an expert on the Leafs cap situation but wouldn't that be enough money to give Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson extensions?

Marner at 11, Kapanen and Johnsson each get 3.5-4 on two year bridge deals.

Assuming Zaitsev is untradable and would hope to keep Nylander no matter what.

marleau has a full NTC/NMC

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Unfortunately for Marner, for whatever reason, he has to do 10x as much as Matthews, for 10x as long to be given even a tenth of the status that is just handed to Matthews.

As a guy who watches this teamjust about every game without having an emotional bond to the team or any player, it’s really confusing.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Matthews is the more valuable player and his ceiling is higher than anyone not named McDavid. You'd take him if you had to pick between him and Mitch. But the premise is flawed, both players will be Leafs long term. If anything Nylander or Kapanen will be the cap casualties.

Or Kucherov>matthews

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I love how there's so many fans out there just loving that the Leafs are going to have cap problems like it's some awful situation they're in. Having too many good players to fit under the cap is pretty much the best problem you can have as a GM. I mean piling up superstar players is pretty much the goal of every team isn't it? This situation they're in isn't a result of poor management or signings; it's a result of excellent drafting, developing and player management. High end talent costs a fortune and they've got too much of it. There's no way around paying these guys; it's got nothing to do with Dubas' negotiating skills. And 5 minutes spent on capfriendly it's easy to see that's it's not nearly as big of a problem as everyone's making it out to be. The core will be kept in tact and that core alone will make them better than half the league for the next 5-7 years. The rest is just filler.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I wouldn't trade any of the big 3 (or 4 now with Tavares). Dubas, in reality, probably just needs to survive next season in terms of the cap crunch (Marleau is gone after that and likely replaced with a player at 1/3 the cost, cap presumably continues to rise, etc).

I don't think I'd give it to Marner at 12 million but I think you can concede at 10.5 and be okay about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad