OT: If you were in the NHL, what team would you want to play for?

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Pretend that you have a choice. You can choose whitch team to play on. Depending on what position you would play, you might prefer one team over the other.

I'd choose to play for Anaheim or Florida. I would get to play hockey every day and be by the warm beaches. Paradise.
Other than those two, Phoenix is a great choice. It's where I grew up, they have a state of the art arena, great leadership/coaching etc. I'd also fit into Tippets system well, as I am not the flashiest player and I play a defensive style.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Phoenix would be choice number one.

I'd say Los Angeles and Dallas are two and three.

Anaheim works, too. Or even San Jose, I suppose. Vancouver and Colorado would be okay I guess.

Carolina and Washington would be cool. Maybe even Montreal.

Oh and I'm just assuming I'm a 4th line wing lucky to have a job. Haha. This is based more on cities.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
When it comes to getting a contract, I'll play for any team that will pay the the most money and have the terms of the contract that work in my favor.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Since we're pretending, I would be a generational player who would play for any Sun Belt team. I would win many cups, make my city a hockey hotbed and tell all "traditional hockey markets" to go **** themselves.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When it comes to getting a contract, I'll play for any team that will pay the the most money and have the terms of the contract that work in my favor.

So you would be like every other greedy NHL player today!:)

I would do the same thing. Money talks.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Since we're pretending, I would be a generational player who would play for any Sun Belt team. I would win many cups, make my city a hockey hotbed and tell all "traditional hockey markets" to go **** themselves.

LOL:yo:

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
Montreal would be fun. I don't speak a word of French though. I hear there are lots of attractive girls up there eh :naughty:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
So you would be like every other greedy NHL player today!:)

I would do the same thing. Money talks.:nod:

If I was being greedy then I would demand these terms to go along with select teams of my choice. I would be willing to play on a losing teams for 10+ yars in the least popular market if the owner was willing to pony up. Then when I'm near retirement, I'll just go pull a Ray Baroque.

Last edited:

Vip

Jul 25, 2010

I feel like most of us would do this. The reason being, who knows how long you will be in the NHL. Might as well earn as much coin as you can and have a guarantee of contract years.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
We're way, way biased on this one. Let's just assume Phoenix is at the top of everyone's list unless they explicitly state otherwise, and go from there.

1) Detroit. Yup. Whatever you might think of their fans, the organization has a reputation for treating players very well. An extreme example would be Vladimir Konstantinov: when they've won the Cup, they've made sure that Vlad the Impaler has been part of the celebration. Top class.

2) Vancouver. I think the colors would look good on me, and holy ****, is BC pretty.

3) Colorado, for the same reasons. I love me some snowy mountains. That said, given my first answer, I may now have to kick my own ass.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Obvious answer: whatever team would have me. The NHL is the dream, not just one or two teams.

For the sake of the thread: A non-traditional market. I'd be "done" in the heat in June and I could go wherever until September. A little more relaxed fan base that would let me eat dinner / walk down the street in peace.

Also ... new city every 2 years. I don't need to have my jersey retired and be a "team legend" ... I want to experience as many different things as I can. When the NHL is done with me, I'm headed to Europe to play for Jokerit in Finland or Frolunda in Sweden or Adler Mannheim in Germany or CSKA in Russia. When Europe's done with me, I'm headed to Asia to play for Anyang Halla in South Korea or Nippon Paper Cranes in Japan.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
Obvious answer: whatever team would have me. The NHL is the dream, not just one or two teams.

For the sake of the thread: A non-traditional market. I'd be "done" in the heat in June and I could go wherever until September. A little more relaxed fan base that would let me eat dinner / walk down the street in peace.

Also ... new city every 2 years. I don't need to have my jersey retired and be a "team legend" ... I want to experience as many different things as I can. When the NHL is done with me, I'm headed to Europe to play for Jokerit in Finland or Frolunda in Sweden or Adler Mannheim in Germany or CSKA in Russia. When Europe's done with me, I'm headed to Asia to play for Anyang Halla in South Korea or Nippon Paper Cranes in Japan.

You actually have a good point about switching teams up. Let's you kinda see the world a little better. Nice.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Planning on being a bachelor for life I see. haha

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Coyotes, Sharks, Ducks, Kings, Avs, Stars, Preds, Canes

Coyotes because I grew up here and would love to stay here.

California teams because its close to home and is a pretty nice place to live.

Avs because of same reason as California teams but not as much.

Stars, Canes, and Nash for the BBQ!

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Phoenix obvious number one choice.

L.A. or Anaheim number 2 choice. Because I live and love it in Southern California.

Nashville because I love country girls and country culture.

Montreal because I love their team, jerseys, history, and I could learn French

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Pretend that you have a choice. You can choose whitch team to play on. Depending on what position you would play, you might prefer one team over the other.

I'd choose to play for Anaheim or Florida. I would get to play hockey every day and be by the warm beaches. Paradise.
Other than those two, Phoenix is a great choice. It's where I grew up, they have a state of the art arena, great leadership/coaching etc. I'd also fit into Tippets system well, as I am not the flashiest player and I play a defensive style.

Since I have a hard time even pretending I could be a #1 NHL goalie anywhere at my age , I'd want to be Smitty's backup here in Phoenix. Failing that, backup in SJ or Anaheim.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Assuming all teams are offering me an equal contract I would consider:
1 - which city do I want to live in the most
2 - which team fits the best for me playing AND gives me the best chance to win a cup

My top 5 preferences
Montreal - original 6, so much tradition, amazing city/culture
Boston - original 6, chance to live in Mass.
Vancouver - amazing city to live in, mountains and oceans
Phoenix - playing hockey in the desert would be fun
Colorado - one of the cities in the US I really want to live in

Honourable mention Winnipeg - soft spot for my home town

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
As a young player I would want to play in a traditional market where hockey is the number one draw in town. Would love to play in any Canadian city. As I grew older and wanted to settle down I would want to go to a market where I could blend in and live a normal life with my family. I would choose to sign with a Southern team if possible to get away from winter up north.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Other than the Yotes:

1. NY Islanders
2. Boston
3. Chicago

BarkingMad

Once and Future King
Oct 31, 2013
Camelot
Assuming Phoenix as given and assuming I would play as goalie, I would choose a high-pressure environment to begin my career. Somewhere like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver (can't bring myself to include Philly in this list) would be an ideal start. In this fantasy world I would then take my 'talents' to a more southern team for the larger portion -and end- of my career, San Jose perhaps would be the #1 choice -excluding the Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad