OT: If you were in the GM seat today....

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
way too many assumptions in this post. Devine said there was really any opportunity to move up higher than 35. They made a number of calls and proposals but no one was willing to move from their position until finally Carolina called again. And since when did we get Niederreiter? :help:

I was refering given what the isles gave up for Niederreiter what was buffal ofer for him. On the boards here do you honestly think people would have said that offer was great...no.

If they made the deal of Sekera when picks were around 18 then buffalo would have had 35 and 38... Thus having those two picks they could have easily gotten to around 23-25. They had that in hand the deals would have been easier. And as I said they could have used their 5th round picks to move up a couple of spots and get what guy they wanted.

There isn't assumptions it's questioning how the draft was being operated.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I was refering given what the isles gave up for Niederreiter what was buffal ofer for him. On the boards here do you honestly think people would have said that offer was great...no.

If they made the deal of Sekera when picks were around 18 then buffalo would have had 35 and 38... Thus having those two picks they could have easily gotten to around 23-25. They had that in hand the deals would have been easier. And as I said they could have used their 5th round picks to move up a couple of spots and get what guy they wanted.

There absolutely are assumptions. Where are you getting this information? Find me a link of someone, anyone, saying the 23-25 or 30-34 picks were available, and willing to be parted with for a 2nd rounder and 5ths? You're also assuming the Sekera deal was available to them earlier on. Finally, when you say to get the guy they wanted, they did exactly that with Compher, they would have picked him with a late first round pick as well

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sa...art-busy-draft-day-only-pull-off-minor-trade/
After Zadorov, the Sabres wanted JT Compher badly, and even explored moving up late into the first round to grab the American center.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There absolutely are assumptions. Where are you getting this information? Find me a link of someone, anyone, saying the 23-25 or 30-34 picks were available, and willing to be parted with for a 2nd rounder and 5ths? You're also assuming the Sekera deal was available to them earlier on. Finally, when you say to get the guy they wanted, they did exactly that with Compher, they would have picked him with a late first round pick as well

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sa...art-busy-draft-day-only-pull-off-minor-trade/

Building on your post, looking at the other two draft pick based deals from early in the day:

- San Jose moves up from 20 to 18 costing them pick 58. Two spots... for 58??

- Kings sends 57, 88, and 96 to the Oil for 37. That's a 2nd, 3rd and 4th to move up 20 spots in the second round.

2nd rounders would not have gotten Buffalo back into the late first round (and they didn't).

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Truth is Carolina probably didn't decide it wanted to trade 35 until it got there and whoever they were hoping would fall to the spot was gone. That's usually how it goes and all indications are that's how it went here.

Buffalo explored trade up opportunities all day and aside from the offer that they didn't feel was worth it to get to #5, there were no other scenarios they found practical. It was going to cost 38 + 52 just to move up to the early 30's to get Compher. Think about that for a second, it's crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad