If you were GOD which team would u eliminate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic*

As God I hereby render the Anaheim Mighty Ducks null and void. Let their assets be spread far and wide across the league, in a mighty dispersal draft. And on the 7th day I'm gonna chill.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
ALL THE CANADIAN TEAMS!!! yeah, their dollar sucks!!!! The states pwn the NHL!!! Who needs fan support when youve got a higher dollar!!

sounds reasonable, right? :dunno:

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
As for an answer that doesnt make fun of morons, Here it is:

1: Carolina. They cant support their team. End of story. I dont think wherever they are is a well populated area, although I could be wrong.
2.Anaheim. The Los Angeles Kings really take up the majority of LA fans. I like the fans they do have, but theyre not enough.

And if you resent it because it's your favourite team, It's kind of too bad, because struggling teams that are pulling down the product and everything else of the NHL It's natural for us to want them gone. And if youve noticed it's always canadians doing these threads, maybe it's because we resent the fact that cities who hardly care about hockey are being given teams because of Bettman, and he tries to blame the players and their salaries for the teams failures, rather than the crappy fanfare.

I wonder what american baseball fans think of the Montreal Expos?

Edit: On the other hand, some teams need to be given time. How could you suggest Atlanta to be contracted??? because of their southern location? I hold no bias of where the team plays. Atlanta, Columbus, Tampa Bay are not bad at all I dont think when it comes to fan support. Tampa Bay could very well become a hockey town when its all said and done, I read about them going bonkers during the Lightning's playoff run, and Ive been kind of impressed with the support the team has gotten over the years considering how low life they were not 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
Sotnos said:
Just as reasonable as "let's get rid of teams where it doesn't snow"

I also commented on that in my next post. But I have also noticed that places with more traditional hockey backgrounds tend to have more attendance, and quite often those places happen to be more northern. It may be hard to conceive for some, but perhaps thats why people tend to look at southern teams as a good place to start fixing up this diluted NHL by contracting/relocating.

I have yet to see a good arguement against contracting a few of these teams like Anaheim/Carolina/Nashville/Florida aside from "they have fans that would be alienated". Well too bad! Winnipeg and Quebec got alienated too.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Chicago Blackhawks

My Reason Why:

I like Chicago. I think they have a good future and a good team but frankly I don't like their owner and I don't think if Wirtz continues that good future is going to be there when guys like Ruutu are up for a contract negotiation. I think they need to find a way to draw people back to the game instead of the Chicago Wolves. And I think that like Minnesota, when you contract Chicago you bring them back a few years later when the NHL is stablize and give it to a owner who cares. If Wirtz complains, well figure something out but Chicago does need to get a lot of things straightened out. They have a good team like I said, just not a good owner and I don't think you can wrest control of the team from him.

Carolina Hurricanes

My Reason Why:

Stupid move to put a team in Carolina, I'm sorry. Raleigh maybe a big town but they aren't a frenzy state of hockey loving folks. Plus this has come up a bunch and I have to agree that the team needs some revitilization. Will he ever sign some good FAs?

Florida Panthers

My Reason Why:

Two teams in Florida...NO! I'm sorry. Again good future but just not a place for hockey fans.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Do you really think God would be able to shut down the business of any these arch capitalists. They are probably all well protected from him.

X0ssbar

None. Move them to new markets and try again if they are struggling.

Hockey is best viewed live and the more outlets to view this great game at the professional level the better IMO - with 30 being the limit.

With a cap maybe some Canadian cities could become a viable option for relocation? Vegas, Anchorage or Oaklahoma City are other markets that could be possibilities.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I would eliminate Wirtz.
Then I'd eliminate Disney and rename the Mighty Ducks.
Then I'd remake about a dozen team logos.
Finally, I'd snap my fingers and create a giant, usable mass transit system to the Meadowlands so people would have some way of getting there other than driving. And people wonder why attendance is bad.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Finally, I'd snap my fingers and create a giant, usable mass transit system to the Meadowlands so people would have some way of getting there other than driving. And people wonder why attendance is bad.
I understand that you folks up there are used to mass transit, but really, other people do have to drive through horrible traffic to games, and we still show up! Is this a lack-of-car issue or a bad-traffic issue? Just curious, because most people I know who live/lived in the area still had a car even if they didn't take it to work.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Sotnos said:
I understand that you folks up there are used to mass transit, but really, other people do have to drive through horrible traffic to games, and we still show up! Is this a lack-of-car issue or a bad-traffic issue? Just curious, because most people I know who live/lived in the area still had a car even if they didn't take it to work.

It really is a matter of being increadibly out of the way and people having no convenient way of getting there. Going to a hockey game takes about 30 minutes from where I am and I'm really close... getting home takes considerably longer. The traffic is terrible but the location is the real problem, more than anything else.

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
Largest North American cities: Ranked by population

(I've omitted cities without franchises - for example, Mexico City is #1)...

2. New York, United States...Rangers
3. Los Angeles, United States...Kings
4. Chicago, United States...Blackhawks
5. Toronto, Canada...Maple Leafs
11. Philadelphia, United States...Flyers
13. Phoenix, United States...Coyotes
17. Dallas, United States...Stars
25. Montreal, Canada...Canadiens
27. Detroit, United States...Red Wings
30. San Jose, United States...Sharks
31. Calgary, Canada...Flames
36. Columbus, United States...Blue Jackets
40. Edmonton, Canada...Oilers
49. Boston, United States...Bruins
55. Nashville, United States...Predators
56. Denver, United States...Avalanche
58. Washington, United States...Capitals
66. Vancouver, Canada....Canucks
83. Atlanta, United States...Thrashers
98. Miami, United States...Panthers
103. Saint Louis, United States...Blues
108. Ottawa, Canada...Senators
126. Buffalo, United States...Sabres
146. Anaheim, United States....Mighty Ducks of
117. Pittsburgh, United States...Penguins
123. Tampa, United States...Lightning
131. Raleigh, United States...Hurricanes

xxx408. ~ last city on the list...those that didn't make the cut:

x. East Rutherford, United States...Devils
x. Long Island, United States...Islanders
x. St. Paul, United States...Wild

once again, this is just based on population (over 100,000) - I just thought it would be interesting to see how they ranked... of course there are a lot of other factors to consider when determining if a paticular urban setting is fit to support an NHL franchise...

and a good read from msnbc --> Non-traditional NHL cities on thin ice

jacketracket*

Trottier said:
If I were "God," I'd eliminate all those fans who are constantly trying to eliminate other cities teams.
Let me second (or third) this post.

Well said.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Firstly, pretending I were God, I'd have to assume a higher moral standard, especially relative to the atmosphere. Given the dominance of North American fans on the site, I'd have to attach myself to the notions of God that are distributed by the different facets of Christianity.

Secondly, if I were God, what would I be more concerned with - the state of the game of hockey, or symbolism that flies right in the face of divinity?

The first team I'd eliminate would be the New Jersey Devils. This is an obvious one. Having them as a franchise is bad enough, but allowing them to be one of the best teams is an insult to everything I've created. It solidifies the idea that satanism leads to success. The one thing this team has going is that they have the second coming of Jesus as their active goaltender.

The second team I'd eliminate would be the Buffalo Sabres. Not only is my arch nemesis on this squad, but he's designated as their team leader? Proposterous.

Since the teams are so close geographically, I'll probably just destroy the whole of New York State with a hurricane or something, to save my holy time. Therefore, the third and fourth teams I'd eliminate are the Islanders and the Rangers, for no real good reasons.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Thresher said:
(I've omitted cities without franchises - for example, Mexico City is #1)...

2. New York, United States...Rangers
3. Los Angeles, United States...Kings
4. Chicago, United States...Blackhawks
5. Toronto, Canada...Maple Leafs
11. Philadelphia, United States...Flyers
13. Phoenix, United States...Coyotes
17. Dallas, United States...Stars
25. Montreal, Canada...Canadiens
27. Detroit, United States...Red Wings
30. San Jose, United States...Sharks
31. Calgary, Canada...Flames
36. Columbus, United States...Blue Jackets
40. Edmonton, Canada...Oilers
49. Boston, United States...Bruins
55. Nashville, United States...Predators
56. Denver, United States...Avalanche
58. Washington, United States...Capitals
66. Vancouver, Canada....Canucks
83. Atlanta, United States...Thrashers
98. Miami, United States...Panthers
103. Saint Louis, United States...Blues
108. Ottawa, Canada...Senators
126. Buffalo, United States...Sabres
146. Anaheim, United States....Mighty Ducks of
117. Pittsburgh, United States...Penguins
123. Tampa, United States...Lightning
131. Raleigh, United States...Hurricanes

xxx408. ~ last city on the list...those that didn't make the cut:

x. East Rutherford, United States...Devils
x. Long Island, United States...Islanders
x. St. Paul, United States...Wild

once again, this is just based on population (over 100,000) - I just thought it would be interesting to see how they ranked... of course there are a lot of other factors to consider when determining if a paticular urban setting is fit to support an NHL franchise...

and a good read from msnbc --> Non-traditional NHL cities on thin ice

Just out of curiosity, was that just the population of the city or the metropolitan area?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
kmad said:
Firstly, pretending I were God, I'd have to assume a higher moral standard, especially relative to the atmosphere. Given the dominance of North American fans on the site, I'd have to attach myself to the notions of God that are distributed by the different facets of Christianity.

Secondly, if I were God, what would I be more concerned with - the state of the game of hockey, or symbolism that flies right in the face of divinity?

The first team I'd eliminate would be the New Jersey Devils. This is an obvious one. Having them as a franchise is bad enough, but allowing them to be one of the best teams is an insult to everything I've created. It solidifies the idea that satanism leads to success. The one thing this team has going is that they have the second coming of Jesus as their active goaltender.

The second team I'd eliminate would be the Buffalo Sabres. Not only is my arch nemesis on this squad, but he's designated as their team leader? Proposterous.

Since the teams are so close geographically, I'll probably just destroy the whole of New York State with a hurricane or something, to save my holy time. Therefore, the third and fourth teams I'd eliminate are the Islanders and the Rangers, for no real good reasons.
:lol: :lol: :handclap:

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I would contract no one, hell lets expand till we can't expand no more.

it'll be like the CHL

first you have NHL North America, then NHL Europe, then NHL Asia(includes Russia, Ukraine, Kazhakastan and I guess other former Soviet states/eastern European nations...and Japan)

then you have playoffs for those 3 leagues

then those 3 Leagues champions have a tournament ala the Memorial Cup, only for the Stanley Cup.

It's be kinda cool in theory but would never work.

allthough I can see it now, you'd have teams in Moscow, Helsinki, Berlin, Prague, Tokyo(why the hell not?) everywhere!

we'd expand Hockey into a truely global sport and every city would sell out, we'd see teams everywhere like Mexico City, Bejing, Havanah, why not Seoul? Baghdad? Kabul? the list goes on!

and it would work to!

why?

because I'd be god muther ****er I'D MAKE IT WORK!!!!:teach:

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Nashville
Columbus
Anaheim
Atlanta
Florida
Carolina
Pittsburgh OR Buffalo
Phoenix

ifesfor said:
He all know that the talent is spread out in the league because there is too many team.Which team woudl u simply "close" to add more talent to every team?

Here are my vote:

1-Nashville
2-Columbus
3-Florida
4-Carolina

When i see these 4 team at tv,i dont even mind watching the game, i know it will be just boring.Except NASH in columbus, well there is nothing incerdible to see

Now we would be back at 26 team, and that will give us a better show no? :)

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
There may not be a need for contraction, as if the lockout lasts more than 18 months, several teams may not take the ice ever again. Here are some of the possible teams that could fold:

1. Pittsburgh. The Pens money problems are well known and nobody would be interested in investing in a team in a league that has no idea when they'll be playing again. The slot machines won't save the Pens if the league isn't playing. They've tempted fate several times, but will their luck run out?

2. Carolina. Putting a team in North Carolina was not a bad idea, just putting the team in the Triad was. Putting an NHL team in a region that has a huge NCAA basketball following wasn't too smart. Who would you rather go see, Duke, UNC or the 'Canes? Charlotte would have been a better city for the team, and they really could have attracted more fans during the gap between NBA teams in Charlotte.

3. Anaheim. Anaheim would have never gotten an NHL team if Disney wasn't involved. Over the last few years, Disney has been wanting to divest its sports holdings (so far only the Angels have been sold).

4. Calgary/Edmonton. These two teams have been among the teams that have been rumored for relocation in the past, and while these teams have been held up as examples of fiscal responsibilty under the old CBA, they don't have the finances to weather a prolonged lockout.

5. Nashville. Putting a team in Nashville seemed like a good idea at the time, but Music City is still in its' infancy as a major league sports town, and it seems that the Titans are the draw in Nashville, not the Preds. Nashville has a history of hockey, but those teams were AA level or lower.

Those that think that Atlanta should be contracted if there were to be contraction are off base. We'd still have the Flames if Tom Cousins would have sold the team to Ted Turner instead the group led by Nelson Skalbania. Unfortunately, Turner was not interested in an NHL team at that time; when CNN/Time Warner was awarded the Thrashers, he said that he wishes he would have bought them (the Flames) when he had the chance, as it would have saved him a lot of money to get an NHL team. Turner was actually offered several NHL teams in the early 1990s (North Stars & Nordiques, and supposedly was offered the Pens in the 1980s as well), but turned down the chance to buy them due to the lack of a quality arena (He didn't want to put his hockey team in the Omni, as it was an outdated facility, and a new arena was up in the air until after the 1996 Olympics).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->