If you were GOD which team would u eliminate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylab

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatoon
Visit site
HckyFght said:
This makes the most sense to me. Although why not just eliminate all the Canadian teams? They talk a lot about Canadian pride and love of the game but clearly can't keep their dollar up where it ought to be and all their players insist on being paid in US funds. Eliminate the Canadian teams and they can have their freakin original six back, lock out American and European players, and have the game go back to being all Canadian. The Canadian Hockey League. Of course it'll be played by nothing but old men but hey, better than all these foreigners ruining "Canada's Game" -HckyFght!

What starts as a relatively coherent attempt at a tongue in cheek post completely loses me in the second part.
If you eliminate the Canadian teams, how do "they" (whoever they are) get their original six back? (wouldn't the American original six teams need to be kicked out of the NHL as well before forming the original six league?)
are you attempting to draw a connection between the Canadian Hockey League and the original six?
Assuming that a hockey league that was comprised only of Canadian players actually happened (not that I'd want it to), why would the players have to be old? Couldn't Thornton, Lecavalier, etc. play in it as well?

your ramblings lost me...

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Kravitch said:
Get rid of all the American teams.

*runs away from all the over sensitive fans*

The only thing that would happen is that after a few years you'd have a CFL and NFL of hockey, oooh Hamilton vs Saskatoon, can't wait!

Kravitch

Skylab said:
What starts as a relatively coherent attempt at a tongue in cheek post completely loses me in the second part.
If you eliminate the Canadian teams, how do "they" (whoever they are) get their original six back? (wouldn't the American original six teams need to be kicked out of the NHL as well before forming the original six league?)
are you attempting to draw a connection between the Canadian Hockey League and the original six?
Assuming that a hockey league that was comprised only of Canadian players actually happened (not that I'd want it to), why would the players have to be old? Couldn't Thornton, Lecavalier, etc. play in it as well?

your ramblings lost me...
I don't think he knows that there is already a Canadian Hockey League.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
explosivethinman said:
Toronto - It's been nearly forty years since they've won a cup. It's time to close up shop.

Detroit - Too old. The old players are just going to hold the young ones back. Get rid of the wings and let the young players go somewhere they can be useful.

Colorado - Forsberg is gone, Roy is gone. They had a nice run but there is really no reason to keep this team around.

Montreal - Best fans in the world, but the team will never be able to live up to their high expectations. We should free the players from this bondage and stop setting up the habs fans for disappointment. Eliminate the Canadiens and life will go much smoother for all involved.

Eliminate 4 of the largest markets and congratulations. The NHL WILL FAIL.

starwalker

Jan 12, 2004
Visit site
All the American Teams and bring back the Jets, Nordiques and give Hamilton a team! Imagine the depth if there was only 9 teams!

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
If you wanna do it based revenues according to Forbes, then:

1. Phoenix
2. Nashville
3. Edmonton
4. Buffalo

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
best post ever
i still can't stop laughing.

explosivethinman said:
Toronto - It's been nearly forty years since they've won a cup. It's time to close up shop.

Detroit - Too old. The old players are just going to hold the young ones back. Get rid of the wings and let the young players go somewhere they can be useful.

Colorado - Forsberg is gone, Roy is gone. They had a nice run but there is really no reason to keep this team around.

Montreal - Best fans in the world, but the team will never be able to live up to their high expectations. We should free the players from this bondage and stop setting up the habs fans for disappointment. Eliminate the Canadiens and life will go much smoother for all involved.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
you sure you are a hockey fan ?
go watch wrestling, boy.

HckyFght said:
This makes the most sense to me. Although why not just eliminate all the Canadian teams? They talk a lot about Canadian pride and love of the game but clearly can't keep their dollar up where it ought to be and all their players insist on being paid in US funds. Eliminate the Canadian teams and they can have their freakin original six back, lock out American and European players, and have the game go back to being all Canadian. The Canadian Hockey League. Of course it'll be played by nothing but old men but hey, better than all these foreigners ruining "Canada's Game" -HckyFght!

their original six back :lol
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
No teams will be eliminated. Bettman wouldn't allow it. If would show a failure on the part of NHL. Remember the biggest reason they expanded was to get those valuable expansion fees. Oh yeah to bring hockey all across America :shakehead

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Kravitch said:
That's ok, I understand that the landscaper was on crack when he was deciding where the arena should be. :)

Seriously, is that the biggest reason NJ has such piss poor attendance numbers? Because there is no reason for fans to not support that team. they are competitive, they work hard, they win...the only thing NJ isn't is flash and dash.

Just curious because when I saw this thread, NJ was the first team I thought of because they've been so successful but they still don't get much fan support.

Kravitch

Winger98 said:
Seriously, is that the biggest reason NJ has such piss poor attendance numbers? Because there is no reason for fans to not support that team. they are competitive, they work hard, they win...the only thing NJ isn't is flash and dash.

Just curious because when I saw this thread, NJ was the first team I thought of because they've been so successful but they still don't get much fan support.

The location of the arena is the only decent reason I have heard why NJ gets crappy attendance. I have been told that nobody really want to travel to a swamp with poor parking locations to see a game. I have not been there nor have a seen alot of photos (If someone could provide me with a few it would be much appreciates), but apperantly the arena is just in a very poor location.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Kravitch said:
The location of the arena is the only decent reason I have heard why NJ gets crappy attendance. I have been told that nobody really want to travel to a swamp with poor parking locations to see a game. I have not been there nor have a seen alot of photos (If someone could provide me with a few it would be much appreciates), but apperantly the arena is just in a very poor location.

I guess I can understand that, but it seems like a weak reason to me. :dunno:

YellHockey*

Kravitch said:
I have been told that nobody really want to travel to a swamp with poor parking locations to see a game. I have not been there nor have a seen alot of photos (If someone could provide me with a few it would be much appreciates), but apperantly the arena is just in a very poor location.

The Meadowlands is surrounded by highways and rivers. I can only imagine what those highways are like at night when they're busy enough during the day.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Devils attendence has gotten significantly lower as ticket prices have risen.

Our Arena is about as old as it gets, and in the middle of nowhere, with no mass transportation.

Yet we still manage to make nearly as much cash as many teams with better attendence. Tells you something.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
DownFromNJ said:
Devils attendence has gotten significantly lower as ticket prices have risen.

Our Arena is about as old as it gets, and in the middle of nowhere, with no mass transportation.

Yet we still manage to make nearly as much cash as many teams with better attendence. Tells you something.

Ya, that you need a new building badly... Any plans for one?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JWI19 said:
No teams will be eliminated.

Right now I don't support contraction. But don't make any mistake, I think the next CBA will determine the future of the current 30-team format. There have been relocations in the past when certain owners couldn't live with that **** anymore but we may be running out of markets.

I don't know if contraction is probable but it IS possible.

The owners need to score a grat victory against the bloodsucking union (highly unlikely) or they will need to change the way they operate as a league. And who can afford to.

JWI19 said:
Bettman wouldn't allow it.

Bettman does not run the NHL. Contrary to ever popular belief.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Ya, that you need a new building badly... Any plans for one?

Yep. Newark approved it. Problem is, the lockout could change their plans.

But it is set to go when the NHL's future is certain.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
DownFromNJ said:
Yep. Newark approved it. Problem is, the lockout could change their plans.

But it is set to go when the NHL's future is certain.

Cool... NJ is given immunity...

I think that if a team had to be voted off the island, make it Carolina...

I can see hockey really taking off in Florida, in time...

adurn

Dec 22, 2003
Anaheim
Carolina
New Jersey
1 of Tampa or Florida(1 hockey team in Florida is a bit much, but TWO?)

About the Devils - the arena location is one reason for low attendance, but another is how many other teams are located close to Jersey. Since they are a somewhat new franchise(started in '82), most of the people in the area were already Flyers, Rangers, or Islander fans.

It takes a lot for a fan to switch their loyalty to another team. Kids growing up usually liked the team their parents rooted for, so most Devils fans were probably the first person in their family to take up hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->