If you were GM picking class of '03 now

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Knighttown said:
Ademittedly, I was a little hard on the Kings, (probably b/c I'm an Oil fan), as they put themselves in position to draft a nucleus that could have made them a contender for a decade. Bottom line, I think they could have done better. Don't pay too much attention to the letters for people at the top or bottom of the first round. Someone like Boyle and Tambellini, who I had falling only slightly, to the top of round two, automatically got F's for falling to NR. Just a silly and arbitrary system. With the improvement of Bergeron, Weber and company, a few first rounders had to be knocked out and they were my picks. Others might be Eaves, Pouliot, Belle etc..

As for Brown, I don't have him falling that far, just to 18. I just happen to like guys like Perry, Getzlaf and Parise more.
Brown at 18.... Once again go back to page 2 and read what i wrote about what others have been posting. This is completely a joke how badly the Kings are being put down this draft when on draft day they were considered one of the top 5 draft pickers.....

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm glad some of you still have Burns in the top 20. If he was a defenseman coming out in 03, I think he would've been picked right around or a tad higher than he was. The thing that dragged him down was the fact they switched him to forward and he was a huge project. I'm so glad Minnesota moved him back to defense and I think he would have requested it if possible.

Who doesn't like a smooth skating, physical defenseman that has the mentality of a forward?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Patty Ice XXX said:
And if he wasn't on the Bruins, you wouldn't be riding his nuts this hard.

When did it become a moderators job to post this type of nonsense?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
Why would "everyone have him listed at #1" when Zherdev produced only 5 points less in 15 less games during his rookie year, and is widely regarded as having a much higher upside? More overrating from the WJCs.

Because there is more to hockey than just the numbers.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Bruwinz37 said:
Agreed yet i have to admit to what he said WJC's players get so overrated when doing good there.... Yet i have to agree that Zherdev is the better player then Bergeron yet Bergeron was a great steal and surelly gonna be a great player

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Bruwinz37 said:

Yes there is. For instance, by watching them play, I can say that Nikolai Zherdev is a far more talented player than Patrice Bergeron. Every GM and scout in the NHL probably shares that opinion.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Epsilon said:
Yes there is. For instance, by watching them play, I can say that Nikolai Zherdev is a far more talented player than Patrice Bergeron. Every GM and scout in the NHL probably shares that opinion.

And I would say Bergeron is a much mroe complete, all around player than Zherdev..and every scout and GM probably shares that opinion.

Vic Rattlehead*

Staal will have more points, but Bergeron will be the more complete player, IMO.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
And I would say Bergeron is a much mroe complete, all around player than Zherdev..and every scout and GM probably shares that opinion.

2nd line centers typically won't get picked over 1st line scoring wingers with superstar potential. Did Steven Weiss go ahead of Ilya Kovalchuk? Didn't think so.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Epsilon said:
2nd line centers typically won't get picked over 1st line scoring wingers with superstar potential. Did Steven Weiss go ahead of Ilya Kovalchuk? Didn't think so.

I wouldn't compare Zherdev to Ilya for top end potential. Plus, there has been a big development since being drafted. Bergeron is not the same player wince being drafted. Players do progress, whiel some don't. Draft position isn't the end all.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Simply put, I can't imagine that Bergeron has shown anyone enough to think about picking him ahead of Zherdev. It's not like one of them had some super season while the other one flamed out. In fact, Zherdev's numbers this season are quite a bit more impressive than Bergeron's, given that he played in a tougher, more defensive league, with a lot more NHL players, and was among the league leaders.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
1. Zherdev (+3)
2. Staal (E)
3. Phaneuf (+6)
4. Carter (+7)
5. Suter (+2)
6. Bergeron (+39)
7. Fleury (-6)
8. Horton (-5)
9. Vanek (-4)
10. Brown (+3)
11. Getzlaf (+8)
12. Parise (+5)
13. Coburn (-5)
14. Stuart (+7)
15. Richards (+9)
16. Kesler (+7)
17. Michalek (-11)
18. Weber (+31)
19. Burns (+1)
20. Perry (+8)
21. Fehr (-3)
22. Kostitsyn (-12)
23. O' Sullivan (+33)
24. Seabrooke (-10)
25. Pouliot (-3)
26. Bernier (-10)
27. Fritsche (+19)
28. Carle (+19)
29. Stewart (-4)
30. Tambellini (-3)

HM: Eaves/Stone/Eriksson

X0ssbar

Epsilon said:
Simply put, I can't imagine that Bergeron has shown anyone enough to think about picking him ahead of Zherdev. It's not like one of them had some super season while the other one flamed out. In fact, Zherdev's numbers this season are quite a bit more impressive than Bergeron's, given that he played in a tougher, more defensive league, with a lot more NHL players, and was among the league leaders.

I would also add that he was under a great deal of off-the ice pressure considering the way he left Russia. This was very evident when his production on the ice was nearly at a point per game pace after his arbitration case was decided and he was allowed to stay and play in the NHL. Top it off with the fact the he didn't have an NHL training camp and I think his performace last year under those circumstances was pretty amazing.

Not to take anything away from Bergeron, he will be a heckuva player but Zherdev has superstar written all over him. Homersim aside, I think this kid can safely be put in the same catergory as a Kovalchuk. Not quite the goal scorer Kovalchuk is but he certainly posseses the same offensive flaire. I can't wait to see what he can do in a full NHL season.

McSorley 33

Feb 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, Ca
AnThGrt said:
Brown at 18.... Once again go back to page 2 and read what i wrote about what others have been posting. This is completely a joke how badly the Kings are being put down this draft when on draft day they were considered one of the top 5 draft pickers.....

:clap: :kings

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
:shakehead I hope your not driving (if your old enough to) that is the second most ridiculous comment I've read. :biglaugh:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Patty Ice XXX said:
Hurts because you know it's the truth.

I do know the truth and Patrice Bergeron is a better hockey player. The other truth is that you are about as mature as a 5 year old and couldnt formulate a solid argument to back up your point.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
AnThGrt said:
Agreed yet i have to admit to what he said WJC's players get so overrated when doing good there.... Yet i have to agree that Zherdev is the better player then Bergeron yet Bergeron was a great steal and surelly gonna be a great player

Thanks for being one of the mature few who at least have the decency to not base their arguments on namecalling and/or emoticons like the other know it alls around here.

I dont doubt that Zherdev has more tools. I actually think he, along with Jeff Carter, Patrice Bergeron and Dion Phaneuf will be the top players from that draft. My original point is that people (like Patty Ice Super Duper Mod) get so used to ball washing the elite prospects at draft time they dont have the ability to realize that a player drafted in a later round could surprise and end up being a better overall player.

I wont waste my time here anymore as very few of the people in this thread didnt even have an argument to come back at me with so I will just come back to remind them throughout the season that Patrice Bergeron is the better player than Eric Staal.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
SensGuy said:
Are you doubting Zherdev is more talented than Bergeron?
offensively Zherdev has incredible skills- total package including hockey sense and maturity I'd take Bergeron. Think what you guys will but I can assure you that statement was so far off base and as GeeWally could attest I can back it up. No, 30 GMs and scouts would not take Zherdev over Bergeron. Maybe 30 posters who rely on Hockey Guides and highlight films. I hate to sound like I'm putting down Zherdev because he is going to be an offensive star; what I'm putting down as that ridiculous statment. Its a joke. I have no knowledge what the final vote would be but I would lay odds you'd be suprised at the outcome.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
You got to be kidding about the proven thing..Stall has played ONE full season and had 31 points..and all of a sudden that is considered "proven" in NHl standards? Zherdev played 57 games and is proven as well? Until ANY of these players play 3-5 full seasons and START making real impacts on a top line level...I wouldn't consider ANY of them proven.

Phaneuf has never played anything higher level than CHL hockey. Both Staal and Zherdev have both shown that not only can they play and contribute at the NHL level, but also that they can dominate in lower leagues that are still better than any Phaneuf has played in. Staal put up a point-per-game pace in the AHL, while Zherdev was one of the top 5 scorers in the RSL. Both leagues were full of NHL-level talent this season as well.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
DKH said:
:shakehead I hope your not driving (if your old enough to) that is the second most ridiculous comment I've read. :biglaugh:

I might be the one not getting your joke? But if you're suggesting that Zherdev isnt the most talented of the 2, you're the one who might want to not drive.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
DKH said:
offensively Zherdev has incredible skills- total package including hockey sense and maturity I'd take Bergeron. Think what you guys will but I can assure you that statement was so far off base and as GeeWally could attest I can back it up. No, 30 GMs and scouts would not take Zherdev over Bergeron. Maybe 30 posters who rely on Hockey Guides and highlight films. I hate to sound like I'm putting down Zherdev because he is going to be an offensive star; what I'm putting down as that ridiculous statment. Its a joke. I have no knowledge what the final vote would be but I would lay odds you'd be suprised at the outcome.

Find me one GM or scout that had Bergeron further ahead on their draft board than Zherdev. The fact that nearly every team in the NHL passed on him at least once, most of them several times, makes it fairly clear that no one regarded him that highly at the time. And I highly doubt anything has changed since then.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Anksun said:
I might be the one not getting your joke? But if you're suggesting that Zherdev isnt the most talented of the 2, you're the one who might want to not drive.
no argument from me- I've read your posts and your the expert here. Zherdev's the next Richard Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->