If you was a GM, who was your steal this draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm totally happy with Martin Vagner slipping to the 9th round. Despite what his current state of development is, he's a fantastic risk considering that he had the skill to once be taking in the first round of a draft. Even if he doesn't work out, how many 9th rounders do? I'm just excited that Carolina got a first day talent in the 9th round.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Caniacforever said:
I'm totally happy with Martin Vagner slipping to the 9th round. Despite what his current state of development is, he's a fantastic risk considering that he had the skill to once be taking in the first round of a draft.

That's a way to put it. I prefer to remember many of us said at the time he was unworthy of being a first rounder.

In a way, you are perfectly right. A team believed in him as a 1st round guy. Lots of people liked him a lot too, including certain scouting agencies who rated him pretty high.

But, lots of people thought back then he should be a second round selection, not first. So take it with a grain of salt but I saw this kid play back then and no, he never had the talent to be selected first round. Ever.

In the 9th round this year? I think it is a very solid selection if the Hurricanes list was devoid of potential breakout raw kids. I expected him to go around 7th-8th round. But this is always a case of drafting list. When your list gets thin, you take him. It's as simple as that.

Low upside but still reasonable.

I would be even more comfortable with the selection if his heart was at the right place. Because he would be perfect as a career AHLer then. But I usually prefer AHLer who are very hungry, can sustain this lifestyle and especially, who can teach the bright young kids what it takes to get a shot (sacrifices, nutrition, training, character).

He has none of that.

He remains a good pick there. I think he is a talented young man. I can tell you, he is underrated as far as his physical capabilities. Once in a while, he can absolutely rock you. But then he will play soft. This is why so many scouting reports were all over the map with him. "Not physical enough" "Physical" "Very physical".

The truth is somewhere in between. He has decent mobility but lalcks some immediate quickness. People get all mixed up with him, calling him a stay-at-home or a possible quarterback. Again, bull****. He's a two-way guy, but mediocre as far as upside. Meaning, I can't see him man a *good* powerplay and I can't see him being used to shut down top lines.

And what I especially don't like is that when he reminds me of certain NHLers, it's always for the bad sides. He's got certain negative traits of Kubina for instance, but not the positives.

He's very underwhelming but people liked him I think, because he could do a little of everything. Some hitting, some puck carrying, a solid shot from the point with decent power, some defensive awareness.

He was in an excellent Q team back then. There was lots of momentum and this team was well coached. Team performance can boost your rating up and down (which is why even the worse crap out of Red Deer usually ends up being drafted).

Note that this description above aptly applies to Michal Sersen as well. Out from the Q this year, and drafted much later than first round. Sorry, not trying to diss Vagner. I haven't followed the 04s very well so I am glad to be able to talk about one guy more in depth :)

With some development he could pan out. It's not like the Canes paid through the nose to get him either.

SwOOsh*

Caniacforever said:
I'm totally happy with Martin Vagner slipping to the 9th round. Despite what his current state of development is, he's a fantastic risk considering that he had the skill to once be taking in the first round of a draft. Even if he doesn't work out, how many 9th rounders do? I'm just excited that Carolina got a first day talent in the 9th round.

Yeah I think it was worth the risk also, but his play in the Memorial Cup this year was terrible, hopefully he can turn his career around.

Anyone know if Patrick Jarrette was selected?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well there are three obvious ones for me, and then a few more obscure types.

Rob Schremp - Edmonton is the absolutely best situation for him to go to. They play an up tempo style and they lack that franchise offensive center. I truly think that if Schremp really impresses in camp, they'll keep him simply because of the fact he can supply some huge offense. And what better place for Schremp to learn to play hard and to play defense, from the best in the biz.

Wes O Neill - The Isles really got a steal with O Neill. There are many reports that O Neill played the vast majority of the year with a serious shoulder injury. And I mean, thats a legitimate excuse for an off year. O Neill is very talented, and I think that he'll prove to be a real steal for the Isles.

Evan Mcgrath - The Wings do know how to get those mid round draft gems. Its because they take gambles on offensive players who have some downfalls, whether it be Zetterberg or Datsyuk or even Hudler. Mcgrath is a top 10 offensive talent for this draft, no question. He's got top end hands, acceleration, stickhandling skills. And in his first year, he was an awesome two way player, would sacrifice himself to make the play. Just an overall VERY smart player. But last year, not sure what the hell was going on. He became a completely one dimensional player, became soft and lazy. He actually regressed for some reason. Next year is a big test though, the Rangers overagers who supplied a lot of offense are gone next year, as is Kanko and hell maybe even Richards. So Mcgrath has to step up next year. I think he'll bounce back and make Detroit look smart. All their picks do that...lol so whats another.

A few more obscure ones...

Josh Disher - The Devils selected him in the 6th round and if anyone knows what they are doing its Conte and the Devils. Disher was the most worked goaltender in the OHL this season, his rookie campaign in the OHL. He went from complete unknown to a goalie who kept improving as the season went along. He was the absolute main reason that Erie had such a strong and surprising year. He was such a workhorse for them and he's very quick, butterfly goalie. He's got a few flaws, but his rate of improvement was massive this year. Mckeens is another scouting company that backs me up on this one, he's a real keeper if he continues to improve.

Patrick Jarrett - to whoever decides to invite Jarrett to their camp this year, after he was undrafted this time through. Jarrett has got a lot of talent, but more importantly, hes got a lot of heart. He had a really successful bounce back season last year and is a really solid player. I'm totally surprised no one picked him up in the draft, but I guess they figure they can just try and sign him afterwards or invite him to camp. Either way people, don't give up on him yet, I know a lot of Nashville fans were very disappointed that they couldnt get him signed to a contract.

meatfreak

Jun 24, 2004
tustin
tukonen again - i'm still steamed the ducks didn't pick him up, but at least my 2nd favorite team did

meszaros and schremp

oh and who could forget - blake wheeler :joker:

guitaraholic*

It can be reasonably argued that the Blues got 'steals' with every single one of their first 3 round picks. NOBODY expected Schwarz to fall into their laps. Many, many folks had Alexandrov as a top 30 pick and the Blues got him in the 3rd round(!) and I've seen two reputable sources listing Soderberg as a first round talent as well. A great Kekalainen draft.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
meatfreak said:
tukonen again - i'm still steamed the ducks didn't pick him up, but at least my 2nd favorite team did

meszaros and schremp

oh and who could forget - blake wheeler :joker:

I have a hard time questioning the second best player to ever to play the game. Yes, he could have traded down, but obviously he saw enough in Wheeler to take him number five. Who am I to judge?

leafaholix*

The Leafs may have a steal with...

Dimitri Vorobiev in the 5th
Robbie Earl in the 6th

I really like Vorobiev, he was one of the better players left after day 1.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm so excited about the Sens getting Meszaros at 23. Some people considered him a top 10 pick and for him to fall that far is great for the Sens. They really lacked a potential Top 3 defenseman in their system. Getting Lyamin in round 2 was great as well.

I thought for sure the Rangers would take Schremp but Edmonton will be great for him.

Wes O'Neill falling to the 4th round is insane.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Round for Round steals IMO

Round 1 - 25th ROB SCHREMP
Round 2 - 58th KIRILL LYAMIN
Round 3 - 66th SAMI LEPISTO
Round 4 - 115th WES O'NEILL
Round 5 - 157th DIMITRI VOROBIEV
Round 6 - 189th JULIEN ELLIS-PLANTE
Round 7 - 200th MATT SCHNEIDER
Round 8 - 229th ERIC HUNTER
Round 9 - 285th PIERCE NORTON

the biggest surprise of the draft is gotta be LA's 8th round (238th overall) selection; YUTAKA FUKUFUJI, played (goal) last season with the Japanese National team - born 9/17/1982 in Tokyo, Japan - 6'1 & 160 lbs

http://www.maru-design.com/2003fuku.html
http://www.asian-athlete.com/AthleteDisplayForm.aspx?ID=299

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad