If you read the book THE HOT LINE, what were some things that surprised you?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Just wondering if any hockey fans on HFBoards have read the book ‘The Hot Line’ by Geoff Kirbyson and what your thoughts were once you finished it. I found it to be a very good read and learned many interesting things about the Jets that occurred during the WHA years and beyond that I wasn’t aware of. One of the tidbits that I found most interesting was comments by other players on the team (as well as any new players that joined the team during that time) was how hard the Hot Line practiced. They apparently worked so hard during practice that the games would seem easier by comparison. Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson set the tone for the other players to work hard during practice as well. They were self-driven to be the best. It wasn’t the coaches who were demanding of the players but rather the Jets players themselves. I always knew the Jets of that era changed the way the game was played with their hybrid European/North American style and that they had some of the most skilled players in the world but at the time I didn’t realize how much work the players themselves put into their team development. I was fortunate to have attended many games during that era but after reading the book I wish I would have taken in even more games. I think many of us at the time took them for granted and didn’t realize just how special that team was as well as the great hockey we were watching here in Winnipeg.

I sure wish the book would be mandatory reading by our Jets players of today. Not only would they get a better idea of how much the Winnipeg Jets team means to the fans here but I think it could help them get inspired to become that self-driven team from years ago instead of just relying on Paul Maurice and the coaching staff to get the best performance out of them. I think we’re getting to the point of having enough skilled players on the team to achieve so much more but if the players themselves would also commit to becoming the hardest working team like we had with Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson, who knows what they could achieve. It was also refreshing to learn that players wanted the opportunity to play for the Jets rather than how we now always hear about players that don’t want to come here because of the cold weather and playing in a fishbowl. Perhaps it’s just a different era nowadays and what transpired in the past can’t be replicated but I sure enjoyed reading the book as it helped me appreciate even more what we once had and how well the Jets represented Winnipeg on the world stage.

27885_the_hot_line_cover_HR-e1471366312761.jpg

:jets

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I haven't read it but would like to. Then I'm sure my dad would love to read it too.

All I know is that the 2017-18 Jets will be the cities most skilled hockey team since these glory days.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
If you want more responses you could try "If you read a book, what were some things that surprised you?"

Sorry couldn't resist ...

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I will have to look for it. Meanwhile, you should read "The Rebel League" a book written about the WHA. A must read for Jets fans, and has a lot about the hot line.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I will have to look for it. Meanwhile, you should read "The Rebel League" a book written about the WHA. A must read for Jets fans, and has a lot about the hot line.

51j5PEMU8rL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read this one and from the bits about the WHA it sounds like it was a pretty crazy operation!

I will definitely check out Rebel League

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I haven't read it but would like to. Then I'm sure my dad would love to read it too.

All I know is that the 2017-18 Jets will be the cities most skilled hockey team since these glory days.

Yes, I agree with you regarding the 2017-18 edition of the Jets. The skill level is getting right up there and I'm looking forward to seeing what the team will achieve this season. I would really like to see the line of Scheifele, Laine and Ehlers kept together as they may have the ability to form a current version of the famed Hot Line. In regards to the book, I'm sure you would enjoy it as it would give you a good background to the original franchise and why the name 'Winnipeg Jets' means so much to us that followed the team from those early years. I'm not sure how old your dad is but it may rekindle some fond memories for him as well.

If you want more responses you could try "If you read a book, what were some things that surprised you?"

Sorry couldn't resist ...

That's actually quite funny. I was starting to wonder about starting the thread in the first place as it took a while before there was even one reply. However, I do know there are lots of Jets fans out there and I am pretty sure that if they get their hands on a copy they would really enjoy it. On the other hand maybe I'm just getting to be part of an older generation now and those days don't mean much to the younger Jets fans. I don't mean that in a bad way as I was a teenager when I first started watching the Jets and probably didn't give much thought to hockey that occurred a few decades earlier either.

This book is sitting on my desk but I haven't had the time to read it yet.

I'm glad that you got a copy of the book and I'm quite sure you'll find it very interesting. I'm not sure how old you are and whether you had the opportunity to see the Hot Line in person but even if you're younger I think you'll enjoy reading how it was our own Winnipeg Jets that transformed the way the game would later be played in the NHL. The Jets team of that era was truly a franchise like no other and we have a rich hockey tradition in Winnipeg in spite of the fact that many individuals outside our market give no thought to what occurred here previously.

I have indeed read 'The Rebel League' and really enjoyed it. Even though I did grow up watching the WHA in person, I learned many things that I was unaware of while reading the book. I did like that there was a lot about the Hot Line but I also liked reading about the Howe family signing with Houston as well as stories about other teams and players. Sometimes it's easy to get focused on ones own team and not give much thought to other teams and reading this book gave me an appreciation for the league as a whole and the efforts to sustain it for as long as it was around. In regards to 'The Hot Line' book, I know that you now live in Alberta and although I'm not sure of your exact location, the book can be purchased at Chapters bookstores in Calgary. If they don't have the book in stock I'm sure they could obtain it for you from a Chapters in Winnipeg.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad