wheeler
boyd
bolland
lisin
dubnyk

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Basing on potential your list is fine but, for example, I still wouldn't take Schremp ahead of Chipchura. Same with some other guys, that undoubtedly have better offensive potential then Kyle. But without big gritty center and a leader of his caliber in the organisation, I would feel like without an arm and a leg. The only guy I would consider taking ahead of him (not counting those superstar kids taken early of course) would be Meszaros. And I still would feel uncofortable.

OilerOlli*

Don't understand why Radulov should be in the first group and Schremp in the 3rd...
Would put both in the 2nd group.
And Stafford, Bolland and Chipchure are a little bit too low.

OilerOlli*

Something like that:

1-5 (no order)
ovechkin
malkin
barker
meszaros
olesz

6-10 (no order)
tukonen
schremp
montoya
radulov
ladd

11-15 (no order)
picard
zajac
stafford
nokelainen
smid

16-20 (no order)
chipchura
korpikoski
wolski
pogge
bolland

21-30 (no order)
bourque
kaspar
comeau
voloshenko
thelen
wheeler
boyd
schwarz
lisin
dubnyk

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Color@do @v@l@nche said:
Wolski should be higher, at least over Korpikoski.

Any reason aside that he's your team's prospect? I've seen Korpikoski in this year's WJC and he was veeery good. Fast, shifty, passionate, defensively responsible and wasn't affraid to shoot. I've seen Wolski only in the preseason but again why it's so obvious that he should be ahead of Korpikoski?

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Definetly Korpeido should have been taken top 15 in the draft. Definetly gonna be a top line winger.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Kafka said:
No Campoli even at the end of round 1?

Nah I would probably take Campoli in the 2nd round maybe 3rd round. He was an overager during this draft. A lot of the guys taken ahead of him in the 1st and 2nd rounds will surpass him by the time they are the same age.

However, no doubt that it was a steal for the Isles to grab him that late.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
underscore_boy said:
who would you take in the top 30 picks? i would go with:

11-15 (no order)
picard
zajac
bourque
nokelainen
schremp

Probably a little high for Bourque, maybe somewhere between 25-30 or early 2nd (31 - 35)

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Cush said:
Probably a little high for Bourque, maybe somewhere between 25-30 or early 2nd (31 - 35)

Bourque went 33rd overall in 2004 and in retrospect I think that was to high. I watched this kid at the WJC and besides the Norway game he was useless. I still can not figure out why he was on the point during the US power-plays. He doesn't do anything great - he's small, he's not particularly fast, he sometimes play with an edge but not consistently enough be say he's an agitator. I just can't see this kid playing in the NHL for an extended period.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i find it somewhat interesting that people seem to now be pretty fine with where montoya was taken in that draft and that most people seem to be putting him as the best goalie out of that draft so far.

seems like there were lots of calls of "overrated" and people saying that schwarz or dubnyk were better

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Levitate said:
i find it somewhat interesting that people seem to now be pretty fine with where montoya was taken in that draft and that most people seem to be putting him as the best goalie out of that draft so far.

seems like there were lots of calls of "overrated" and people saying that schwarz or dubnyk were better

Im still not sold on Montoya and with Lundqvist already in NY it doesnt look a great pick for the rangers.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What's wrong with Thelen? His stock did drop but his potential is through the roof. He's actually starting to play better in the W and there was a good interview about his screw ups at Mich...

And Voloshenko should be higher. He's a good kid and has proven that his skating is not a problem anymore.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
J17ster said:
Im still not sold on Montoya and with Lundqvist already in NY it doesnt look a great pick for the rangers.
if there were no trades in the NHL I would agree

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Archijerej said:
Any reason aside that he's your team's prospect? I've seen Korpikoski in this year's WJC and he was veeery good. Fast, shifty, passionate, defensively responsible and wasn't affraid to shoot. I've seen Wolski only in the preseason but again why it's so obvious that he should be ahead of Korpikoski?

I have seen many times Korpikoski this year and he hasn't impressed me at all. :(

Wolski played already in NHL and had 6 points in 9 games. That's more than Korpikoski has done in Sm-league in 32 games. I don't think that Korpikoski will be as good offensive player as Wolski, but he's definately better defensively, but Wolski is working on it. I'd say Wolski will put up better offensive numbers over his career and Korpiskoski will be better defensively.I see more upside in Wolski. Korpikoski just looks like 3-4 liner. Wolski other hand 1-2 liner. But you never know for sure about prospects, maybe next year he puts up excellent numbers in sm-league(korpikoski).

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Color@do @v@l@nche said:
I have seen many times Korpikoski this year and he hasn't impressed me at all. :(

Wolski played already in NHL and had 6 points in 9 games. That's more than Korpikoski has done in Sm-league in 32 games. I don't think that Korpikoski will be as good offensive player as Wolski, but he's definately better defensively, but Wolski is working on it. I'd say Wolski will put up better offensive numbers over his career and Korpiskoski will be better defensively.I see more upside in Wolski. Korpikoski just looks like 3-4 liner. Wolski other hand 1-2 liner. But you never know for sure about prospects, maybe next year he puts up excellent numbers in sm-league(korpikoski).

I cannot agree here. Korpikoski is clearly an offensive forward and with his kind of skills, he can blossom in the NHL like Prucha, Svatos, J.Jokinnen. He's the same kind of player (stilistically) and his defensive game is a bonus. He reminds me of Koivu alot, except he's looking more like a scorer. His SM Liga numbers may be decieving, he probably is not getting lots of ice time there.
Wolski is certainly an interesting prospect. His size mixed with hands means alot of potential there. But based on what I saw (not very much I admit) I wouldn't say that one is clearly ahead of another.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Archijerej said:
I cannot agree here. Korpikoski is clearly an offensive forward and with his kind of skills, he can blossom in the NHL like Prucha, Svatos, J.Jokinnen. He's the same kind of player (stilistically) and his defensive game is a bonus. He reminds me of Koivu alot, except he's looking more like a scorer. His SM Liga numbers may be decieving, he probably is not getting lots of ice time there.
You are talking about how good Korpikoski is playing in Finland to guy from Finland :D

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Kaizer said:
You are talking about how good Korpikoski is playing in Finland to guy from Finland :D

Yeah? Haha, didn't know ;) . I guess I should rely on his opinions more, but still, I like Lauri.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think Wheeler was taken a bit high. He is no Heatley first of all. But even Heatley began to drop in re-drafts. He was not dominating the NCAA like a number 2 drafted player should. And he was not in the NHL. So don't give up on Wheeler and Chucko just yet. Chucko got worlds better in one year. And Wheeler put on close to 30 pounds this last year. If a guy is tagged as a project. Dont exept to be impressed with him right away.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
i don't want to get into a big argument about it (because I haven’t seen Kopikoski play in Finland) but I think the Petr Prucha experience should show us that European production isn't always the best indicator of NHL potential. If Lauri can come to North America (WJC) and stand out against his peers on the small ice sheet, then I'm less concerned that he isn't scoring in the veteran dominated Finnish league.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
AnThGrt said:
Care to explain your reason? Last I saw Tukonen was doing great and was 2nd in WJC scoring

Yeah and Nokelainen was in the NHL.

Last year when Nokelainen WAS in the tournament, he was Finland's best player. Neither Tukonen or Korpikoski were among the top three Finns. Most Finnish and NHL observers agree that Nokelainen is the best Finn from the '04 draft class and it's hard to argue since he looks very good with the Islanders prior to his knee injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->