If you had the choice...

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
If you had the choice of where the Coyotes could relocate, but...

Scenario #1 - Yotes relocate to Houston, and stay in the Western Conference thus keeping the Wings in the Eastern Conference.

Scenario #2 - Yotes relocate to Quebec City, and thus causing a conference imbalance, and then seeing the Wings being moved back into the Western Conference (back to our old stomping grounds seeing numerous games against the Blackhawks/Blues/Avs).

Opinions - ideas?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wings aren't good enough to warrant staying up late to watch all those 10:30 ET starts. No way can they go back to the west.

Reactions: hkydave04

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't see much value in putting a team in Quebec, there are just a lot better markets for the league to target.
I guess it depends how you define 'better market'.

QC would be a carbon copy of Winnipeg - sell outs on a nightly basis...Could the same be said for Houston after the novelty wears off?

I get the whole market size, etc, but at the end of the fiscal year - would a team in Houston be in the black, or red?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would rather Quebec gets a hockey team than Houston, but if the side effect is moving Detroit back to the Western Conference, then forget it. They're in the Eastern Time Zone, and I have zero interest in all those extra late starts or long road trips.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I would rather Quebec gets a hockey team than Houston, but if the side effect is moving Detroit back to the Western Conference, then forget it. They're in the Eastern Time Zone, and I have zero interest in all those extra late starts or long road trips.
An original 6 team like Detroit shouldn't be first on the list to go back to the west regardless if we were last to come over here. We were one of the first to be in the league.

Reactions: hkydave04

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Due to my experience with QC kids on chel, I say absolutely do not give them a team.
:laugh:
An original 6 team like Detroit shouldn't be first on the list to go back to the west regardless if we were last to come over here. We were one of the first to be in the league.
I would agree, and send Columbus packing to the Western Conference, BUT playing the 'devils advocate' I chose Detroit as the team that would potentially go west since for many seasons we were there, and developed rivalries with many Western Conference teams.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess it depends how you define 'better market'.

QC would be a carbon copy of Winnipeg - sell outs on a nightly basis...Could the same be said for Houston after the novelty wears off?

I get the whole market size, etc, but at the end of the fiscal year - would a team in Houston be in the black, or red?

The league already makes a tremendous amount of money off of Quebec City. They are a good leverage threat for any eastern conference relocation team. Montreal does well enough to cover the market however and I think the other owners will protect Molson's interests behind closed doors. Jacobs doesn't want to lose some of what he has gained in the Maritimes, New Brunswick and that area that they have taken the fans that counter culture Montreal. I just don't see enough benefit. Even if I wanted to bring back an old market I see more promise in Hartford than Quebec City....

There benefit has to be more than what it currently looks like. I just don't see enough. Heck if we go small market I am more willing to give a team to Omaha if Buffett could be persuaded.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I don't mind the Wings in the East. It's better for travel. Move Columbus to the West instead.

Quebec City should absolutely have a team over Houston. Houston is not a hockey market and recently the city was underwater. Hardly an appealing place for the future. Also, look at all the empty seats the Stars have every night and keep in mind they've won a Cup and have been in Dallas a long time now. Another thing to consider is how many empty seats the Rockets always seem to have when they're on TV. Why would hockey get better attendance there?

Finally, imagine a team wearing those beautiful blue Nordiques jerseys again.

Reactions: FMichael

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I don't mind the Wings in the East. It's better for travel. Move Columbus to the West instead.

Quebec City should absolutely have a team over Houston. Houston is not a hockey market and recently the city was underwater. Hardly an appealing place for the future. Also, look at all the empty seats the Stars have every night and keep in mind they've won a Cup and have been in Dallas a long time now. Another thing to consider is how many empty seats the Rockets always seem to have when they're on TV. Why would hockey get better attendance there?

I think Houston gets a Team before Quebec City does...Have family and friends who live in the Houston area and they all say Hockey would thrive there and I agree..the Population there is large and there’s a lot of Northern Transplants there

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

This right here...Houston - while a massive market - is a gamble that the league might be willing to take.

QC is almost certain to make $$$ - however Jeremy Jacobs, and possibly a good portion of the BoG feel it's not worth going back there any time soon - which to be honest is a shame.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I think Houston gets a Team before Quebec City does...Have family and friends who live in the Houston area and they all say Hockey would thrive there and I agree..the Population there is large and there’s a lot of Northern Transplants there
The same had been said about Phoenix...

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
They should have just relocated the Coyotes to Seattle. We have too many teams as is and Bettman & Co. have been watering the league down with all these extra teams. The Yotes continue to be one of the biggest jokes in the league when it comes to revenue and attendance too.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I disagree completely about watered down talent. Teams have more actual talent on every roster than ever before. 32 teams is a good amount, just relocate a couple and it's all good.

In a perfect world the Blue Jackets make the move to the Western Conference.
For who? Wings fans? They're an eastern time zone team, they don't like 10:30 start times as much as we don't.

Reactions: VikingAv

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
They should have just relocated the Coyotes to Seattle. We have too many teams as is and Bettman & Co. have been watering the league down with all these extra teams. The Yotes continue to be one of the biggest jokes in the league when it comes to revenue and attendance too.
Agreed to the bold.

That ship has sailed though...Seattle gets the nod as the 32nd franchise, and the Yotes continue to exist in the desert - for now.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I disagree completely about watered down talent. Teams have more actual talent on every roster than ever before. 32 teams is a good amount, just relocate a couple and it's all good.

For who? Wings fans? They're an eastern time zone team, they don't like 10:30 start times as much as we don't.
By no means am I saying that the Jackets would love making the move back to the west, and it's fan base wouldn't as well.

Keep in mind this is all hypothetical banter to break up the daily monotony...As I stated from the start - would anyone here tolerate/accept the Wings going west if the Yotes were to move to QC.

To be honest - it wouldn't bother me...Being a fan since '84 I grew accustomed to the Wings being in the Western Conference, and enjoyed the rivalries with Chicago, St.Louis, and of course Colorado.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad