If you don't have the Summit Series '72 DVD yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
I'm not aware of the Habs-Isles game but the only game that exists from the 1977 Finals is Game 4. The CBC, Molsons, NHL do not have any of the other games.
They were all part of the hundreds of games from the 1970's that a CBC employee erased some years ago.

Knowing the way government-run businesses run in this country, I bet that employee probably got a promotion.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
I'm not aware of the Habs-Isles game but the only game that exists from the 1977 Finals is Game 4. The CBC, Molsons, NHL do not have any of the other games.
They were all part of the hundreds of games from the 1970's that a CBC employee erased some years ago.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What about Radio-Canada?
What about the Boston station? (last hope - please say something positive Mr. CH)

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005

I've checked with Radio-Canada and they don't seem to have much.
WSBK in Boston claims they extracted hi-lites from the games, then discarded the games. They are your only hope.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Cbc

His name is MacDonald and he is retired from the CBC now. He isn't remembered fondly at all. You will find that most of the archivists and librarians in places with film collections are simply the wrong people for those jobs.

reckoning said:
Knowing the way government-run businesses run in this country, I bet that employee probably got a promotion.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
His name is MacDonald and he is retired from the CBC now. He isn't remembered fondly at all. You will find that most of the archivists and librarians in places with film collections are simply the wrong people for those jobs.
Can you provide a full name, location and number?

Seriously, Beta recorders were around back then; I would try the players themselves or the teams would also "film" games for scouting purposes Also what about NY tv stations - somebeody MUST still have tapes of the 77 season.

Brian McFarlane told me once that he obtained the rights to the 70's leafs games from a trainer who picked up the tapes out of the garbage when Ballard was throwing them out. He said he has the rights to the ones being shown on Leafs tv?

Ask him for others - like 76-77?

ps. the Isles - Habs game was a 4-3 loss. 1977 semis.

Mr CH - I'm counting on you.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Tapes

There may be other tapes from the 1970's still to be discovered but its increasingly difficult. The TV stations give the same standard answer - same with the U.S. networks. The teams did film their games for scouting purposes but they don't seem to exist or haven't been found. For example, the famous game where Orr scored in o/t to win the cup in 1970 was taped by the trainers but Dan Canney, the Boston trainer does not known what became of them. I could write 50 pages on the quest for finding old hockey footage. I know a lot of ex-players and very few have any tapes. Actually, they are looking for tapes of their careers for the kids to see.

If you know Brian McFarlane then you are in the Toronto area?

I know Brian McFarlane and he doesn't own any 'rights' to any games. He did obtain over 800 cans of 16mm kinescopes of HNIC games from the 1960's from MLG but they were sold to Molsons and you see some of them on the 'Leafs TV' Classic games. Brian only had a few 2" Quad colour cassettes of hockey from the 1970's.

The are a few games from the 70's that still exist and the biggest game was Darryl Sittler's 10-point game but he won't part with it, even to show on Leafs TV.

If you have any questions about the games that Leafs TV show, I can probably answer them for you.

chooch said:
Can you provide a full name, location and number?

Seriously, Beta recorders were around back then; I would try the players themselves or the teams would also "film" games for scouting purposes Also what about NY tv stations - somebeody MUST still have tapes of the 77 season.

Brian McFarlane told me once that he obtained the rights to the 70's leafs games from a trainer who picked up the tapes out of the garbage when Ballard was throwing them out. He said he has the rights to the ones being shown on Leafs tv?

Ask him for others - like 76-77?

ps. the Isles - Habs game was a 4-3 loss. 1977 semis.

Mr CH - I'm counting on you.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
There may be other tapes from the 1970's still to be discovered but its increasingly difficult. The TV stations give the same standard answer - same with the U.S. networks. The teams did film their games for scouting purposes but they don't seem to exist or haven't been found. For example, the famous game where Orr scored in o/t to win the cup in 1970 was taped by the trainers but Dan Canney, the Boston trainer does not known what became of them. I could write 50 pages on the quest for finding old hockey footage. I know a lot of ex-players and very few have any tapes. Actually, they are looking for tapes of their careers for the kids to see.

If you know Brian McFarlane then you are in the Toronto area?

I know Brian McFarlane and he doesn't own any 'rights' to any games. He did obtain over 800 cans of 16mm kinescopes of HNIC games from the 1960's from MLG but they were sold to Molsons and you see some of them on the 'Leafs TV' Classic games. Brian only had a few 2" Quad colour cassettes of hockey from the 1970's.

The are a few games from the 70's that still exist and the biggest game was Darryl Sittler's 10-point game but he won't part with it, even to show on Leafs TV.

If you have any questions about the games that Leafs TV show, I can probably answer them for you.

I ran into Brian at a Front st. restaurant and had a nice chat. I dont subscribe to Leafs TV altho I had it for free on my dish a couple of years back and taped a 1978 3-2 habs leafs game with Dryden and Bowen doing in studio comments. I didnt understand why they would pick that game, but after reading your comments maybe they had little choice. Interesting why brian wont part with the Sittler game -why not? I thought they did show it once on cbc or tsn?

I just dont know whey you cant rent a game from the 76 finals but can rent a blowemup movie starring Franco Columbu ? There is a market - trust me.

I'd join a classic hockey weekly gathering in T.O. I'd read your 50 pages for instance on the search for old games.

Is Dick Irvin any help? Bowman - mind like a steel trap for things like that?

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
chooch said:
Any interest in putting the 79 Challenge Cup on DVD?

Yeah right! And what would be the name/title of the release? We f#####g lost!!!... or something?!

No, seriously; it would be great, but I just don´t see it happening.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Tapes

You just gave me an idea. Dick Irvin didn't say he had any old tapes but I don't think he gave it much thought. But Scotty Bowman once said that he had the 1976 Canada Cup tapes.

Brian McFarlane doesn't have the Sittler 10-point game, Sittler himself has it.

By the way, there are no weekly meetings on old hockey but there is a group that meets every other month in Toronto to talk about hockey and research.

chooch said:
I ran into Brian at a Front st. restaurant and had a nice chat. I dont subscribe to Leafs TV altho I had it for free on my dish a couple of years back and taped a 1978 3-2 habs leafs game with Dryden and Bowen doing in studio comments. I didnt understand why they would pick that game, but after reading your comments maybe they had little choice. Interesting why brian wont part with the Sittler game -why not? I thought they did show it once on cbc or tsn?

I just dont know whey you cant rent a game from the 76 finals but can rent a blowemup movie starring Franco Columbu ? There is a market - trust me.

I'd join a classic hockey weekly gathering in T.O. I'd read your 50 pages for instance on the search for old games.

Is Dick Irvin any help? Bowman - mind like a steel trap for things like that?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I believe I heard a discussion on Mtl. radio last week [Melnick's show on Team990] about how popular a tape or DVD of the 71 playoffs would be. That would be my 1st choice if I filled out my own wish list. They mentionned that there just isn't good enough game copy to produce anything. Too bad, I'd love that one.

CH, Radio Canada had a special on a 7 or 8 years ago,chronicling the 50's Habs. It was shown on a Saturday aft. and I somehow happened upon it and managed to tape most of it. They showed a lot of game footage, much more than just a highlight reel. I would imagine that this must be available thru RadCan ? It was pretty well all game footage with no interviews. Do you know what I'm referring to ?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
1971 Series

The 1971 playoffs are well remembered but the only footage that exists is the 1971 Stanley Cup film - the actual televised games are no where to be found.

The 50's Habs show was great, they used the Stanley Cup films for the footage.

mcphee said:
I believe I heard a discussion on Mtl. radio last week [Melnick's show on Team990] about how popular a tape or DVD of the 71 playoffs would be. That would be my 1st choice if I filled out my own wish list. They mentionned that there just isn't good enough game copy to produce anything. Too bad, I'd love that one.

CH, Radio Canada had a special on a 7 or 8 years ago,chronicling the 50's Habs. It was shown on a Saturday aft. and I somehow happened upon it and managed to tape most of it. They showed a lot of game footage, much more than just a highlight reel. I would imagine that this must be available thru RadCan ? It was pretty well all game footage with no interviews. Do you know what I'm referring to ?

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
The 1971 playoffs are well remembered but the only footage that exists is the 1971 Stanley Cup film - the actual televised games are no where to be found.

The 50's Habs show was great, they used the Stanley Cup films for the footage.

I recall cbs showed a highlight film that summer or fall and the neighborhood kids came over to watch - esposito threw his stick and Frank had a penalty shot on which he took a slapper!.Have you checked a chicago or cbs affiliate for the 71 finals?

Someone is offering a 30 minute package of the 71 Habs Bruins series on the net.

I have a lead on the 75 Habs Scouts game (Lafleurs first 50th goal game). remember it like yesterday.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
71 Finals

CBS says theyhave nothing but they probably didn't even look. WGN says they have nothing as well.

I'm looking through some recently discovered 1970's footage and there are various angles if the Mahovlich slapshot penalty shot.

Let me know some more info on the 71 Habs-Bruins tape as I want to see if its different than mine.

If you could get a copy of a Habs-Scouts game, you would be well rewarded. But, if your 'lead' is a guy named Daniel from Montreal with website 'Hockey Attic', then you have become another victim of his ruse. He doesn't have any Scouts games.

Let me know, hopefully its someone else.

QUOTE=chooch]I recall cbs showed a highlight film that summer or fall and the neighborhood kids came over to watch - esposito threw his stick and Frank had a penalty shot on which he took a slapper!.Have you checked a chicago or cbs affiliate for the 71 finals?

Someone is offering a 30 minute package of the 71 Habs Bruins series on the net.

I have a lead on the 75 Habs Scouts game (Lafleurs first 50th goal game). remember it like yesterday.[/QUOTE]

chooch*

It is Daniel! check your pm's. I will let you know re Habs Bruins tape.

Where did you get further footage of the 70's?

Re Mahov-Espo shot, I recall he said "I tried to blow it by him". One of the all time strangest plays from the moment Tony O slid his stick.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Tapes

Beware of guys like Daniel who will string you along.

I do have some access to old footage.

chooch said:
It is Daniel! check your pm's. I will let you know re Habs Bruins tape.

Where did you get further footage of the 70's?

Re Mahov-Espo shot, I recall he said "I tried to blow it by him". One of the all time strangest plays from the moment Tony O slid his stick.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
Beware of guys like Daniel who will string you along.

I do have some access to old footage.

Post 44 of the Best team not to win thread:
Moneyp:
"Chiller: Read it and weep. The entire footage likely ain't available. Before the advent of VHS, most television stations destroyed game film rather than store it. The 1971 Montreal-Boston series has thankfully been preserved. I have most of it stored away on VHS (transferred from half-inch reel to reel, believe it or not). I hope to transfer it to DVD soon."

What do you think, CH? Were you aware of this?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
71 Series

I know he is 100 per cent lying.

For one thing, if he had the footage, he would have tried selling it to the networks.
Secondly, the games would have been preserved in 16mm Kinescopes in Canada in 1971 and in the States on 2" Quads
Thirdly, there are no 1/2 " "reels" - they are cassettes.
TV stations never stored anything on vhs after vhs came in. That is really laughable.
He really has no clue at all.

I remembered when he was pulling the scam of the Kansas City Scouts game and said that he would only trade it for another Scouts game. Well, he was offered the trade and he had to back off because he never had the game. He gave 3 different stories to 3 different people about how he got the tape and told of technology that wasn't even invented yet!

Something is very wrong with this guy.

chooch said:
Post 44 of the Best team not to win thread:
Moneyp:
"Chiller: Read it and weep. The entire footage likely ain't available. Before the advent of VHS, most television stations destroyed game film rather than store it. The 1971 Montreal-Boston series has thankfully been preserved. I have most of it stored away on VHS (transferred from half-inch reel to reel, believe it or not). I hope to transfer it to DVD soon."

What do you think, CH? Were you aware of this?

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
ClassicHockey said:
I know he is 100 per cent lying.

For one thing, if he had the footage, he would have tried selling it to the networks.

Hey man, give me a chance before you claim that I'm lying. I do have a significant portion (not all) of the '71 Habs-Bruins series on VHS, transferred from half-inch reel-to-reel obtained from NESN by a friend some twenty years ago. No, I haven't contacted any networks yet, as I'm looking into getting the badly-degraded reels restored so that I can master them directly to DVD. If you know anything about film restoration, you know it's an expensive and time-consuming process, and it's not something that TSN (and certainly not ESPN) are going to spend the money on. Even after that's done, I'm not sure I'd still be allowed to sell them as legally the broadcast is the property of NESN.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
1971 series

I hope you do have those reels.

I know all about film restoration and to restore those reels to the proper format (not DVD) would cost you a fortune. Even the NHL couldn't find any companies or machines to transfer 1/2". NESN wouldn't have had those reels, WSBK would as they televised the games and were in existence 20 years ago. Your story has a few holes in it.

If you had those reels, I could have the big guys pay you a lot of money for them and transfer them properly and give you copies.

Are you talking about the actual televised games or hi-lites? The TV hi-lites of all the games of that series are common.

Are you the same guy that claims he has the Kansas City Scouts games & Cleveland Barons games etc?

moneyp said:
Hey man, give me a chance before you claim that I'm lying. I do have a significant portion (not all) of the '71 Habs-Bruins series on VHS, transferred from half-inch reel-to-reel obtained from NESN by a friend some twenty years ago. No, I haven't contacted any networks yet, as I'm looking into getting the badly-degraded reels restored so that I can master them directly to DVD. If you know anything about film restoration, you know it's an expensive and time-consuming process, and it's not something that TSN (and certainly not ESPN) are going to spend the money on. Even after that's done, I'm not sure I'd still be allowed to sell them as legally the broadcast is the property of NESN.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
ClassicHockey said:
I hope you do have those reels.

I know all about film restoration and to restore those reels to the proper format (not DVD)

Yes, DV or DVCAM, right? Or was I misinformed?

would cost you a fortune. Even the NHL couldn't find any companies or machines to transfer 1/2". NESN wouldn't have had those reels, WSBK would as they televised the games and were in existence 20 years ago. Your story has a few holes in it.

Whatever, I'm not a Boston native. I'm telling you what I was told.

If you had those reels, I could have the big guys pay you a lot of money for them and transfer them properly and give you copies.

You may PM me with the "big guys" information and I'll be happy to get in touch with them. I'm not even asking for a lot of money. I would want knowledge aforehand of the process that will be taken to restore and transfer these reels before letting go of them, however.

Are you talking about the actual televised games or hi-lites? The TV hi-lites of all the games of that series are common.

I'm talking about the televised games, although portions of some are missing and what remains is in understandably bad shape.

Are you the same guy that claims he has the Kansas City Scouts games & Cleveland Barons games etc?

No, I don't traffic in this sort of thing. These are the only reel/tapes that I own.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
1971 series

I sent you the info on who to contact and I will be checking with them to see if you go through with it.

One thing though, don't play games with the NHL.

moneyp said:
Yes, DV or DVCAM, right? Or was I misinformed?

Whatever, I'm not a Boston native. I'm telling you what I was told.

You may PM me with the "big guys" information and I'll be happy to get in touch with them. I'm not even asking for a lot of money. I would want knowledge aforehand of the process that will be taken to restore and transfer these reels before letting go of them, however.

I'm talking about the televised games, although portions of some are missing and what remains is in understandably bad shape.

No, I don't traffic in this sort of thing. These are the only reel/tapes that I own.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
ClassicHockey said:
I sent you the info on who to contact and I will be checking with them to see if you go through with it.

One thing though, don't play games with the NHL.

Or what, they'll have me killed?

If you actually purported to represent an organisation, I'd complain to the management. As it is, I don't know you from Adam. You're just another voice on the internet to me.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
1971 Series

No, I meant that they won't take you seriously if you don't come across as genuine.
It was some helpful advice.

Sure, I would like to find out if you actually contacted the name that I gave you. I want to see if you would keep your word to call like you said you would.

moneyp said:
Or what, they'll have me killed?

If you actually purported to represent an organisation, I'd complain to the management. As it is, I don't know you from Adam. You're just another voice on the internet to me.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
ClassicHockey said:
Sure, I would like to find out if you actually contacted the name that I gave you. I want to see if you would keep your word to call like you said you would.

I haven't yet. If you're still checking, dad, I probably won't get around to e-mailing the guy until next week.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
1971 Series

No problem. I do want to be helpful. After all, if you do have these tapes, they would be the biggest discovery since the 1972 Canada-Russia games. Although I am very skeptical, you deserve a chance to prove your find.

By the way, regarding all those great Boston games that WSBK had televised from 1967 on, the hi-lites were extracted and the cassettes reused. Too bad.

moneyp said:
I haven't yet. If you're still checking, dad, I probably won't get around to e-mailing the guy until next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad