If you don't have the Summit Series '72 DVD yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
Head over to your local sportchek. I was at work tonight, and saw it marked down from 69.99 to...9.97. I'm not sure if that's just for my store (Toronto Eaton Centre) or if it's nationwide, but if you don't have it, there's no better time to get it...I didn't care for it, but once I saw it..hell...$10, don't even have to like it.

Oil_slick9416*

GoM said:
Head over to your local sportchek. I was at work tonight, and saw it marked down from 69.99 to...9.97. I'm not sure if that's just for my store (Toronto Eaton Centre) or if it's nationwide, but if you don't have it, there's no better time to get it...I didn't care for it, but once I saw it..hell...$10, don't even have to like it.

i noticed a few weeks ago the sportchek in my area (marivale mall)was like blowing out everything to do with team canada, or least seemed like it i got a team canada hoodie by nike for 2.97 crazy stuff

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
GoM said:

Where there alot of them? or will they disappear by tomorrow?

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
wow, i'll be sure to check out my local sportcheck tomorrow then...

that'd be awesome if i could get that for only $10...

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I couldn't find it at my local sport chek, but I did pick it up at Walmart for $21 which isn't a problem, especially when you see their sideburns.

I really had no idea they had to split the last period into two seperate halves. Does anyone know the logic behind this rule?

Last edited:

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Benton Fraser asked: "I really had no idea they had to split the last period into two seperate halves. Does anyone know the logic behind this rule?"

The 1972 Summit Series was being played under IIHF international rules, which stated at the time that after the first 10 minutes of the third period or overtime period of games, teams have to change ends of the ice. A horn or buzzer would go off at the 10:00 minute mark of the 3rd period to stop play on the ice.

If you recall these same rules were in place during the 1976 inaugural Canada Cup and it even cost Team Canada a goal during Game 2 of the finals against Czechoslovakia. In OT, Canada scored a goal just as the 10 minute buzzer to change sides of the ice went off resulting in a disallowed goal.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The DVDs are somewhat dissapointing from the sense that apparently they could have edited out the trasmission problems, and probably do some touching up of the colour, but they decided not to. Oh well, still great hockey.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
There are plans to make a DVD set of the Canadian games of the 1976 Canada Cup very soon. (except for the Canada-Finland game which can't be found.)

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
There is a long story on how they acquired all 8 games of the series. Initially, the master copies had:
Game 1 - Half in French
Game 2 - Only the last 5 minutes were initially found
Game 4 - Half in French
Game 8 - Early second period missing.

The way they got around the french language broadcasts was an interesting story in itself.
Also, it was determined that in order to edit out the transmission problems, the audio would have been affected. Actually, to those who watched the original series 'live' on air in 1972 , keeping the transmissions break-ups represented the true experience of watching the games back then.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
There are plans to make a DVD set of the Canadian games of the 1976 Canada Cup very soon. (except for the Canada-Finland game which can't be found.)

Who has plans to do so - who has the rights? TSN recently showed some of these games.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
1976 Canada Cup

It doesn't look like there will be a DVD set coming out now. The quality of the games on video are not good enough. If you remember seeing the games on TSN, you'll know why. Hockey Canada claims copyright.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
ClassicHockey said:
It doesn't look like there will be a DVD set coming out now. The quality of the games on video are not good enough. If you remember seeing the games on TSN, you'll know why. Hockey Canada claims copyright.

If true, that's a shame. Bobby Orr's last great moments in his playing career, and a young Denis Potvin having a superb coming out party.

Kind of weird too, no? The '72 series was salvagable, but not '76?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
1976 Canada Cup

The 1972 series took years to salvage because the footage came from different sources and in both languages. One of the problems was that the only surviving tape of one half of game 1 was in French & one half of game 4 was only in french. That almost killed the whole DVD project as they couldn't mix the 2 languages or even take out the sound for the french parts. I'm sure you would agree that such a DVD set would not look professional.

Fortunately, there was a fellow I knew in Alberta who could help. In 1972, he was out of the country and asked a friend of his to make an audio dub of the games. There were no vcrs then. His friend took the microphone from an audiocassette recorder, put it near the speaker of the television and recorded Foster Hewitt's play by play.
That find was incredibly fortunate. But the speed of that audio recording was different from the video. So, in order to make it work, they recorded the audio on top of the video at 10 second intervals. After 10 seconds, they audio & video did not match. They used that method to complete the process. When you watch the video, you will see 'Edited for television' - Now you know why and how.

Would you buy a DVD set of the great 1976 Canada Cup series if the video was not of broadcast quality? That is the question that the producers are left with.

No english television network kept their own production tapes of the series.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
That's pretty fascinating stuff.

Amazed how invaluable footage - sports or otherwise - is seemingly often disgarded by networks.

Time to check in with your friend's friend to see if he had the audiocassete recorder fired up in '76 as well!

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
The 1972 series took years to salvage because the footage came from different sources and in both languages. One of the problems was that the only surviving tape of one half of game 1 was in French & one half of game 4 was only in french. That almost killed the whole DVD project as they couldn't mix the 2 languages or even take out the sound for the french parts. I'm sure you would agree that such a DVD set would not look professional.

Fortunately, there was a fellow I knew in Alberta who could help. In 1972, he was out of the country and asked a friend of his to make an audio dub of the games. There were no vcrs then. His friend took the microphone from an audiocassette recorder, put it near the speaker of the television and recorded Foster Hewitt's play by play.
That find was incredibly fortunate. But the speed of that audio recording was different from the video. So, in order to make it work, they recorded the audio on top of the video at 10 second intervals. After 10 seconds, they audio & video did not match. They used that method to complete the process. When you watch the video, you will see 'Edited for television' - Now you know why and how.

Would you buy a DVD set of the great 1976 Canada Cup series if the video was not of broadcast quality? That is the question that the producers are left with.

No english television network kept their own production tapes of the series.

Yes I would buy the 76 set; TSN showed most games and they were fine in quality - some had a few seconds missing or some minor blips - whats the problem? Also most games are available on the Net and have been for years.

I dont understand what you are saying re 72 dvd set either; These games were rebroadcast in their entirety first in 1992; the VHS versions have been available all in english or french since then?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
DVD sets

I think people would buy the 1976 DVD set but the producer doesn't think that the quality of the games that TSN aired is up to acceptable broadcast standards for a DVD set.
Regarding the availability of the 1976 games on the net, up until TSN aired the games a couple of years ago, only 2 games from the series had been circulating.

If you saw the entire games of the 1972 series rebroadcast in 1992, then you have a scoop and the producers would have killed for that info. But, it wasn't until at least 1997 that the pursuit for the games actually began. Some vhs versions of some of the games have been circulating but not all of them complete. As for French language versions, only half of game one and half of game four were ever found.

chooch said:
Yes I would buy the 76 set; TSN showed most games and they were fine in quality - some had a few seconds missing or some minor blips - whats the problem? Also most games are available on the Net and have been for years.

I dont understand what you are saying re 72 dvd set either; These games were rebroadcast in their entirety first in 1992; the VHS versions have been available all in english or french since then?

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
I think people would buy the 1976 DVD set but the producer doesn't think that the quality of the games that TSN aired is up to acceptable broadcast standards for a DVD set.
Regarding the availability of the 1976 games on the net, up until TSN aired the games a couple of years ago, only 2 games from the series had been circulating.

If you saw the entire games of the 1972 series rebroadcast in 1992, then you have a scoop and the producers would have killed for that info. But, it wasn't until at least 1997 that the pursuit for the games actually began. Some vhs versions of some of the games have been circulating but not all of them complete. As for French language versions, only half of game one and half of game four were ever found.

I seem to recall that they were indeed rebroadcast in 92 on one of the larger networks as part of teh 20th anniversary - they had some of the players - Savard, Clarke etc in a room commenting between periods. I swear I have Game 8 taped from 1992 - I will double check maybe it wasnt the entire game or maybe it was from later. I recall the x-country tour of the players that year at the Bay chain also.

Youre probably right about the 76 games - the only one I was interested in was game 2 of the finals and the Torornto game so maybe only one of the others was available. I remember watching these games as a kid and the unforgettable song they played at the start of the broadcast about hockey.

Any interest in putting the 79 Challenge Cup on DVD?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
DVDs

There was a very poor b&W copy of game 8 circulating in the early 90's. I think the 20th anniversary footage you saw was from those hi-lite video tapes that were marketed.

I remember the song as well from 1976 - in fact we made sure to find it to package with the DVD set of the 1976 Canada Cup games. Its funny how some things stick with you after all these years.

If the 1976 DVD doesn't get done, then the next series being looked at doing is the WHA-Russia series in 1974. It may not be as popular as 1972 but it still has some interest. As for the 1979 Challenge Cup, the problem with those games is copyright ownership as it was an NHL/International event. The NHL lost that series and that is another factor. Those games are available to collectors on vhs anyways.

chooch said:
I seem to recall that they were indeed rebroadcast in 92 on one of the larger networks as part of teh 20th anniversary - they had some of the players - Savard, Clarke etc in a room commenting between periods. I swear I have Game 8 taped from 1992 - I will double check maybe it wasnt the entire game or maybe it was from later. I recall the x-country tour of the players that year at the Bay chain also.

Youre probably right about the 76 games - the only one I was interested in was game 2 of the finals and the Torornto game so maybe only one of the others was available. I remember watching these games as a kid and the unforgettable song they played at the start of the broadcast about hockey.

Any interest in putting the 79 Challenge Cup on DVD?

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
There was a very poor b&W copy of game 8 circulating in the early 90's. I think the 20th anniversary footage you saw was from those hi-lite video tapes that were marketed.

I remember the song as well from 1976 - in fact we made sure to find it to package with the DVD set of the 1976 Canada Cup games. Its funny how some things stick with you after all these years.

If the 1976 DVD doesn't get done, then the next series being looked at doing is the WHA-Russia series in 1974. It may not be as popular as 1972 but it still has some interest. As for the 1979 Challenge Cup, the problem with those games is copyright ownership as it was an NHL/International event. The NHL lost that series and that is another factor. Those games are available to collectors on vhs anyways.

My favorite year is 1977 and ony 2 habs games are available - finals game 4 which I have and a game the habs lost from the Isles series.

Game 3 of the Finals is the ultimate Lafleur game -dont tell me I'll never see it again?

Can you pull some strings :bow: ?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005

I'm not aware of the Habs-Isles game but the only game that exists from the 1977 Finals is Game 4. The CBC, Molsons, NHL do not have any of the other games.
They were all part of the hundreds of games from the 1970's that a CBC employee erased some years ago.

chooch said:
My favorite year is 1977 and ony 2 habs games are available - finals game 4 which I have and a game the habs lost from the Isles series.

Game 3 of the Finals is the ultimate Lafleur game -dont tell me I'll never see it again?

Can you pull some strings :bow: ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad