If you could unload Anderson right now, would you do it

If you could uload Anderson right now, would you do it?

• Total voters

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
I'd definitely trade Andy for a 2nd rd pick + a later pick. I'm thinking Calgary could use him to bolster their goaltending position and they'd ship us Smith back. We could then try to flip Smith for a 3rd or 4th.

Reactions: Alex1234

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Anderson would easily get a 1 year 4.75M contract if he were available this off season as a free agent.

I totally disagree with this. I think you are really overvaluing Anderson. Like "Oiler's fan" type of overvaluing to be honest.
Anderson has had some solid years here and is a great guy but he's been hit or miss by the season.
He's never been elite though, his numbers are clearly in decline and he's going to be 38 in May.

If he was UFA in the summer he'd likely be signed as a backup or 1B in a tandem, and it would be a 35+ contract. The largest 2 ever 35+ goalie contracts are Pekka Rinne's current deal (much better, younger goalie) at 5MM, and Anderson's current deal.
UFA goalies last summer who were signed to start got: Cam Ward (better, younger, cup champ) - 3MM, Mrazek 1.5MM, Halak 2.75.
I think if Andy was a UFA he'd get signed to like a $2MM deal at best.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
At the deadline, if he's healthy and there's a return to be had, you have to explore it. Usually, there is about one playoff aspiring team who needs some help there.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd definitely trade Andy for a 2nd rd pick + a later pick. I'm thinking Calgary could use him to bolster their goaltending position and they'd ship us Smith back. We could then try to flip Smith for a 3rd or 4th.

It's looking like there might be a good market for goalies at the deadline.

As you mentioned, there is Calgary. Rittich is playing well, but he is unproven in the playoffs. Anderson and Rittich would be a solid 1A/1B tandem for them next season.

Philadelphia is out of the running for the playoffs, but they don't seem to have any ambition to rebuild. It sounds like they want to re-tool and compete right away. They need a goalie as a stopgap for Carter Hart. The off season would be more ideally for them to acquire Anderson, but if they like him and other teams want him, they might have to pull the trigger at the deadline.

Bobrovsky is a UFA, and now there is some sort of situation going on there. If I am CBJ, I would seriously consider exploring what a team in the Western Conference might give up for Bobrovsky. If it's high enough, and Ottawa's asking price for Anderson is reasonable, they could ship out Bobrovsky, bring in Anderson as their new starter, and pocket the difference between what a team paid them for Bob' and what they paid us for Anderson.

Pittsburgh needs a goalie. If we retain on Anderson and/or take back a contract, maybe they would be able to fit in his extra year. If I'm Pittsburgh, and the price for Howard is a 1st, maybe I'd look at Anderson as a rental and hope that I could flip him somewhere at the draft to recoup some assets and not have to worry about that second year. It'd be a bit risky though as Pittsburgh could get stuck with him if nobody bites in the summer. Sens retaining half would make that plan easier.

The Oilers might be a landing spot. Koskinen is playing well for them, and while he's played a lot in the KHL, he's unproven long term in North America. He's also a UFA at the end of the season. Adding Anderson gives them leverage when negotiating with Koskinen while also giving them a backup plan if he walks, or if he falters in the playoffs. We'd have to take back money in this deal since their cap situation is putrid.

It seems like a really good time to be moving a veteran playoff proven goaltender. The above shows why Detroit might not be that out of line to set their opening ask for Jimmy Howard at a first round pick. Look at how difficult it was for us to even find a backup goalie at a reasonable price. If we wait to move Anderson, there might not be as hot of a market for goalies as what there could potentially be next month at the deadline.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
It's looking like there might be a good market for goalies at the deadline.

As you mentioned, there is Calgary. Rittich is playing well, but he is unproven in the playoffs. Anderson and Rittich would be a solid 1A/1B tandem for them next season.

Philadelphia is out of the running for the playoffs, but they don't seem to have any ambition to rebuild. It sounds like they want to re-tool and compete right away. They need a goalie as a stopgap for Carter Hart. The off season would be more ideally for them to acquire Anderson, but if they like him and other teams want him, they might have to pull the trigger at the deadline.

Bobrovsky is a UFA, and now there is some sort of situation going on there. If I am CBJ, I would seriously consider exploring what a team in the Western Conference might give up for Bobrovsky. If it's high enough, and Ottawa's asking price for Anderson is reasonable, they could ship out Bobrovsky, bring in Anderson as their new starter, and pocket the difference between what a team paid them for Bob' and what they paid us for Anderson.

Pittsburgh needs a goalie. If we retain on Anderson and/or take back a contract, maybe they would be able to fit in his extra year. If I'm Pittsburgh, and the price for Howard is a 1st, maybe I'd look at Anderson as a rental and hope that I could flip him somewhere at the draft to recoup some assets and not have to worry about that second year. It'd be a bit risky though as Pittsburgh could get stuck with him if nobody bites in the summer. Sens retaining half would make that plan easier.

The Oilers might be a landing spot. Koskinen is playing well for them, and while he's played a lot in the KHL, he's unproven long term in North America. He's also a UFA at the end of the season. Adding Anderson gives them leverage when negotiating with Koskinen while also giving them a backup plan if he walks, or if he falters in the playoffs. We'd have to take back money in this deal since their cap situation is putrid.

It seems like a really good time to be moving a veteran playoff proven goaltender. The above shows why Detroit might not be that out of line to set their opening ask for Jimmy Howard at a first round pick. Look at how difficult it was for us to even find a backup goalie at a reasonable price. If we wait to move Anderson, there might not be as hot of a market for goalies as what there could potentially be next month at the deadline.
Yes, the goalie market may actually be decent this trade deadline. I can see the Sens getting a decent return for Andy, especially if we take back some $. How many contracts are we retaining on at the moment, just Phaneuf? I think you can hold salary on 3.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Yes, the goalie market may actually be decent this trade deadline. I can see the Sens getting a decent return for Andy, especially if we take back some $. How many contracts are we retaining on at the moment, just Phaneuf? I think you can hold salary on 3.

Only Phaneuf.

We don't have to necessarily retain to take back cash. If certain teams have bad contracts, we could take one of those back. In Edmonton, Spooner would be an example.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It would be foolish not consider offers. Every player is tradable... for the right price of course! (Granted, it may not be possible to get a fair return on a generational player which makes him untradable.)

Before pulling the trigger on any trade, the GM must ensure that the deal aligns with the overall plan/vision/ strategy. The main reason to trade Andy would be to benefit the team and the GM should always be forward thinking and have contingencies in place, especially trades with short-term benefits.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Anderson will have his down season next season so I'd deal him for whatever we can get. He isn't part of the solution going forward and dealing him could give an opportunity to someone who could be part of the solution going forward along with whatever assets we get from him in a trade.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Before pulling the trigger on any trade, the GM must ensure that the deal aligns with the overall plan/vision/ strategy. The main reason to trade Andy would be to benefit the team and the GM should always be forward thinking and have contingencies in place, especially trades with short-term benefits.

In other words... it could be a disaster of a decision! ;)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I only would deal him right away under a few conditions:

1. Ditching his contract lets us have money to keep Duchene and/or Stone
  2. We're offered a first round pick or blue chip type D prospect
  3. The team acquiring him agrees to take Zack Smith too, which plays back into condition number 1
Otherwise keep him and somewhat prevent all our young players from getting completely shell-shocked for another year and move him at next year's TDL.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I'd say yes. He's old and injury prone, and honestly, quite bad nowadays.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about that Colorado pick? If they pick 1st overall or 10th overall, it has the same impact on the Sens either way. It's over and done with.
I worry a bit. I think Dorion has some potential as a GM, his drafting seems strong and I think that is the most important aspect of being a GM. He needs help with contracts but I think they got that in McTavish. He's is horrible trading and seems sketchy with FA's (but the financial limitations make that hard to assess).

But I worry about how reactionary he seems to be, just observational on my part but that's my opinion. I worry that he would make an impulsive decision (like trading for Bobby Ryan moments after losing Alfredsson) should we get bad press for "trading" the 1st overall pick. Perhaps another ****ty "quantity over quality" trade like the Karlsson move. Or re-signing Ceci to 5+ million because "he's the new face of the franchise".

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Losing two top 10 picks within 5 years to overvealuatinf your team thinking you were a contender, we did it with Ryan and it blew up in our face and we did it with Duch and it blew up in our face, has this ever happened to a franchise?

Reactions: Stylizer1

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Losing two top 10 picks within 5 years to overvealuatinf your team thinking you were a contender, we did it with Ryan and it blew up in our face and we did it with Duch and it blew up in our face, has this ever happened to a franchise?
Leafs lost Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel

Reactions: Tuna99

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Just getting out from that contract is enough to trade him. If Dorion can get 3rd round pick or even a conditional pick based on games played/performance, that's just a bonus.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Eklund reporting that the Flyers want Stone and Andy. Lol. After EK getting traded I guess nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why would you unload Anderson? What is the point? To "save money"?

I don't know if people realize how hard it's going to be to reach the cap floor next year, and practically impossible if Dzingel, Ceci, Stone and Duchene are gone. Even if they can only sign Dzingel and Ceci, it's going to be extremely difficult.

SO unless he really really wants out, then ok but if not there's no point. And no contender is going to go with Anderson as their #1, so forget the "he deserves another chance at the cup"

Am I the only one who doesn't care about that Colorado pick? If they pick 1st overall or 10th overall, it has the same impact on the Sens either way. It's over and done with.

Rationally, there's not much reason to care, Colorado plays in the Western conference so it's actually a good thing to get a high end talent out of the east.

Problem is Sens fans already feel shame for "handing out" a top pick plus the shame of losing the trade!

We've been on receiving end of a trade like that or where we did something great with the pick received, happens all the time. Just on top off my head, Spezza (2nd OA), Karlsson (15th OA), Stone (178th OA), White (21st OA), etc.

It's just that for the Duchene trade, we could have had "only" given Turris, Bowers, a ~20th OA pick and a 3rd for Duchene. But a ~3rd OA pick instead of a ~20th OA is very different though.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->