If you could only keep two of Palat, Johnson, Gourde, and Miller, who would you keep?

Which two would you keep?

• Total voters

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Big reason I’d keep Miller over gourde is if we get into a salary cap jam next year or the year after Miller has a limited no trade clause in which has to list 8 teams he would accept a trade too. after July 1st gourde has a full no movement clause for the first three years I believe. Don’t marry gourde dump him out before July 1st! Of course if I could get palat to move that would be my first option but he has to waive his ntc. The value we could get for gourde would be pretty good since we could move him to any team before July 1st.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can I vote none? Trade them all. Gourde to Arizona for the 14th + Connauton. Miller to Pittsburgh for 21 + Ruhwedel. Palat to NJ for 34 + Anaheim 3rd. Johnson to Vancouver for Virtanen + DiPietro + 40. Draft Kaliyev at 14, Seider at 21, Bjornfot at 27, Beecher at 34, Beaucage at 40. Trade both 3rds with Callahan to Colorado for a 7th.

Barre-Barré- - Point - Kucherov
Volkov - Stamkos - Joseph
Killorn - Cirelli - Virtanen
Verheaghe - Paquette - Erne
Martel

Hedman - Karlsson
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Ruhwedel
Rutta/Connauton

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If I had inside knowledge that Palat is coming back fully healthy (which assumes, as has been hinted, that he's been injured for a looong time), then I'd keep Johnson and Palat.

More realistically, I'd keep Johnson and Gourde. I think Gourde might have the highest trade value though, and it would be nice to get a reasonable return. As stated in multiple threads, I like TJ purely for the 5v5 goals, because I don't think we should be trying to shed any of those.

Hockeyfan4453

Jul 26, 2009
City of Champions
Can I vote none? Trade them all. Gourde to Arizona for the 14th + Connauton. Miller to Pittsburgh for 21 + Ruhwedel. Palat to NJ for 34 + Anaheim 3rd. Johnson to Vancouver for Virtanen + DiPietro + 40. Draft Kaliyev at 14, Seider at 21, Bjornfot at 27, Beecher at 34, Beaucage at 40. Trade both 3rds with Callahan to Colorado for a 7th.

Barre-Barré- - Point - Kucherov
Volkov - Stamkos - Joseph
Killorn - Cirelli - Virtanen
Verheaghe - Paquette - Erne
Martel

Hedman - Karlsson
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Ruhwedel
Rutta/Connauton
This is amazing...the thought and strategy involved in this post is purely masterful and I love it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Palat ever got healthy I take him and Johnson in a long shot. Johnson is fantastic just about every time we make the playoffs and we all remember awesome Palat.... That's worth holding onto for me

Killorn and Johnson are the only two pieces of the core that are still endearing to me. They actually we're not even that bad against the CBJ. The rest of the team however.....

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This

Its the same story every year with him. We always bagged on Callahan for being a playoff no show but Miller is another level.

Honestly I have no issues with Cally during the playoffs. Loved his effort and you noticed him out there. I dont remember much of Miller in either of the playoffs here. You could however, say the same for Gourde. Where has he been on the scoresheet in the playoffs? I lean towards Miller because of the size and I like his skillset a tad more, however Gourde's effort game makes it close for me.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Honestly I have no issues with Cally during the playoffs. Loved his effort and you noticed him out there. I dont remember much of Miller in either of the playoffs here. You could however, say the same for Gourde. Where has he been on the scoresheet in the playoffs? I lean towards Miller because of the size and I like his skillset a tad more, however Gourde's effort game makes it close for me.

Most of this is the same rationale I have. On his worst night Callahan was/is our best penalty killer and I find it more valuable than being a Swiss Army knife at forward that doesn't really do anything come playoff time. That's always been Miller's problem. Gourde worries me though because effort doesn't always equal results and in 2 years I'm not seeing it in the playoffs. But make me choose and I'll keep Gourde.

At this point I'm just hoping Palat returns to form. If he did we'd go a long way in solving our playoff woes. If we found one more guy like that it's worth the expense of both Miller and Gourde.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Most of this is the same rationale I have. On his worst night Callahan was/is our best penalty killer and I find it more valuable than being a Swiss Army knife at forward that doesn't really do anything come playoff time. That's always been Miller's problem. Gourde worries me though because effort doesn't always equal results and in 2 years I'm not seeing it in the playoffs. But make me choose and I'll keep Gourde.

At this point I'm just hoping Palat returns to form. If he did we'd go a long way in solving our playoff woes. If we found one more guy like that it's worth the expense of both Miller and Gourde.

Agree about Palat but who knows if that will happen. Honestly, I wouldnt be all that upset if we decided to trade Palat, Gourde, and Miller and just kept Cally. Callahan still has use as a 4th line player, he has some chemistry with some top line guys and he only has 1 year left. We then could probably sign Karlsson and could sign other upcoming RFAs with relative ease. Would just require us to ask Palat to waive his ntc. Dont know if we will do that or not. Just a thought that may happen.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
14FA2571-23E1-4D89-B800-8FB345B616F3.png
67E7E55F-A3DD-4887-AEFB-991FEC6DFBE4.png
Johnson is our worst defensive player. His play without Point and Kucherov is absolutely terrible. It’s actually hilarious how every single one of our players is better defensively without Johnson.

On top of that at his career average shooting% he would’ve only had 22 goals this year so he actually overperformed and still didn’t even get to 50 points on a line with our best 2 players.

I actually prefer Palat over him.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Here's what I don't understand. The advanced stat fanatics act like 5v5 scoring is the only thing that matters in hockey, then why is our 5v5 leading scorer somehow the worst player on our team?

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde's effort is fine but his size becomes a much bigger factor in the playoffs. Johnson's a north-south shooter, whereas Gourde scores mostly on rebounds and tip-ins, but come playoff time he's getting ragdolled. I'm not sold on him as a playoff performer at all.

We're never going to see 2015 TJ again, but he has enough strength to handle the playoffs. He was one of our better playoff forwards in 2018 and he was one of our only guys getting 5v5 chances this year. I think Johnson IS expendable, but he's above the other guys on the list. He's the only one with a solid playoff resume, for starters.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Gourde's effort is fine but his size becomes a much bigger factor in the playoffs. Johnson's a north-south shooter, whereas Gourde scores mostly on rebounds and tip-ins, but come playoff time he's getting ragdolled. I'm not sold on him as a playoff performer at all.

We're never going to see 2015 TJ again, but he has enough strength to handle the playoffs. He was one of our better playoff forwards in 2018 and he was one of our only guys getting 5v5 chances this year. I think Johnson IS expendable, but he's above the other guys on the list. He's the only one with a solid playoff resume, for starters.

TJ has been so clutch in the playoffs with the exception of the sweeps. I thought Gourde would be a decent playoff player but he never shows it. I think its like you said, hes a grindy player who makes his living off of the trash in front of the net goals. Problem is he isnt big enough to score those kind of goals in the playoffs. I also think Johnson is expendable only because of Point and Cirelli. Its just hard to give up players like him who have proved it before.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I went with Palat and Johnson. Their career playoff numbers did play a big part, but I just see them as the more valuable members of this team over Miller and Gourde. If I made 3 tiers of our team, with the top group being the core players and cornerstones, and the 3rd group being expendable or unproven players, I'd have Palat and Johson in the middle group and Gourde and Miller in the 3rd. Obviously there are questions around if Palat can gain some of what he's lost to injuries, but I am overlooking it for the moment because of what he's done in the past playoff runs not just as a point producer, but also a tough defensive guy to go against. I thought he actually had the better playoffs in 2018 than Johnson.

With Miller, I just never fell in love with him. His under performing stats didn't really bother because throughout the season we won regardless if he got on the board or not. And really, there's enough firepower on this team to shoulder the load with or without Miller. But one of the main reasons we went out and got him was to add his large frame to our smallish lineup. That to me has been the more disappointing thing. His game doesn't add to ours the way it should. He's doesn't play with that physical edge we need and the work he does behind the net and in the corners to get pucks is inconsistent. And then so what becomes the point of keeping him? There is still a need to be filled here.

Now Gourde, I am a fan of. But unfortunately he is very replaceable. Guys like Miller are hard to get, hard to develop, but players like Gourde are a lot more common, especially in this franchise. Of all our smaller guys, Gourde's on the bottom of the list when players like Johnson and Point are on his team. Not to mention ABB is waiting in Syracuse as the next in a long line of smaller skilled players we've churned out over the years. Aside from that, unlike Palat, Johnson, or Miller, he lacks a clear role and placement in the lineup. That can be good at times when you need to move him up or down in the regular season, but it's not so great in the playoffs. He's not really a bottom 6 type guy, and like others have said he can't really produce as a top 6 player. I really don't know what to do with him come playoff time.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Keep Johnson Gourde, move the other two, as a package if need be. Miller was supposed to be our forechecking/crease monster but when Mid-April hits, he becomes the Tampax advertising rep. Palat is just a lost cause, he's been hurt too much and become just plain old pathetic. Now if you're the Buffalo GM reading this post, I meant to say Palat will have breakout season next year so get him now!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
@ccman68 is the only other bolts fan who recognizes that johnson is a massive defensive problem.

anyway id only keep gourde lol. if i had to keep another, miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->