Speculation: If you could do one drastic change what would it be?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
TT can not play LW, that's been established, he is much much more comfortable on the right side, I don't know about Williams, and Brown can play both.

Like I said, I don't see Brown being traded and Williams you trade in a package for the right LW, all day every day.

Definition of right LW might vary, but not many are available so I don't see that happening. .

I know TT is a not a LW and there are LW's available, that depends on the situation of the selling team and their needs. And I'm sure DL is aware it's was and remains a weak spot, he'll pull the trigger.
It just depends on what the salary is coming back, for example, Fla has not made it a secret that they are having a fire sale and Tomáš Fleischmann, who at 29, would be a good pickup for 4.5 it would just be moving the pieces to fit him in.
There are teams that would take Stoll and his veteran presence and if DL could do that as well as one of the D or underliners, that would work.

I don't see him going into this years playoffs without that LW and/or replacing RR.

Last edited:

sjmay*

I know TT is a not a LW and there are LW's available, that depends on the situation of the selling team and their needs. And I'm sure DL is aware it's was and remains a weak spot, he'll pull the trigger.
It just depends on what the salary is coming back, for example, Fla has not made it a secret that they are having a fire sale and Tomáš Fleischmann would be a good pickup for 4.5 it would just be moving the pieces to fit him in.
There are teams that would take Stoll and his veteran presence and if DL could do that as well as one of the D or underliners, that would work.

I don't see him going into this years playoffs without that LW and/or replacing RR.

I can see him keeping RR into the playoffs,

I like Flesichman, not sure how many years he has left,

Move Stoll NOW to Toronto for a prospect/pick, move Lewis to C, you don't lose too much there, you still have,

Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Carter, Lewis, Frattin, as penalty killers,

Not sure what FLA would want in return for Fleischman, a pick/prospect, they retain enough salary to make it work, and you have,

Fleischman, Kopitar, Williams
Richards, Carter, Toffoli
Brown, Lewis, Frattin
Clifford, Nolan, Carcillo,

And probably someone I missed.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I can see him keeping RR into the playoffs,

I like Flesichman, not sure how many years he has left,

Move Stoll NOW to Toronto for a prospect/pick, move Lewis to C, you don't lose too much there, you still have,

Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Carter, Lewis, Frattin, as penalty killers,

Not sure what FLA would want in return for Fleischman, a pick/prospect, they retain enough salary to make it work, and you have,

Fleischman, Kopitar, Williams
Richards, Carter, Toffoli
Brown, Lewis, Frattin
Clifford, Nolan, Carcillo,

And probably someone I missed.

On Toronto-Depending on how bad Bollands injuury (surgery to tendon) was, they might have to trade for a C, they are short 2 centers now, JVR is practcing today at center to slot there due to the shortage.

Vey should replace SToll eventually, so why not get some assets back.
They have to do something there, that bottom 6 just isn't producing.

sjmay*

On Toronto-Depending on how bad Bollands injuury (surgery to tendon) was, they might have to trade for a C, they are short 2 centers now, JVR is practcing today at center to slot there due to the shortage.

Vey should replace SToll eventually, so why not get some assets back.
They have to do something there, that bottom 6 just isn't producing.

They are saying Bolland's injury is like Karlsson's, and they aren't sure when Bozak is coming back so they need a C.

You trade him for a prospect and a pick, and you plug in the youth that we have, it makes no sense to trade Stoll for say, McClemenet etc,

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
God I love you.

Notice that most of the teams that are doing well right now are speedy teams that capitalize on mistakes in transition. Sharks, Ducks, Lightning, Avalanche, etc--these are all quick-strike offensive teams that pounce and make you pay for mistakes. The season and playoffs get more tight-checking as things move on, and those are the games this team thrives in.

I think the Sharks and Ducks at least are better than in previous years, but their paces, imo, are inflated by the sloppy hockey that is played at the beginning of the year. Avs and Lightning are going to fall to the middle of the pack/first round exit when the grind kicks in.

In contrast, we've mostly beat ourselves. It's not typical of the Kings to make stupid mistakes, take undisciplined penalties, etc.

I use certain games as a measuring stick, and the recent game against the Sharks is a good example. When the Kings play their heavy "A" game, they are a tough team to beat.

You can't play that style every game over an 82-game schedule. During a 7-game series, you bet. That doesn't mean that there are issues that still need to be addressed. At this point I'm a bit more concerned about the quickness of transition from offense to defense. Doughty needs a partner that can play a lot of minutes with him. I think Muzzin can do it eventually, but Sutter is going to have to show some patience with him.

I wouldn't mind sitting Regehr in favor of Martinez at all.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
I would fire D.S. and get a coach willing to let his defenseman activate and play more of an exciting brand of Hockey.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
I would fire D.S. and get a coach willing to let his defenseman activate and play more of an exciting brand of Hockey.

The Kings defense ARE activated. The problem is half of them are slow as **** with zero offensive skills. That's by design from Lombardi.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Kings d is supposed to be
Offense D - Defense D
Offense D - Defense D
Offense D - Defense D

but the defensive D suck and are too slow to cover the offensive d pinching

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Kings d is supposed to be
Offense D - Defense D
Offense D - Defense D
Offense D - Defense D

but the defensive D suck and are too slow to cover the offensive d pinching

in reality its

Off. D (Muzz) /Off. D (Doughty)
Def. D ( Regehr) /Off. D (Slava)
Def. D (Mitchell) /Def. D (Greene)

the bottom pairing has been extremely ineffective, especially on the PK which is where they are supposed to be money. bear in mind they both have seen little to no action in a year and will take some time getting adjusted to game speed

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
in reality its

Off. D (Muzz) /Off. D (Doughty)
Def. D ( Regehr) /Off. D (Slava)
Def. D (Mitchell) /Def. D (Greene)

the bottom pairing has been extremely ineffective, especially on the PK which is where they are supposed to be money. bear in mind they both have seen little to no action in a year and will take some time getting adjusted to game speed

Its funny because the Martinez - Greene bottom pairing is statistically the best pairing we had all year.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Trade both Stoll and Regehr, freeing up roughly 6 million in cap space. Move Richards to third line center and spread out the scoring. Have a "two-fer" combination on each of the top three lines. Move Lewis to fourth line full time, where he should be. Allow Martinez and Muzzin full time duties on D, trade for a solid D prospect or young D ASAP if needed.

King-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Richards-Frattin
Clifford-Vey-Lewis
Nolan, Carcillo

Muzzin-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
Bodnarchuk

Quick
Scrivens

Looks like a much more balanced lineup with youth, speed, and energy throughout. Every line has an identity and every line has scoring potential. The D is mobile and transitional rather than big and bruising. Mitchell and Greene can still retain PK time, supplemented by Doughty and Voynov.

We don't really sacrifice much of the LA identity (big, strong, hard hitting, relentless) with these moves. Regehr and Stoll are basically veteran plugs standing in the way of the development of some of our younger players. I see no reason why a shakeup like this is not possible. And all in all, we clear much needed cap space going into the deadline this season as well as the offseason.

Unfortunately, this likely won't happen for a number of reasons. Firstly being Sutter and Lombardi's hard on for guys like Regehr and Stoll; secondly the fact that both of those contracts are likely untradeable.

This is all easily addressed from within the organization, a luxury a lot of teams don't have. It's simply a matter of DL and Sutter having the guts to step outside their comfort zone and set aside personal biases toward certain players that are hurting the team on the ice, both directly and indirectly.

Edit: Forgot about Fraser, and management should, as well.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
1. Trade Fraser.
2. Trade Stoll.

Doing those moves opens up permanent spots for Vey and Toffoli.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
King-Richards-Carter
Carcillo-Vey-Toffoli
Clifford-Lewis-Nolan/Frattin

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I think it would be sick if the Kings can somehow reunite Toffoli and Vey but using a big rugged winger like Clifford or Carcillo to create space and protect them.

Then, next year, you put Pearson in that spot, let Carcillo go and move Clifford to the 4th line...or trade Clifford, re-sign Carcillo and move him to the 4th line.

TopGunner

Gunning For Playoffs
Oct 8, 2013
Rowland Heights Ca.
Trade both Stoll and Regehr, freeing up roughly 6 million in cap space. Move Richards to third line center and spread out the scoring. Have a "two-fer" combination on each of the top three lines. Move Lewis to fourth line full time, where he should be. Allow Martinez and Muzzin full time duties on D, trade for a solid D prospect or young D ASAP if needed.

King-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Richards-Frattin
Clifford-Vey-Lewis
Nolan, Carcillo

Muzzin-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
Bodnarchuk

Quick
Scrivens

Looks like a much more balanced lineup with youth, speed, and energy throughout. Every line has an identity and every line has scoring potential. The D is mobile and transitional rather than big and bruising. Mitchell and Greene can still retain PK time, supplemented by Doughty and Voynov.

We don't really sacrifice much of the LA identity (big, strong, hard hitting, relentless) with these moves. Regehr and Stoll are basically veteran plugs standing in the way of the development of some of our younger players. I see no reason why a shakeup like this is not possible. And all in all, we clear much needed cap space going into the deadline this season as well as the offseason.

Unfortunately, this likely won't happen for a number of reasons. Firstly being Sutter and Lombardi's hard on for guys like Regehr and Stoll; secondly the fact that both of those contracts are likely untradeable.

This is all easily addressed from within the organization, a luxury a lot of teams don't have. It's simply a matter of DL and Sutter having the guts to step outside their comfort zone and set aside personal biases toward certain players that are hurting the team on the ice, both directly and indirectly.

Edit: Forgot about Fraser, and management should, as well.

+1 This defiantly this. Now how to implant this into Sutter's brain...

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I don't see Carter with two young players on either side. I like that line-up but would take out Pearson and insert Carcillo to get back some size.

Also, that 3rd line awful. Brown-Richards and Frattin? Sheesh. Maybe put Lewis in there instead. Frattin is the worst.

sjmay*

1. Trade Fraser.
2. Trade Stoll.

Doing those moves opens up permanent spots for Vey and Toffoli.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
King-Richards-Carter
Carcillo-Vey-Toffoli
Clifford-Lewis-Nolan/Frattin

Why would you waste Toffoli's talents on 8-10 minutes a night?

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings 3rd line plays way more than 10 minutes...Plus he would get power play time.

No place for TT when Carter comes back unless the Kings keep Richards at LW or move him to 3rd line Center.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Kings 3rd line plays way more than 10 minutes...Plus he would get power play time.

No place for TT when Carter comes back unless the Kings keep Richards at LW or move him to 3rd line Center.

That depends on TT and how is fares. If he continues to show what he did in the last game and produces (6 SOG which led the team) , then he should stay in the top 6 where he'll get the minutes he needs and the skilled players to offset him. And he could go on the 1st line with Kopi and Brown. Williams could move to the 3rd. Or until they find an LW for the 2nd, Richie could stay there.
But I wouldn't drop TT to the 3rd.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings top 6 is essentially set when healthy...

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
King-Richards-Carter

Kopitar and Williams have that chemistry they have had for years. I don't see Toffoli in the top 6 when the Kings are healthy. He will surely slide in the 3rd RW spot...Which is occupied by Frattin and Lewis, both our crappiest forwards.

That's a pretty tall order coming off a cup win, conference finals appearance, and being significantly over .500 after a rocky start.

This is what is so comical with these threads. I get having disagreements with Sutter but who in the hell are you going to hire that is going to replace that? Forget Sutter, instead of saying fire the coach, tell us who should replace him and why. Then go have a read of the "fire Joel Quenville" thread from the Blackhawks board before they won the Cup the first time.

My drastic solution is the stay the course and re-evaluate at the end of the season. The Kings are stuck between a rock and hard place with the cap and trading one of the core players right now would be foolish. Any move outside of moving a core player is going to net neglible results.

It is pretty funny that this reactionary shortsighted commentary never ends. You guys are like a bunch crack ****** that always need something more. Like the kids on this cell phone commercial..

This is the attention span and intellectual capacity of the average (sports) Kings fan:

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
This is what is so comical with these threads. I get having disagreements with Sutter but who in the hell are you going to hire that is going to replace that? Forget Sutter, instead of saying fire the coach, tell us who should replace him and why. Then go have a read of the "fire Joel Quenville" thread from the Blackhawks board before they won the Cup the first time.

Can we kidnap Tippett?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don't see Carter with two young players on either side. I like that line-up but would take out Pearson and insert Carcillo to get back some size.

Also, that 3rd line awful. Brown-Richards and Frattin? Sheesh. Maybe put Lewis in there instead. Frattin is the worst.

I think Carter would be the PERFECT center between Pearson and Toffoli. Carter already had tremendous chemistry with Toffoli last year in the playoffs, no reason to think that'd disappear. Pearson's style is more of a crash and bang type player who can also skate, thus complimenting two shooters in Carter and Toffoli.

Carter would be a fantastic mentor for both of these players and lead by example, on and off the ice. I could also see opponents isolating this line to shutdown, opening up a lot of room for Kopi and/or Richards' lines. Either way it works.

Frattin may be the invisible man this season but he still has a skill set uniquely situated on a line next to Brown and Richards. All three players have wheels and can get in on the forecheck. That line would be hellish to play against considering the forecheck potential there. Richards' smarts anchors that line, too. The only thing I would worry about is that they're a little undersized, cumulatively.

This thread asked for drastic changes - that's one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad