If you could change anything in the NHL.....

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If I could change one thing, it would be to make all regular season games the same number of points. No more "games are worth 3 points because it went beyond regulation while other games are worth 2 points because they ended in 60 minutes".

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Delay of game for pucks into the crowd. Make it like icings: do it in your own zone and you can't change. Making it a penalty is excessive punishment that only serves to artificially inflate goal scoring numbers while doing nothing to improve the actual quality of the game.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I would love to change the point system. :deadhorse(Maybe, we should start a online petition).

If we are in the business on creating more goals, lets make it so teams can’t “ICE” pucks during a PK. Seems counter productive.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would love to change the point system. :deadhorse(Maybe, we should start a online petition).

If we are in the business on creating more goals, lets make it so teams can’t “ICE” pucks during a PK. Seems counter productive.

I think they would do it anyway and just take their icing, which is why the rule is in place.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
There's literally no reason to keep the trapezoid since Brodeur retired.
Keep the trapezoid but make the rule the opposite so that the goalie cannot touch it within the trapezoid.
No longer will the goalie be able to stop a shoot in and tee it up for the defencemen behind the net. If the goalie wants to go into the corner to play the puck that can often lead to a mistake and they are then far from their net.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Remove obstruction. Call more penalties and make it consistent throughout a season. Allow teams to challenge if a penalty isn't called like most other sports.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Remove obstruction. Call more penalties and make it consistent throughout a season. Allow teams to challenge if a penalty isn't called like most other sports.

I don't know of any sport that allows you to challenge non-calls...

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Goalie pads!
Look at game footage from the 70's and you will have an idea what the equipment should look like.
Narrow pads that don't come up to the goalie's waist (so that there will be a 5 hole again), small blocker and catching glove and no cheater (with a name like "cheater" you should know it serves only one purpose).

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Goalie pads!
Look at game footage from the 70's and you will have an idea what the equipment should look like.
Narrow pads that don't come up to the goalie's waist (so that there will be a 5 hole again), small blocker and catching glove and no cheater (with a name like "cheater" you should know it serves only one purpose).

I’m 100% fine with that as long as the pads are damn strong and goalies can’t get bruises from pucks

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Give cap relief to teams for players they've drafted or traded for. Having a cap on signing free agents is fair enough, but teams should be able to keep their players together. It shouldn't be at the point where fans are more concerned with an impending cap crunch than actually enjoying their team
Seems convenient coming from a leafs fan...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cricket and Tennis come to mind.
tenor.gif

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I am frustrated by the face off dismissal by the linesman...as I don't know what the hell is going on! Enough already ,drop the puck ,the game isn't about you,linesman!

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Wish list:

70 game regular season, no back-to-back games

19 y/o entry draft (more NHL ready players entering the league each year)

90 foot-wide rink size (vs current 85)

10 minute OT with no shootout. (There is nothing wrong with a hard-fought tie game)

No-touch icing

Ideally, less teams but contraction is virtually impossible at this point.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Shorter regular season every year.

Every 4 years long midwinter break for full and obligatory participation to a non-gimmick best-on-best Olympic hockey tournament (Adequate clause concerning this in every NHL-player contract: "If you play NHL you'll also play in Olympics if your National team calls, and you're able to play") .

Abolition of 3-on-3 OTs and SOs, re-establishment of Ties, points: 3 for win, 1 for tie, 0 for loss.

Expansion to International overseas division(s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad