If you could change anything in the NHL.....

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This, except maybe two or more in a row can called for be delay of game (I think the same goes for icings? 3 or 4 in a row results in a penalty doesn't it?)

Get rid of the trapezoid

Playoffs are 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15 etc. regardless of conference. Best team faces the worst team, and so on and so forth. Often times the Conference Final ends up being the "real" SCF because the best teams are locked in the same conference or division..

Get rid of 3-on-3 overtime, it's almost as gimmicky as a shootout. Just do 10 or 20 minutes of 4-on-4, then a shootout. And don't give me some crap about player fatigue, these are professional athletes, I'm sure they can play 32 minutes instead of 26 minutes for a game.

4 more bad ideas....

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I would limit the draft lottery to the bottom 5 teams only. The fact that teams who barely missed the playoffs can jump to 1 or 2 like we’ve seen with the Flyers and Hurricanes is pretty dumb in my opinion.

Reactions: 555Upstairs

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As a fan of one of the 3 richest teams in the league that is running into a bit of cap crunch. Remove the cap.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Make the schedule a bit more consistent. Next week for example:
Mon - 2 games
Tues - 11 games
Wed - 1 game
Thur - 13 games
Fri - 3 games

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
4 things
1st and foremost get rid of the damn gimmick. No shootouts ,OT is played 5 on 5 and either play till a team wins or back to ties.
2nd is playoff format. 1-16,2-15,3-14 ETC.
3rd Refs all get trained on the same rule book and enforce the rules as per the book.
4th. All teams cap are calculated after taxes are taken out.

555Upstairs

Unregistered User
Aug 13, 2016
Linz, Austria
In order of importance:

• 1-8 playoffs
  • Bring back ties, no regular season OT (even though I will admit that 3 on 3 OT is awesome).
  • Scrap the lottery, worst team picks first (or at least go back to one of the old systems where you only had one lottery that heavily favoured the worst couple of teams).
  • No more obligatory dark jerseys vs white jerseys. Let teams wear whatever jersey they want as long as colours don't clash.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
A few that I agree with already in here...
- 1 v 16 playoffs (or higher seeds get to choose their opponent)
- whites at home (or any non-clashing colours as stated by 555)
- players mic'd up

I'd like to see instigator penalties called for trying to fight someone after a clean hit (seems like it is the definition of the rule but never gets called?).

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Get rid off the offside challenge. Make it automatic review after a goal. If they can't find anything obvious within replaying it a couple times, let it stand. This eliminates the obvious offsides while not obsessing over the inconsequential ones.

member 151739

Get rid of the offside challenge.

Move all Canadian teams to places like Texas or Louisiana.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
1. Lose the salary cap.
2. Lose Bettman.
3. Shrink the size of the goalie pads.
4. I liked the idea someone else had about limiting the lottery picks to the bottom 5 or 6 teams.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Maybe its just me being a tin foil hat conspirator but Ive always thought the NHL was a tid bit biased to larger markets and big name players than to smaller or ave name players. Like a small tap on Crosby would lead to a penalty while the same play is done to another and isnt called. Or they give more PPs to the bigger market than small.

First of all, am I right about that or am I just crazy? I dont know if anybody has done any research to see if that is true.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
1. No icing allowed on penalty kills
2. No shootout. 10 minute OT or a tie.

Came to say this.
+
No delay of game for puck over glass, treat it as an icing.
Cancel the offside challenge, it's not where a game is won/lost.
Replace it with minor penalties review (missed high stick for example)

Reactions: BlackDogg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad