If Yakupov was 2011 draft eligible...

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I hate this comparison, Ovechkin is 6'2" 235 lbs, and size is a major part of his game. Yakupov is 5'10" 170 lbs, he'll probably bulk up to 190 lbs or so in his prime, but Ovechkin wouldn't be Ovechkin if he was 5'10".

Yakupov is slippery but strong on his skates, quite a puck handler, goes hard to the net, in the couple times I've seen the Sting this year he looks more like Parise than Ovy. In terms of body language on the ice and general mentality, though, he unfortunately reminds me a touch of Radulov.

I'm not sure there's anything unfortunate about Radulov. The dude wants to play in the NHL, didn't get fair treatment in Nashville, so he bailed. I would too, most of us would. Fact is, he's the best player outside of the NHL by a massive margin, and I think if he comes back he'll be top 15 in scoring at the very least.

Anyway, in a draft as weak as this one, Yakupov is first overall without a shadow of a doubt. He's a contender for first in next year's draft, and that's a draft that has a stupid amount of high end talent.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I hate this comparison, Ovechkin is 6'2" 235 lbs, and size is a major part of his game. Yakupov is 5'10" 170 lbs, he'll probably bulk up to 190 lbs or so in his prime, but Ovechkin wouldn't be Ovechkin if he was 5'10".

Yakupov is slippery but strong on his skates, quite a puck handler, goes hard to the net, in the couple times I've seen the Sting this year he looks more like Parise than Ovy. In terms of body language on the ice and general mentality, though, he unfortunately reminds me a touch of Radulov.

I ment the way he dominates in the offensive zone and is able to get a shot off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad