Proposal: If we somehow get JT...

??

• Total voters

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Think that type of move wold be ideal in the summer , not Ekblad though, Parayko, OEL, Slavin, Trouba? Sure.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
2019-20
Salary cap: 85M
Salary: 84.263M

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(10) Nylander(6.5)
Marleau(6.25) Kadri(4.5) Marner(6.5)
Johnsson(1.25) Tavares(10) Brown(2.1)
Grundstrom(.925) Aaltonen(1) Kapanen(1.5)
Leivo(1)

Rielly(5) Doughty(9)
Dermott(.863) Zaitsev(4.5)
Borgman(1.5) Carrick(1.5)
Liljegren(.925)

Andersen(5)
Sparks(1)

Kessel (1.2)

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
2019-20
Salary cap: 85M
Salary: 84.263M

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(10) Nylander(6.5)
Marleau(6.25) Kadri(4.5) Marner(6.5)
Johnsson(1.25) Tavares(10) Brown(2.1)
Grundstrom(.925) Aaltonen(1) Kapanen(1.5)
Leivo(1)

Rielly(5) Doughty(9)
Dermott(.863) Zaitsev(4.5)
Borgman(1.5) Carrick(1.5)
Liljegren(.925)

Andersen(5)
Sparks(1)

Kessel (1.2)

Realistically you can get Borgman and Johnsson for what Leivo signed for, Nylander on Ehlers contract and you’re down to 83M.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I think the entire purpose of bringing Tavares in is to drive home our advantage (i.e. unrelenting "wave after wave" type offense).

You want a situation where teams have to pick their poison. If they defend Matthews-Nylander, who will stop Tavares-Marner? And of course who will stop Kadri?

Taking one of these offensive pieces out sort of deflates that idea.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
I’m honestly just curious. Everyone says we can’t sign JvR at 6mil. How can we afford Tavares at 8-10m or more.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I’m honestly just curious. Everyone says we can’t sign JvR at 6mil. How can we afford Tavares at 8-10m or more.

Either would fit. Difference is, Tavares is a better player, better defensively and would inherently become a core piece if signed. JVR needs to be sheltered to be effective and isn't good defensively, hence him being a complimentary piece. Not to mention with 35+ goals, he would command a lot more than 6 mill given he has outscored his comparable UFA wingers in goals.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Would you trade Willy Nylander for a guy like Aaron Ekblad or Colton Parayko if we were able to get John Tavares?

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - - Tavares - Brown
Kapanen - Kadri - Johnsson
Grundstrom - Goat - Leivo

Rielly - - - ____
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman - Carrick

I don't think you would need to trade Nylander to get either of them.

If a combo of the below assets couldn't get us Parayko than somethings wrong:

1st Round Pick
2nd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick
Zaitsev
Gardiner
Carrick
Rosen
Nielsen
Brown
Hyman
Leivo
Bracco
Timashov
Gauthier

For example:

1st + 2nd + Zaitsev + Brown + Bracco + Nielsen + Gauthier (for Parayko)

Zaitsev isn't very good this year. But the difference between Parayko & Zaitsev is not worth more than a 1st + 2nd + Brown + Bracco + Nielsen + Gauthier....

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

The people saying we can't sign JVR don't follow the cap. We will lose flexibilty if we sign JVR though. But once Marleau expires we'll have plenty of room again. The only real cap crunch will be in 2019-20.

member 300185

Would you trade Willy Nylander for a guy like Aaron Ekblad or Colton Parayko if we were able to get John Tavares?

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - - Tavares - Brown
Kapanen - Kadri - Johnsson
Grundstrom - Goat - Leivo

Rielly - - - ____
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman - Carrick

Absolutely not! And the 2 are not mutually exclusive to each other. That is clearly 2 different topics.

Nylander is a superstar in the making to go along with our other superstars.

Our D will be developed within.....well, at least until Doughty becomes a leaf next year.

If we can afford JT, then you sign him, that simple. When your nucleus is Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Brown, Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, Lilegrin, then you are a cup contender year after year until it happens.

That said, if I had to pick one other the other between JT and Doughty, I pick Doughty every time. JT or Doughty puts us over the top but we cant afford both.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Absolutely not! And the 2 are not mutually exclusive to each other. That is clearly 2 different topics.

Nylander is a superstar in the making to go along with our other superstars.

Our D will be developed within.....well, at least until Doughty becomes a leaf next year.

If we can afford JT, then you sign him, that simple. When your nucleus is Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Brown, Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, Lilegrin, then you are a cup contender year after year until it happens.

That said, if I had to pick one other the other between JT and Doughty, I pick Doughty every time. JT or Doughty puts us over the top but we cant afford both.

Dead on. If you knew Doughty was going to walk then you might pass on JT. JT could put us over the top next year. Are Leafs willing to risk losing a serious run at the cup next year?

Reactions: NovaLeaf

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
Keep Willy, kids a star. We are losing JVR, Bozak and maybe Komarov. Marleau is only getting older. Yes we have the replacements in players like Johnsson, Grundstrom, Korshkov and Aaltonen but none of them are near the level Nylander is at or ever will be. The emergence of Dermott has made our D less of a problem and we still have Lily coming up in a couple years plus whoever we draft in the meantime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->